Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Masterminds (2016, d: Hess, s: Wiig, McKinnon, Sudeikis, Galifianakis, Wilson)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-26-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Saw the trailer for this the other night on TV, figured I'd make a thread. From Jared Hess, director of Napoleon Dynamite, and is based on a true story. This was originally supposed to be released in the Summer of 2015, but thanks to Relativity being run by fucking morons, is now being dumped into the September 30th, 2016 slot by Universal.

Synopsis: A night guard at an armored car company in the Southern U.S. organizes one of the biggest bank heists in American history.

Stars: Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Jason Sudeikis, Owen Wilson, Zach Galifianakis, Leslie Jones, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, Ken Marino, and Jon Daly

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lFQP73G5yRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer is from over a year ago, looks like something i'd watch as a rental.

Last edited by dex14; 09-26-16 at 07:11 AM. Reason: updated trailer
Old 08-26-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: Masterminds (2016, d: Hess, s: Wiig, McKinnon, Sudeikis, Galifianakis, Wilson)

It's got 1/2 of the 2016 Ghostbusters. It should be well received by the Internet.

The trailer reminds me of that Ruthless People remake starring Jennifer Aniston from a couple years ago - decent cast but the movie will fail to catch on with audiences. I'll give it a rental though.
Old 08-27-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Masterminds (2016, d: Hess, s: Wiig, McKinnon, Sudeikis, Galifianakis, Wilson)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The trailer reminds me of that Ruthless People remake starring Jennifer Aniston from a couple years ago - decent cast but the movie will fail to catch on with audiences. I'll give it a rental though.
Life of Crime wasn't a remake, it was an adaptation of a 1978 Elmore Leonard book called "The Switch," of which "Rum Punch" (adapted into Jackie Brown) was a sequel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Crime_(film)
Old 08-27-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It's got 1/2 of the 2016 Ghostbusters. It should be well received by the Internet.
Actually, it has 3 of the 4 (Kristen, Kate, Leslie) so it that makes it worse.

The thing that'll keep me away is Galifianakis. Not a fan.