Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Jesus Rolls (2020, D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tautou

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Jesus Rolls (2020, D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tautou

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 12:28 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sources close to John Turturro’s Going Places have confirmed some weird and exciting news for us: the film, a remake of a French sex farce, is actually a Big Lebowski spin-off centered around Turturro's Jesus Quintana character.

Not only that, but the project has already begun filming with a script by Turturro and a cast that includes Bobby Cannavale, Audrey Tautou and Susan Sarandon.

The film, which currently has no distributor (thus making it an indie in the realest sense), takes its plot from the 1974 comedy Les Valseuses: two petty thieves, Turturro’s Jesus and Cannavale’s Petey, compete to give a woman (Tautou) her first orgasm after she’s roped into their hijinks. Sarandon also ends up in their company, playing a criminal who just got out after a long stint in prison.

I’m told Going Places is a week or two into production out in New York State. What brought The Jesus out east, I wonder? Does he still bowl? What has he been up to since 1998? Your guess is as good as mine, but here's what I know for sure: his off-beat hair choices and proclivity for purple both remain firmly intact. That’s really all that matters here.

Joel & Ethan Coen aren’t creatively involved, apparently, and while one might not expect them to sign off on a sequel, keep in mind that Turturro's work with them dates all the way back to Miller’s Crossing in 1990. They even poured money into Romance & Cigarettes, Turturro’s 2005 musical featuring Cannavale and Sarandon, so it’s not hard to believe they’d give him their blessings. Turturro has been talking about reprising the role for quite some time, and a French sex comedy re-structured around Quintana is one hell of an angle. The original was, as I understand it, incredibly sexist even for 1974 (Roger Ebert called it “the most misogynistic movie [he could] remember”), so I’m curious to see how they combine that with The Jesus’ absurd brand of machismo.

Nostalgia is the new Hollywood A-lister, isn't it? It seems like the only sure thing in a sea of new media, and it’s led to the mining of every beloved property by a handful of studios. Second only is the trend of foreign film adaptations, churned out with no care for context. A combination of the two might seem like nightmare fuel to any self-professed cinephile, but it's a horse of a different colour when you're talking about a non-studio passion project. Case in point: Coen darling Turturro using this remake as a comeback tour for The Jesus.

Anyway, we’ll keep you updated as we learn more.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/...e-big-lebowski

Last edited by dex14; 08-17-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: The Jesus Rolls (2020, D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tautou

It's funny seeing all these follow ups so far out, he was what 42 when Lebowski came out and will be 60 when this does?
Old 08-17-16, 12:47 PM

re: The Jesus Rolls (2020, D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tautou

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's funny seeing all these follow ups so far out, he was what 42 when Lebowski came out and will be 60 when this does?
Old 08-17-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

On the one hand I love The Big Lebowski but Jesus is by far the least interesting character in the film in my opinion. Still though I'll probably see it.
Old 08-17-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to see the husband of a local food co-op member going places.
Old 08-17-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Hide your eight year olds.
Old 08-17-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

I would have fucked Amélie in the ass Saturday. I fuck her in the ass next Wednesday instead. Woo! You got a date Wednesday, baby!
Old 08-17-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

"What has he been up to since 1998?"

1991, Dude.
Old 08-17-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the Jesus has clean feet
Spoiler:
an in joke for those that have been watching The Night Of
Old 08-17-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Hopefully the Jesus has clean feet
Spoiler:
an in joke for those that have been watching The Night Of
That's not how you should use a spoiler tag, although I feel (without seeing it yet) that it more than likely has little relevance in ruining anyone's experience in watching the completely different show you are referring to than what this thread is about.
Old 08-19-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^The reference to clean feet has nothing to do with The Night of. Not even close.
Old 08-19-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
"What has he been up to since 1998?"

