DVD Talk
Artists who were great with their group, but disappointing as solo acts [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Artists who were great with their group, but disappointing as solo acts

DJariya
09-16-16, 09:41 AM
Thought this might make an interesting topic.

This is obviously highly subjective to one's personal opinion.

When I say disappointing as a solo act, it could mean either you thought their songs were disappointing creatively or either sales were disappointing and their album(s) ended up being flops.

A couple I can think of off the topic of my head:

Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac. Only 1 Gold record, which she made back in 1984 as a solo act.

Andrea Corr from The Corrs. I personally did not like her solo debut album at all. She released a follow up, but now she's back to performing with The Corrs again.

Terry Ellis from En Vogue. She released a solo album back in 1995 and it ended up being a bomb. She went back to En Vogue eventually.

Also, wouldn't Lauryn Hill from The Fugees be considered a disappointment to some? Her solo debut was a platinum smash and then she just disappeared.

And then there's Nicole Scherzinger from The Pussycat Dolls. She had success with the group and I was looking forward to her solo debut, but I guess her label really mismanaged her and her album was a massive bomb. Now she's more of a reality TV/competition star.

The Cow
09-16-16, 09:48 AM
Peter Cetera - Chicago
Bruce Dickenson - Iron Maiden
Rob Halford - Judas Priest (some of his side projects were 'okay')

DJariya
09-16-16, 09:56 AM
^^ Good one with Cetera. He had only 1 platinum record after he left Chicago and that was 30 years ago. And that album was a hit only because he had that duet with Amy Grant and Glory of Love.

All his future albums were disappointments. He's 72 now and I can't really say he had a successful solo career. He should have gone back to Chicago. At least they're still performing regularly.

rocket1312
09-16-16, 02:12 PM
Without giving it too much thought, I imagine the vast majority of artists who leave successful bands go on to somewhat disappointing solo careers. For every Peter Gabriel or Beyonce out there, there's probably about 100 who didn't live up to expectations. Heck, despite all of their individual successes, you could put all four Beatles on that list.

Jason
09-16-16, 04:03 PM
Ozzy Osbourne.

He was the singer for one of the darkest, heaviest bands to come along. Real innovators with a singular, dangerous vision. When he went solo, he turned into an 80's metalhead cartoon. Prince of Darkness my ass. Prince of marketing is more like it. Nothing he's done as a solo artist is as dark as Sabatage. Yes, some of his solo work is good, and the Randy Rhoads material stands out in the genre, but the whole thing is a very profitable joke.

And of course, nowadays he's known as the mumbling buffoon who shouts "Sharon!!" and who foisted Zakk Wylde on us.

Obviously, I'm talking about being disappointing creatively here, as Ozzy's solo career has made as much as ten Black Sabbaths ever would.

rw2516
09-16-16, 04:29 PM
Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Ron Wood
Mick Taylor
Jimmy Page
Glen Frey
Crosby, Stills, Nash(individually in comparison to Neil Young)
Paul Kantner
Paul Rodgers( this one is a little different. Does forming a band to do your solo albums count?)
Joe Perry

Ozzy raises the question of artists in a well known band who became bigger than the band ever was. Rod Stewart, Joe Walsh.

Hazel Motes
09-16-16, 05:29 PM
http://www.relaxandrelease.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Celebrity-Yoga-Sting-Gordon-Sumner-English-Singer-Musician-2.jpg

Nick Danger
09-16-16, 06:39 PM
Roger Waters from Pink Floyd.

Peter Wolf and the rest of the J. Geils Band were hopeless without each other.

Perkinsun Dzees
09-16-16, 07:39 PM
Jane Wiedlin

I kind of like some of her solo stuff, but unlike Belinda Carlisle, she was a commercial flop as a solo artist.

Josh-da-man
09-16-16, 08:36 PM

Chemical Wedding would have been a fucking killer Maiden album.

Ozzy Osbourne.

He was the singer for one of the darkest, heaviest bands to come along. [...] and the Randy Rhoads material stands out in the genre, but the whole thing is a very profitable joke.

Blizzard and Diary are really great albums. Bark is pretty good, and Ultimate Sin has some good songs, but after that his solo work took a downward trajectory.

astrochimp
09-16-16, 08:42 PM
Although I like his solo stuff, Morrissey never equaled his work with The Smiths.

