Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Witness for the Prosecution -- remake (D: Ben Affleck) S: Ben Affleck

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-19-16, 01:14 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Ben Affleck is in talks with Fox to direct and star in a remake of “Witness for the Prosecution.”

The 1957 adaptation of the Agatha Christie short story, directed by Billy Wilder, starred Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, and Charles Laughton, and was nominated for six Academy Awards.

Christopher Keyser will write the script, and Affleck will produce with Matt Damon, Jennifer Todd, and the Agatha Christie estate.

Laughton plays a lawyer who represents a man (Power) accused of murdering a rich widow who had become enamored with him and made him the main beneficiary of her will.

Affleck directed Oscar best picture winner “Argo” and is in post-production on “Live by Night” for Warner Bros. He’s also directing the standalone Batman movie for Warner Bros.

Affleck is an executive producer on “Justice League” for Warner Bros. and stars in Gavin O’Connor’s “The Accountant,” which Warner Bros. opens on Oct. 14.

Keyser is the executive producer of the FX series “Tyrant.” He served two terms as president of the Writers Guild of America West.

Affleck is represented by WME, while Keyser is repped by CAA. The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/be...on-1201841040/
Old 08-19-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts
Re: Witness for the Prosecution -- remake (D: Ben Affleck) S: Ben Affleck

Well, before people start bitching about Affleck starring in the movie, he would play the Tyrone Power role which was top-billed in 1957. Charles Laughton was the lead in the film.

Not sure why anyone would want to remake this. I've seen the 1957 version on TCM several times. It is good old-fashioned entertainment, but it is corny as hell. The legal drama with the twist ending might have been suspenseful and shocking to audiences 60 years ago, but 2016 viewers raised on TV courtroom dramas will not be impressed by this story.
Old 08-19-16, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm always down for more Director Affleck.

Break it down for me, Papi. What was the twist at the end of the original?
Old 08-19-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

He could be doing something else instead of this, kind of like when Fincher did TGWTDT. Why? Give me something original.

Last edited by inri222; 08-19-16 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I still have not seen Witness for the Prosecution.
But I also want to see more movies from director Affleck.
Old 08-21-16, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm always down for more Director Affleck.

Break it down for me, Papi. What was the twist at the end of the original?
Oldboy, is that you?

In all seriousness though, this could be interesting just to see if and how they re-write the story/twist, but half the fun of the original is Laughton's performance. Those are some mighty big shoes to fill.
Old 08-21-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Here's the twist:

Spoiler:
The Tyrone Power character is found not guilty of murder, but he really is guilty. He conspired with the Marlene Dietrich character in a very elaborate scheme to create an alternative theory of the murder that Laughton would 100% believe and then present to the court.

Spoiler:
Then there's another twist after that

Spoiler:
Power has been deceiving Dietrich all along. He is already married and just used MD. Now he is a free man, and she is on the hook for the crimes she committed to help him.
Old 08-22-16, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a TVM remake in 1982; it's been years since I've seen it, but Wikipedia says it's more faithful to the Agatha Christie play (which I've never seen/read). Ralph Richardson, Beau Bridges and Diana Rigg, play the Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich roles, respectively.