Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you regret that you made your parents watch when you were a child?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 04:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What movies did you really love as a child and made your parents watch them (possibly more than once) only to realize years later what bad movies they actually were?
Old 09-07-16, 05:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Movies that you regret that you made your parents watch when you were a child?

All the movies I watched interminably I still enjoy to a large extent. The films I watched the most were Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Goonies, and Tron, and of course Star Wars.

Most of those I watched for the first time with my parents and they enjoyed them too. But they would not join me in sessions of watching and re-watching 10+ times.

We didn't get a VCR until I was about eight. So before that it wasn't even an issue.
Old 09-07-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Movies that you regret that you made your parents watch when you were a child?

Psycho 3

It had some nudity
Old 09-07-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

The Survivor. An 80s Apocalyptic turd. Now that I think of it, I think my dad actually rented it.

As far as what the subject says (I was in my young teens though, not a child) Bad Lieutenant. I had already seen it before, but I don't know what I was thinking by making them watch that.
Old 09-07-16, 05:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Mega Force.
Old 09-07-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

My parents rarely took me to movies that they didn't think were "good", and I don't remember making them watch anything at home. A couple Christmases ago, I showed them "Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny", skipping over the whole Thumbelina part. They weren't too happy about that
Old 09-07-16, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

As far as what the subject says (I was in my young teens though, not a child) Bad Lieutenant. I had already seen it before, but I don't know what I was thinking by making them watch that.
Ok my god I could not imagine! It made me squirm watching alone...
Old 09-07-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Spice World. I had a thing for those chicks and made my dad take me to see it on opening weekend. Even as a kid, I thought it was a piece of crap. I can't even enjoy it on a guilty pleasure level... must have been torture for him to sit through.
Old 09-07-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

When I was a kid there was no such thing as "making your parents watch a movie" as home VCRs, much less DVD technology, hadn't been invented at that time. If we saw a movie together it was on a movie-of-the-week type program but my parents rarely watched TV with us kids. When we watched *movies* together it would be those times they would take us to the theater (70 miles away - it was a event) to see something they thought we'd like. Those were usually big budget "family" or "event" type films.
Old 09-07-16, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. None of it. If my parents thought they wouldn't enjoy it.. they wouldn't go. Simple as that. Granted... My parents liked all the movies I liked to see. Particularly my father w/ Mexploitation and action flicks. I had good taste as a kid... and that was mostly cuz my parents didn't tolerate to watch some bullshit just cuz it was kid crap.
Old 09-07-16, 09:32 PM
Banned

Whatever Snake. Didn't you watch Robocop with your cousin when you were 4 or some shit? You were ruined from day one.
Old 09-07-16, 09:57 PM
Banned

3 years old... w/ two cousins, both female.

Thankfully.. my dad thought RoboCop was cool.. and my mom was ok w/ it except for the whole... Murphy getting killed and uh.. the toxic waste moment. She did feel that was a bit too extreme for me as a little kid.
Old 09-07-16, 10:02 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Hmm, I'd have to think about that one, in terms of what I made my parents watch and vice versa.

However, I can tell you this: my dad saw Blazing Saddles in the theater and came home to his parents, going on and on about how much he loved it. So they went. These are old school, conservative salt of the earth farmer people and they went to that movie. Apparently, or so the story goes, theeeeey... were surprised by their son's recommendation.
Old 09-07-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Probably Superman IV
Old 09-07-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spice World. I had a thing for those chicks and made my dad take me to see it on opening weekend. Even as a kid, I thought it was a piece of crap. I can't even enjoy it on a guilty pleasure level... must have been torture for him to sit through.
You made your dad take you to Spice World and he agreed?

As a kid, my dad wouldn't watch cartoons with us, so he wasn't subjected to my watching tapes of GI Joe and Robotech and He man over and over. But when we did watch movies together, it was stuff he liked, like all those classic Bill Murray and Steve Martin comedies and stuff like that. I think my taste was at least influenced by him so we liked the same stuff. We saw some stinkers but I don't think I made him watch any (like Highlander 2).

I pretty much watch everything with my kids, but I try to steer them to stuff that isn't mind numbing to me. Although my little one loves Teletubbies right now, so I can only imagine what's in store for me.

I did recently almost fall asleep in the Angry Birds movie I took my kids to.
Old 09-07-16, 11:02 PM
Banned

Yeah. Fuck that. I'd never take my kid to a piece of shit flick that I won't enjoy. If it looks like I'm not going to have fun ... I'm not going to watch it. Unless they paid for it.. but tough luck. Cuz just like me... "como que pinche allowance? I give you clothes, toys, and food. I make sure you don't die. Time to give back, hijo de puta" Me: "uhm... I'm the hijo... that means you're the pu---" *chancla thrown to the face*
Old 09-08-16, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
You made your dad take you to Spice World and he agreed?
Probably just to shut me up. If it matters, I did spare him the agony of watching Britney Spears trying to act her way through Crossroads.

Besides, he once took our whole family to see Ernest Rides Again. I think we're even.
Old 09-08-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Probably just to shut me up. If it matters, I did spare him the agony of watching Britney Spears trying to act her way through Crossroads.

Besides, he once took our whole family to see Ernest Rides Again. I think we're even.
This is why I watched it on DVD and not in theaters lol. But hey, at least Britney danced in her underwear hahaha
Old 09-08-16, 12:47 AM
Banned

Initials J.B. and a lot of similarities. Possible double account at DVDTalk. Possible Homersexual.
Old 09-08-16, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Initials J.B. and a lot of similarities. Possible double account at DVDTalk. Possible Homersexual.
Old 09-08-16, 02:35 AM

Spoiler:
Old 09-08-16, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

My parents split when I was pretty young. Have no memory of them being married. Alien concept to me. Anyway, I used to call dad all the time, "Hey dad, let's go to the horror show at the drive-in". He was always game.
Looking back, he sat through a lot of bottom of the barrel crap like Bloody Pit of Horror, etc. The one movie that broke the camel's back was Blood Feast. Ever after when I asked him to take me to the drive-in, "One of them isn't Blood Feast is it?"
Gotta love a guy who will sit in a car several hours, watching five Hell's Angels movies back to back for his kid.
Old 09-08-16, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was 16, so not really a child, when I watched Titus with my dad. I felt bad about that mostly because the meat pie sequence almost made him puke.
Old 09-08-16, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I have a hard time using words like "fart" around my parents. I can't imagine having to watch movies with too much of ... anything vulgar ... in them.
Old 09-08-16, 09:17 AM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Hmm, I'd have to think about that one, in terms of what I made my parents watch and vice versa.
Oh, I remembered one.

In fifth grade, the girl I had a crush on was going to see Young Guns II in the theater and so I really wanted to go. My mom tried to tell me no, it's not a kids' movie. I said no, it's a comedy. She said fine, she'll take me, and we'll see if it's a "comedy" or not. So we went, I sat a few rows up from her, so independent. I got so embarrassed. Yeah, it's got funny moments, but they're mostly dark humor, plus there is tons of violence and even a little nudity. After the movie she asked me if it was a comedy, I said sort of. She asked me if it was a kids' movie, I said no. She asked if I was going to talk to this girl about the movie, I said yes. She said okay, this was important to me and it's fine, she let the inappropriateness of the movie drop. When I saw the girl at school I asked her about the movie and she said she didn't see it - her parents said it wasn't a kids' movie. Nice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.