Paul McCartney also.

Space Ape Mafia
09-17-16, 10:09 AM

He had a really good three album run to close out his solo career (for now).

Josh-da-man
09-17-16, 10:42 AM
Bruce Dickinson solo > Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley

Falc04
09-17-16, 10:43 AM
A second vote for Roger Waters from Pink Floyd

Ky-Fi
09-17-16, 10:44 AM
Although I like his solo stuff, Morrissey never equaled his work with The Smiths.

I might slightly disagree with that. Or at least I'd put it this way: when I went to see Morrissey live a couple years ago, I really didn't care if he played any Smiths songs or not. He's just got so many great tunes from his solo career--and his solo stuff got a little harder-edged here and there, too. You're probably right, but it's a pretty close call for me.

auto
09-17-16, 11:15 AM
I might slightly disagree with that. Or at least I'd put it this way: when I went to see Morrissey live a couple years ago, I really didn't care if he played any Smiths songs or not. He's just got so many great tunes from his solo career--and his solo stuff got a little harder-edged here and there, too. You're probably right, but it's a pretty close call for me.

I think you hit the nail on the head though. Killer songs from a long solo career but his albums with the Smiths were better overall.

inri222
09-17-16, 11:42 AM
Glenn Danzig (Love the first 4 Danzig albums but they can't touch The Misfits & Samhain material.)
Siouxsie Sioux
Peter Murphy

Mondo Kane
09-17-16, 12:32 PM
Jimmy Page

I remember seeing a music video from his Outrider album. It was so awkward to watch a (Performance) video where the lead singer is hardly shown.

hdnmickey
09-17-16, 01:00 PM
A second vote for Roger Waters from Pink Floyd

Third.

I'll also put a second vote out there for Sting. After those first 3 albums things went down hill fast. But I'm reading good things about his upcoming album. Supposedly a back to the form of those first three.

Falc04
09-17-16, 01:18 PM
I remember seeing a music video from his Outrider album. It was so awkward to watch a (Performance) video where the lead singer is hardly shown.

That said, Outrider was a very good album. One side hard rock, the other slow blues. I remember I had the cassette, and would keep rewinding the blues side.

cdollaz
09-17-16, 01:55 PM
I prefer Morrissey over The Smiths also. More variety.

hdnmickey
09-17-16, 02:50 PM
Pete Townsend? Some great singles, but overall, pretty disappointing.

Ky-Fi
09-17-16, 10:30 PM
I'll also put a second vote out there for Sting. After those first 3 albums things went down hill fast. But I'm reading good things about his upcoming album. Supposedly a back to the form of those first three.

Sting is an odd case---it seems like after the Police broke up, Sting lost any desire to really rock out. Other artists like Joe Strummer and Paul Weller went on to solo careers, and although they kind of mellowed out, they occasionally put out some rocking tunes. The Police had some really punk-ish, rocking songs (that Sting wrote)---but did Sting EVER do any real rockers after The Police?

hdnmickey
09-18-16, 11:08 AM
Given the sound of both GITM and Syncronicity, I've never expected Sting's solo work to be anything other than an extension of those albums. They had not recorded punk flavored songs like Fall Out since they started enjoying success on top 40 radio. Closest we got was the couple oddities on each album, usually sung by Andy or Stewart. Honestly, I had never heard those first punky non-album singles until that Message in Box release.

BearFan
09-18-16, 11:44 AM
Bruce Dickinson solo > Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley

This .. easily. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are fantastic records .. the others are all pretty damn good too

movieguru
09-18-16, 01:29 PM
Most of The Beatles.

mcnabb
09-20-16, 06:35 AM
^^ Good one with Cetera. He had only 1 platinum record after he left Chicago and that was 30 years ago. And that album was a hit only because he had that duet with Amy Grant and Glory of Love.

All his future albums were disappointments. He's 72 now and I can't really say he had a successful solo career. He should have gone back to Chicago. At least they're still performing regularly.

I do remember he had a hit song in 1992 'Restless Heart' as that was the last time I heard of anything relevant from him.

