Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The joys of rewatching great tv?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 08:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
The joys of rewatching great tv?

Or at least great in your opinion. Do you guys get enjoyment out of going back to the tv shows you love and rewatching in any medium?

I'll tell you I've become quite nostalgic lately and have been watching shows that I used to love with joyful glee.

I've been recording old Silver Spoons, Family Ties, Beverly Hills, 90210. Popped on West Wing from Vudu. Have the bluray for season 1 of Pushing Daisies set to go for next week and can't wait.

Looking forward to getting back into Lost at some point and Breaking Bad.

I mean I like my new shows that currently air, but the binging and going back to these gems really is nice.

Anyone else feel same and what are your shows in the hopper?
Old 08-19-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: The joys of rewatching great tv?

I'm amazed that after nearly thirty years, I can still watch those twelve Fawlty Towers episodes and they still feel fresh and make me laugh.
Old 08-20-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That's basically what I do during the summer months. This summer we tackled:

Smallville: S1-S5
Scrubs: S1

Watched a handful of Friday Night Lights: S1 episodes. I also started Cheers: S2 the other night and watched a few. I've been wanting to pop in Human Target and Sports Night before the Fall season starts as well.

All that is on top of Friends which I watch damn near nightly during the work week.

So, absolutely. I get just as much enjoyment out of revisiting shows as I do new shows.
Old 08-20-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Over in DVD Talk, there's a TV Challenge in January, so I participate so I can watch lots of old shows, some of which I haven't seen in over five decades. Revisiting things I watched as a child can be quite rewarding or, as I've also done, watching for the first time shows that were on when I was a child that I'd never seen before. Discovering the original "Dragnet" was a big deal for me. Re-watching "Perry Mason" for the first time in over 50 years was quite a revelation. I understood why I was able to watch it with interest as a child, despite subject matter that often went over my head. Plus, I've been watching a lot of old western TV shows that I used to see as a child because they're now running on Encore Western in an afternoon time slot: Maverick, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Laramie, Cheyenne, Wanted Dead or Alive, Death Valley Days, etc. These shows all hold up well. Great acting, writing and directing. The only one that bores me is Wagon Train, which is just way too talky and focused on Drama rather than action.

On the other hand, I started re-watching episodes of the original Star Trek in anticipation of the 50th anniversary coming in a few weeks and after 12 episodes I stopped. They were just too tiresome. It's series from the 1950s and early 60s that hold up the best for me these days.
Old 08-20-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I am in the middle of Season 1 of Babylon 5. With only a couple exceptions, the episodes are better than I remembered (I skipped most of this season last time around). And Seasons 2-4 are phenomenal.
Old 08-20-16, 01:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I would imagine most people in a DVD forum are into re-watching things.

I've met a lot of people that never re-watch anything. They can say they love a certain director or series, or call a film their all-time favorite, yet they will never watch it a second time. I'm confused and possibly jealous of these people.
Old 08-20-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've met a lot of people that never re-watch anything. They can say they love a certain director or series, or call a film their all-time favorite, yet they will never watch it a second time. I'm confused and possibly jealous of these people.
I'm not jealous, I pity those people. My dad dated one when I was a kid. She couldn't understand why we went to see Star Wars so many times. She had the attitude that "once you find out what happens, why would you want to see it again?"

Anyway, for my summer re-watching, I've been heavily hitting the Hill Street Blues and Cheers reruns on H&I and Hallmark Channel respectively. It's amusing that there's censoring of language going on. Yes, even on Cheers.
Old 08-20-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I've had a lot of fun this year seeing Tonight Show re-runs with Johnny Carson from past decades.

The only shows I've heavily re-watched are Buffy, Angel and The X-Files. I love Lost but the ending has soured me on watching it over again. Maybe down the road.
Old 08-20-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Recently: Crusade. (A short lived Babylon 5 spinoff).