1991, Dude.
Aren't we all assuming he's been in jail?
Old 08-19-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
^^^The reference to clean feet has nothing to do with The Night of. Not even close.
Nice
Old 10-28-16, 11:01 AM

The official synopsis reads: “John Turturro plays Jesus Quintana in ‘Going Places,’ a film about a trio of misfits whose irreverent, sexually charged dynamic evolves into a surprising love story as their spontaneous and flippant attitude towards the past or future backfires time and again, even as they inadvertently perform good deeds. When they make enemies with a gun-toting hairdresser, their journey becomes one of constant escape from the law, from society and from the hairdresser, all while the bonds of their outsider family strengthen.”
Old 10-28-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

So are the other two misfits Patrick Dewaere's corpse & Gerard Depardieu?
Old 10-28-16, 11:32 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the trio of misfits is just Gerard Depardieu.
Old 09-24-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Whatever happened to this?? IMDB lists it as completed but no release date
Old 09-24-18, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Whatever happened to this?? IMDB lists it as completed but no release date
Doesn’t seem to have a distributor.

I don’t know how much of the “eight year olds, Dude” Jesus is in the it, but I imagine if it does, a movie with a character who is a pedophile isn’t something a lot of people want to touch right now. No pun intended.

Last edited by dex14; 09-24-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's probably awful. If it was any good someone would've snapped it up by now.
Old 06-11-19, 07:06 AM

One of the big questions on the minds of Coen brothers fans is when John Turturro’s “Going Places” will be released in theaters. The film is a sequel to the brothers’ 1998 classic “The Big Lebowski” that focuses on Turturro’s breakout character, Jesus Quintana. “Going Places” was filmed back in 2016 but has yet to make its debut. Turturro recently teased to The Independent that editing the film took longer than expected but he’s now happy with a cut of the movie after making some tweaks.

“It’s a bit of a racy movie,” Turturro teased about “Going Places.” “It shows how stupid men are. That’s what the movie is kinda about – the women are the stronger, more together characters. I had to tweak it a little bit but now I feel really good about it. It’s basically an exploration of Jesus getting out of jail. It’s a comedy but a very human comedy.”

Turturro revealed in summer 2017 that “Going Places” kicked off with Jesus getting out of jail after being framed as a pedophile. Turturro wrote the film as a riff on Bertrand Blier’s sexually-charged 1974 French movie of the same name. New characters are played by Audrey Tautou and Bobby Cannavale.

An official synopsis for “Going Places” released in October 2016 said the film is about “a trio of misfits whose irreverent, sexually charged dynamic evolves into a surprising love story as their spontaneous and flippant attitude towards the past or future backfires time and again, even as they inadvertently perform good deeds.

Turturro told The Independent he made the sequel with the full support of Joel and Ethan Coen. “They’re my friends, close friends, and were supportive when I said I wanna explore this character more,” he said. “They said, you gotta do it cause we’re not doing it! If I have something to show, I show it to them if they’re around.”

The writer-director-actor said “Going Places” will be “much more sexual” than “The Big Lebowski,” which is one reason Turturro might’ve taken so long to finish it since the subject matter appears a bit more controversial. The film skipped out on Sundance earlier this year despite buzz it might debut in Park City. No release plans for “Going Places” have been announced, but at this point a fall film festival debut seems likely.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/jo...rs-1202148638/
Old 06-11-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Going Places (D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff with Jesus -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tau

Although it doesn't sound like it has much to do with the BL, I'm still looking forward to this.
Old 06-11-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Going Places (D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff with Jesus -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tau

This feels weird to say on multiple levels, but I'm disappointed that Jesus isn't an actual pedophile.
Old 06-12-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This feels weird to say on multiple levels, but I'm disappointed that Jesus isn't an actual pedophile.
Somehow, I agree.
Old 07-08-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/b...NrDjxiEybBknaY

John Turturro’s “Big Lebowski” spinoff, The Jesus Rolls,” which follows his “Lebowski” character Jesus Quintana, is scheduled to hit theaters in early 2020.

Screen Media purchased the rights to the film, which Turturro directed from his own script. “Jesus Rolls” also stars Bobby Cannavale and Audrey Tautou and features Jon Hamm, Susan Sarandon and Pete Davidson.
Old 07-08-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: The Jesus Roles (2020, D: John Turturro) -- The Big Lebowski spinoff -- S: Turturro, Cannavale, Tauto

I’d rather get a real Lebowski sequel than this but I’ll probably still see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.