I would say Susanna Hoffs after she left the Bangles as her solo career failed. If you watch the VH1 Documentary, the other Bangles even admit they were happy when she failed her solo career.

Paff
09-20-16, 07:13 PM
I don't know why artists even "go solo" in the first place. It's not like when they do, they play all the instruments themselves. Instead, they replace their bandmates with (usually) average studio musicians. I guess there's more creative freedom as a solo artist, but take Sting for example. If you look at the songs of The Police, I'd say a good 70-80% say "words and music by Sting". He always did lead vocals. What more control could he want? And you won't find better players than Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland. So there's bound to be a let down (although perhaps The Police is not the best example, as those guys were known to really despise one another; a breakup was inevitable).

Josh-da-man
09-20-16, 08:07 PM
I don't know why artists even "go solo" in the first place. It's not like when they do, they play all the instruments themselves. Instead, they replace their bandmates with (usually) average studio musicians. I guess there's more creative freedom as a solo artist, but take Sting for example. If you look at the songs of The Police, I'd say a good 70-80% say "words and music by Sting". He always did lead vocals. What more control could he want? And you won't find better players than Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland. So there's bound to be a let down (although perhaps The Police is not the best example, as those guys were known to really despise one another; a breakup was inevitable).

I'd wager that going solo is more about money than control.

If you're someone like Sting or Rob Zombie in White Zombie or Courtney Love in Hole or Alice Cooper, when your band hits it big you're going to see youself as the draw and start to wonder why you're splitting the profits among several people when you can just bust up the band, hire salaried musicians to back you up, and continue on doing what you always did and pocket all of the loot.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-20-16, 08:11 PM
I see your other examples, but did Courtney Love ever make anything commercially viable without Hole?

hdnmickey
09-20-16, 08:45 PM
If you can believe what you read, it's usually to have more control or money/band ends disliking each other. To put in very generally: Same style of music tends to be money and/or disliking other band members. Radical change in style often comes from wanting more creative control.

inri222
09-20-16, 08:45 PM
I don't know why artists even "go solo" in the first place.

Ego & greed.

Barth
09-20-16, 09:05 PM
Interesting topic. It made me think of Van Halen and their singers right away.

David Lee Roth who left/got fired from the band depending on who you talk to was kinda successful, Eat em and Smile was pretty great IMO. Then he was pretty much hit or miss after that and now he's back in the band.

Sammy Hagar had a great solo career before joining VH, had a successful run with the band, then was kind of hit or miss as well after leaving/getting fired depending on who you talk to.

Gary Cherone, successful with Extreme before joining VH, was a disaster with the band, left or got fired depending on who you talk to. I feel a lot of deja vu for some reason. :) Went solo for a while and flopped and then rejoined Extreme. Last I know of him. Not sure what he's up to now without searching the net.

So....not really sure where I was going with this, but this thread made me think of the circus that was and is Van Halen.

bd007h
09-20-16, 09:21 PM
Glenn Frey and Don Henley (other than The Boys of Summer)

Hazel Motes
09-21-16, 12:11 AM
Most of The Beatles.

I'd say none of the Beatles were disappointing as solo acts. None of them sustained the level of consistency the Beatles set forth. But John , Paul and George all released albums that were as good as most Beatles records. Ringo didn't really disappoint either, because that implies there were high expectations. Ringo was as good as a Beatle as he was as a solo artist.

All Things Must Pass
Imagine
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Ram
McCartney

all great albums.

Decker
09-21-16, 12:30 AM
I went to a Robert Plant concert at the Las Vegas Hilton Showroom (where, he noted, he and Jimmy Page had once sat right there and watched Elvis perform). It was exceptionally cool seeing such an iconic Titan of Rock perform, up close like that.
I was very amused to note how the folks in the audience would move, like the tide, out to the bars and restrooms when he played his solo stuff and back into the Showroom when he started playing Zepplin again.

rw2516
09-21-16, 06:14 AM
I'd say none of the Beatles were disappointing as solo acts. None of them sustained the level of consistency the Beatles set forth. But John , Paul and George all released albums that were as good as most Beatles records. Ringo didn't really disappoint either, because that implies there were high expectations. Ringo was as good as a Beatle as he was as a solo artist.

