Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Criterion) 50% off at B&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 10:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Criterion) 50% off at B&N

Title says it all. For some reason, B&N is offering this pre-order at half price. I tried searching other Criterion titles without success.

I would post a direct link but forum rules don't allow that. (Gotta have 30 posts or more...?)
Old 09-01-16, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Criterion) 50% off at B&N

Call it November in September...for this one title :-)
Old 09-01-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...=0715515186612

While you ponder the Criterion pre-order, you can read about Arrow Video's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls Blu-ray released in the UK. It is locked to Region B but offers what will likely be a different set of special features. Its A/V quality is fantastic.

http://doblu.com/2016/02/10/beyond-t...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-02-16, 06:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The UK Arrow looks to be the better release with much higher bit rate and some nice bonus features...EXCEPT the Criterion gets the Incredibly Strange Film Show retro on Meyer and THAT is truly something to be excited about! --Peter
Old 09-02-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
The UK Arrow looks to be the better release with much higher bit rate and some nice bonus features...EXCEPT the Criterion gets the Incredibly Strange Film Show retro on Meyer and THAT is truly something to be excited about! --Peter
Any review on that yet? I love Russ Meyer and I have the limited Arrow release that included The Seven Minutes but I don't know if it would be worth double-buying for just the one retrospective.
Old 09-02-16, 04:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The Incredibly Strange Film Film was produced in the UK during the late '80s/early '90s and is arguably the greatest overview of cult cinema ever produced. Most shows were half-hour deals focusing in one director...but Meyer apparently rated a full 45-minutes. The show features interviews with the directors and many of the stars or crew members with great clips across their entire career. The Sam Raimi episode even had clips from his high school shorts and "Within the Woods" (only time I'm aware that footage has been made available legitimately. The show is a lot of fun - very high re-watchable quotient. --Peter
Old 09-02-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
The Incredibly Strange Film Film was produced in the UK during the late '80s/early '90s and is arguably the greatest overview of cult cinema ever produced. Most shows were half-hour deals focusing in one director...but Meyer apparently rated a full 45-minutes. The show features interviews with the directors and many of the stars or crew members with great clips across their entire career. The Sam Raimi episode even had clips from his high school shorts and "Within the Woods" (only time I'm aware that footage has been made available legitimately. The show is a lot of fun - very high re-watchable quotient. --Peter
I forget which US cable channel used to run "Film Show" but I really loved that show and wish it were available somewhere.
Old 09-02-16, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..it ran on the discovery channel..i remember seeing all the episodes in the early nineties..