Though for me, it is an exercise in figuring out an "optimal" viewing order of the episodes with the least continuity problems and decent pacing. IIRC, the original episodes (and dvd order) were aired out of sequence in their original first-run back in 1999, along with a lot of network interference during production (ie. abruptly changed uniforms, etc ...).
Old 08-20-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nearly always during the summer. This year has been mostly West Wing and Buffy.
Old 08-20-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I get a great deal of joy from re-watching things, whether it's TV or films. Some of that is attributed to things I loved when I was a kid, and now am introducing to my own children. And I've got a ton of stuff that I would love to expose them to when they're a bit older.
Old 08-21-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Once I watch a series from beginning to end, I rarely go back and watch it again. It's an awful lot of time to invest, as opposed to a couple of hours to rewatch a movie. Once my children get old enough, I'll see if they are interested in some of the tv shows I enjoyed and own.
Old 08-21-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

I very rarely rewatch stuff unless it's like top-tier of my favorite shows and even then almost never. There are too many shows I'm interested in that I haven't seen to spend tons of time rewatching stuff I have. I also don't get nostalgic so I don't rewatch stuff for any other reason then me wanting to watch a great show.
Old 08-21-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowadays is really hard to re-watch TV because of all the options. You have network tv shows, premium cable shows (HBO, Showtime, etc.), regular cable shows (USA, FX, etc.), streaming tv shows (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). Summer is when you usually catch up.

Still, we watched Lost this summer vacation with our 10 year olds daughter. I was kind of tired by the end.
Old 08-21-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The last full season of TV that I re-watched was 24's 8th season prior to the Live Another Day season airing 2 years ago.

Other than that, it's simply too difficult to re-visit classic TV, especially 1 hour shows. With new content airing year round, I'm playing catch up more than having any down time to watch say an old episode of Family Ties or Air Wolf.
Old 08-21-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Star Trek: TNG and DS9 (especially DS9) were my two top shows as an impressionable teenager. Rewatching random episodes on Netflix is a treat. I remember all the major plot points and dialogue, but it's just very comforting. There's a nostalgia factor to seeing a show that aired 20 or so years ago and still seeing it hold up. TNG in HD is also a hoot. Sad that DS9 will never get that treatment.
Old 08-21-16, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

When I was rehabilitating from a broken ankle I watched every episode of ER.
Old 08-21-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I've been rewatching House and Boston Legal, there's comforting familiarity in rewatching the shows.
Old 08-21-16, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
When I was rehabilitating from a broken ankle I watched every episode of ER.
On what? Is this free streaming anywhere?
Old 08-21-16, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
there's comforting familiarity in rewatching the shows.
Yes.
Old 08-21-16, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
On what? Is this free streaming anywhere?
My friend is a big fan and she bought them all on iTunes (in HD no less).

Last edited by Eric F; 08-21-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I re-watch shows all the time. If I buy a series on DVD or blu then I'm certainly going to watch it on a regular basis. I just finished re-watching the entire Trek franchise for the 50th anniversary and started SG-1 last night. X-Files and West Wing will be on tap next year. It's a simple matter of picking shows that age well.
Old 08-22-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Been rewatching The X-Files. In the middle of season four. I have not seen the show since original network airings. Except for a few standouts I've completely forgotten the standalone ones, yet seem to remember almost everything about the mythology ones.
Old 08-22-16, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Plus, I've been watching a lot of old western TV shows that I used to see as a child because they're now running on Encore Western in an afternoon time slot: Maverick, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Laramie, Cheyenne, Wanted Dead or Alive, Death Valley Days, etc. These shows all hold up well. Great acting, writing and directing.
I think of these, the one that's great (except for season 5), is Have Gun, Will Travel. It transcends the typical western TV show.
Old 08-22-16, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I'm not jealous, I pity those people. My dad dated one when I was a kid. She couldn't understand why we went to see Star Wars so many times. She had the attitude that "once you find out what happens, why would you want to see it again?"
Saw the first one when it opened, once was too much for me. (Sorry for the thread crap.)

Last edited by Astrofan; 08-22-16 at 09:25 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.