All Things Must Pass
Imagine
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Ram
McCartney

all great albums.

A curious thing about the heyday of solo Beatles(1970-76). The first Ringo album, titled Ringo, was the biggest seller of them all at the time.

PerryD
09-21-16, 06:40 AM

I don't think you can place Don Henley in this list, unless disappointing only means less successful than the Eagles. Henley sold over ten million solo records, won a pair of grammys, had many top 40 hits, Building the Perfect Beast and End of the Innocence are still considered to be among the best rock albums

rw2516
09-21-16, 07:00 AM
Other reasons for going solo include: creative control of songs you wrote, band rejecting songs you bring in, and just having a lot of extra songs you wrote that you want to record.

There are several instances of solo and band careers successfully co-existing. Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac, Townsend/The Who, Phil Collins/Genesis.

One interesting one was Rod Stewart and The Faces. You would have a band album and a solo Stewart album. Rod used The Faces on his albums. After Rod hit it big with "Maggie May" they toured as Rod Stewart and The Faces. Rod did not do solo tours, there were only Faces tours with mix of band and solo songs.
Eventually The Faces quit recording, except for an occasional 45, yet the tours were still Faces tours.
Not until Wood joined The Stones did The Faces disband and everyone go their separate ways.

Josh-da-man
09-21-16, 10:32 AM
I see your other examples, but did Courtney Love ever make anything commercially viable without Hole?

Not really. Her expiration date had passed by the mid 90s.

She put out a solo album after Celebrity Skin, and then another Hole album some years later which might as well have been a solo album since it didn't have any previous Hole members on it. (Of course, outside of Eric Erlandson and Love, Hole never had a stable line-up.)

hdnmickey
09-21-16, 11:45 AM
I don't think you can place Don Henley in this list, unless disappointing only means less successful than the Eagles. Henley sold over ten million solo records, won a pair of grammys, had many top 40 hits, Building the Perfect Beast and End of the Innocence are still considered to be among the best rock albums

I'd go as far as those two Henley albums were better than some of the Eagles albums. Unless somebody disliked Henley of course, which many did.

I also think the list of great Beatles solo albums is much longer. Cloud Nine, Flowers in the Dirt, Double Fantasy...

mndtrp
09-21-16, 01:34 PM
I was disappointed in the direction Gwen Stefani went after leaving No Doubt, even though No Doubt was heading somewhat in that direction anyway. Her solo stuff is fine, I'm just not very into it.

Paff
09-22-16, 12:11 AM
I was very amused to note how the folks in the audience would move, like the tide, out to the bars and restrooms when he played his solo stuff and back into the Showroom when he started playing Zepplin again.

Not quite the same thing, but your story reminds me of when I went to see Bow Wow Wow a few years ago at a club. I was enjoying the show (always been a fan), then when they started into "I Want Candy", I suddenly get overrun by a mob of middle-aged women with their cellphones up. Song ends, they go right back to the bar.

I'd go as far as those two Henley albums were better than some of the Eagles albums. Unless somebody disliked Henley of course, which many did.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/344/MI0001344571.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Franchot
09-22-16, 01:33 AM
Terry Hall. The Specials.

Bruce Foxton. (I'd say Paul Weller as well, but some may disagree.) The Jam.

Chris Stamey. The dBs.

Glenn Tilbrook. Squeeze.

Dave Davies. Ray Davies. The Kinks.

GuessWho
09-22-16, 10:27 AM
I don't know why artists even "go solo" in the first place. Sometimes, it's so they can try a different genre than the band is accustomed to (or wouldn't fit the band's "brand")

Current example: Steven Tyler is hyping a country album right now. When he wants to rock, he'll be back in Aerosmith.

Josh-da-man
09-22-16, 11:20 AM
Steven Tyler hasn't "rocked" in over twenty years.

The Infidel
09-22-16, 09:02 PM
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/344/MI0001344571.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
:lol:

Ky-Fi
09-22-16, 09:04 PM
I'd wager that going solo is more about money than control.

And I wouldn't even necessarily condemn someone for that choice, either.

A few years ago, Mike Peters of The Alarm joined Big Country as the singer. They released an album (which was quite good), and toured together.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rl7qZvOnj64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw them at a venue in New Hampshire, and the place was sold out, and they sounded awesome. I think they were doing quite well touring the UK as well. A couple months later, it was announced that Mike Peters was leaving Big Country to focus on his solo career.

The next year, I saw Mike Peters (just him alone on stage) at the same New Hampshire venue, and it was sold out again. So for him, he could either split the check five ways with Big Country, or he could split the same check one way as a solo artist, and get to play exactly the music he wanted. Hey, he's trying to make a living and support a family---I think anyone would have made that choice.

wendersfan
09-23-16, 05:46 AM
I don't know why artists even "go solo" in the first place.You might as well ask why couples ever split up or divorce. Being in a working band with someone is like being in a relationship. You live together, you work together, you're constantly up in each other's grille; it can make enemies of the closest friends.

Cusm
09-23-16, 10:41 AM

Did she ever make anything commercially viable without Kurt writing the album for Hole?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-23-16, 11:20 AM
Did she ever make anything commercially viable without Kurt writing the album for Hole?

Yes, actually. Celebrity Skin was their most commercially successful album, but Billy Corgan wrote a lot of that album.

mcnabb
09-24-16, 05:15 PM

Glenn Frey and Don Henley had so many hits the 80's.

Frey had 'You Belong to the City,'and 'The Heat is On, and 'True Love' just to name a few.

Henley had much more then just 'Boys of Summer.'
-Dirty Laundry
-Down at the Sunset Grille
-All she wants to do is dance
-The End of the Innocence
-Last Worthless Evening
-The Heart of the Matter

The Questyen
09-24-16, 07:35 PM
Yes, actually. Celebrity Skin was their most commercially successful album, but Billy Corgan wrote a lot of that album.

Not really sure why you guys are holding it against her for having help writing an album when 90% of the musicians out there do the same thing. Other then just because you hate Courtney Love.

Cusm
09-25-16, 11:09 AM
Not really sure why you guys are holding it against her for having help writing an album when 90% of the musicians out there do the same thing. Other then just because you hate Courtney Love.

My issue with Live Through This, is that she took the credit (beside giving her guitarist credit) when it's pretty obvious who wrote it.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-07-16, 07:21 PM
I disagree I think Ozzy Osbourne as a solo act was more interesting and exciting than his time with Sabbath though I like both.

Dave Gaham from Depeche Mode.

He is not terrible and I assume he has had some success since he put out maybe 2 albums and another two with Soulsavers but I prefer his work with Depeche Mode.

Barth
10-07-16, 08:49 PM
I disagree I think Ozzy Osbourne as a solo act was more interesting and exciting than his time with Sabbath though I like both.

Agreed. I would say Blizzard, Diary, and Tears are all great. Even Ultimate Sin and No Rest for the Wicked had its moments.

The Infidel
10-07-16, 10:34 PM
Prince. Talentless fucker should have never left Grand Central.

;)

Paff
10-08-16, 02:16 AM
Hey, on sort of the same topic, what are some of the more useless solo acts? As in, there's really no difference between the solo act and the band they broke off from. I was thinking of this when I heard a Mike Ness song, which doesn't sound any different than a typical Social Distortion song. Same with Tom Petty vs Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Many of Petty's biggest songs ("Free Fallin'", "Runnin' Down a Dream") were actually solo projects. But if you go to a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert, you're gonna be pissed if you don't hear those songs.

Adam Ant is another one, although that actually makes a little more sense, as the Ants were changed out several times. It was always just Adam Ant and Marco Pirroni anyway.

rw2516
10-08-16, 07:05 AM
Hey, on sort of the same topic, what are some of the more useless solo acts? As in, there's really no difference between the solo act and the band they broke off from. I was thinking of this when I heard a Mike Ness song, which doesn't sound any different than a typical Social Distortion song. Same with Tom Petty vs Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Many of Petty's biggest songs ("Free Fallin'", "Runnin' Down a Dream") were actually solo projects. But if you go to a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert, you're gonna be pissed if you don't hear those songs.

Adam Ant is another one, although that actually makes a little more sense, as the Ants were changed out several times. It was always just Adam Ant and Marco Pirroni anyway.

There are artists with a signature sound that seems to dominate anything they are involved with.
David Coverdale. Seems to me Whitesnake albums are just Coverdale albums.
Paul Rodgers. Everything he does has his signature sound. Free, Bad Company, Firm, The Law, solo. Like different bands he front are just different back up bands. Even the Queen album he did sounds like a Paul Rodgers solo album with Queen as backup.

mndtrp
10-10-16, 12:24 PM
There's a difference between what Steven Wilson is doing now as opposed to what he was doing with Porcupine Tree, but I can see the same albums coming out of his former group before going solo.

Defiant1
10-10-16, 04:04 PM

To use the two best known examples in modern music, Beyonce and Justin Timberlake, it's all about control, ego, and money. They don't have to give verses to the other members, don't have to split the $$$, and they get to have all the glory. This would particularly apply to Timberlake, who was part of a manufactured boy band with a particularly stifling and limiting contract. At least Beyonce was under her dad's control during the Destiny's Child days, so that would have been easier. But even she eventually dumped him and now it's all her.

B5Erik
10-10-16, 05:25 PM
Peter Cetera - Chicago
Rob Halford - Judas Priest (some of his side projects were 'okay')

Are you kidding?

Dickinson's Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding albums are generally considered to be outstanding.

And Halford's Resurrection and it's follow up were both very good.

Rex Fenestrarum
10-13-16, 03:06 PM
Natalie Merchant. Whether you liked 10,000 Maniacs or not, the band was tight, and most of their albums were very well-produced. And Merchant was a big part of that: on a good day, her lyrics were damn near like poetry. But once she got too big for her britches, Merchant left and released album after album of mopey songs about wars and motherhood. And the Maniacs could never find a singer or songwriter as good as Merchant. It's kind of fitting that after Merchant left, 10KM's only notable hit was a cover of a Roxy Music song.

Hiro11
10-13-16, 03:23 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head though. Killer songs from a long solo career but his albums with the Smiths were better overall.I'm not sure I agree. The Smith's debut is a classic, as is The Queen is Dead. However, both Meat is Murder and Strangeways, Here We Come are spotty. The Smiths did produce lots of great non-album singles which have been collected many, many times in various forms.

You could argue that Morrissey had a similar hit/miss ratio. I'd say Viva Hate and Your Arsenal are as good as the best Smiths albums. I'd say Vauxhall and I is very, very close in quality. Morrissey's early singles as collected in Bona Drag are absolutely excellent and rank with something like Hatful of Hallow from the Smiths. There are many great later singles as well. The rest is spotty, just like The Smiths.

My non-obvious nomination is for James Mercer. I figured he'd be a slam dunk as a solo act. I like some of the stuff he's done after he dismissed the original lineup of The Shins, but it's nowhere near the quality of their first three albums. Broken Bells sounded like a great idea but really wasn't. Port of Morrow is a Shins album in name only and is very overproduced. Even someone as dominant in a band as Mercer was in The Shins might need the band structure to rein in bad impulses.

TheDude
01-14-17, 12:18 AM
I was a big fan of Led Zeppelin back in the '80's (after discovering the band late), but I never liked any of Robert Plant's solo work; he had a lot of radio hits in the late '80's & '90's, but I always felt these songs paled in comparison to Led Zep's work...

Josh-da-man
01-14-17, 09:13 AM
I was a big fan of Led Zeppelin back in the '80's (after discovering the band late), but I never liked any of Robert Plant's solo work; he had a lot of radio hits in the late '80's & '90's, but I always felt these songs paled in comparison to Led Zep's work...

Plant's "Now and Zen" album was pretty good; probably the best post-Zeppelin album of anyone in that band. But I do agree that most of Plant's (and Page's) output after 1980 is really meh.

cdollaz
01-14-17, 09:24 AM
I like the first 3 Plant albums, especially Shaken N Stirred. Those after that have been uneven.

hdnmickey
01-14-17, 10:30 AM
Personally I've loved Plant's solo stuff and would have never included him in this thread. Page is a better fit, but his stuff was all over the map given who he worked with. And Jones just didn't put out much. But that Them Crooked Vultures album was solid.

majorjoe23
01-15-17, 11:00 PM
Billy Corrigan after Smashing Pumpkins, including any time he's used that name after 1998 or so.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0