John McLaughlin, The McLaughlin Group RIP

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
John McLaughlin, The McLaughlin Group RIP

John McLaughlin, The McLaughlin Group Host Since 1982, Dead at 89

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/john-mclaug...201434171.html

John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89.

The political commentator’s passing comes just days after he missed his first hosting of his eponymous syndicated public affairs program in more than 34 years. Longtime panelist Pat Buchanan stepped in as host for that episode.

“I am under the weather,” McLaughlin explained in a note that prefaced this past weekend’s telecast. His distinct, once-bellowing voice, heard in pre-taped intros, was “weaker than usual,” McLaughlin acknowledged. “Yet my spirit is strong and my dedication to the show remains absolute!”

An ordained priest and holder of a PhD (in philosophy), McLaughlin taught high school at a Jesuit prep school before becoming a writer for a Jesuit current affairs publication. Some time after that, the Vietnam War opponent sought (but lost out on) a seat in the United States Senate. In 1974, he served as a speechwriter for President Richard Nixon, and in the 1980s wrote for National Review.

McLaughlin had moderated The McLaughlin Group, weekly round-table discussion of political issues, since Day 1, but had actively participated in the conversation less frequently in recent months, sometimes merely introducing the next issue.
Wonder if he held the record for the oldest host of a TV show that was still in production. Too bad he won't be around to see the outcome of one of the most bizarre elections in America.
Old 08-16-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: John McLaughlin, The McLaughlin Group RIP

I never knew who he was until SNL did those classic sketches based on his show.

Old 08-16-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts

My late cousin Tony Blankley was a panelist for many years. I was always a fan of the show and John's comical bluster. He did a nice tribute when Tony passed away way too young.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bk6aWL8xn38?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plus, hey how many actual political shows get featured in a superhero movie?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ozS6MQbdRvk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I first heard of him when he hosted the 200th anniversary special of Cheers.

Old 08-16-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

He seemed to me like such a straight arrow, but it sounds like he was actually a play-ah.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...nap-story.html

McLaughlin could be a hard boss to work for. A 1990 article in The Washington Post Magazine by Alterman quoted former McLaughlin staffers Anne Rumsey, Kara Swisher and Tom Miller recalling instances of petty tyranny and McLaughlin leering at female employees.

His former office manager, Linda Dean, filed a $4 million lawsuit against McLaughlin in 1988, claiming she was fired after protesting his unwanted sexual advances. McLaughlin denied the allegations; the suit was settled out of court in December 1989.

McLaughlin and his wife of 16 years, former Secretary of Labor Ann Dore McLaughlin, divorced three years later.

In 1997, McLaughlin, then 70, married 36-year-old Cristina Vidal, the vice president of his production company. They divorced in 2010.
Old 08-16-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I just remember Dana Carvey yelling, "Wrong! Pat Buchanan."

I saw the McLaughlin Group several weeks ago and McLaughlin was listless, like he was propped up in his chair. I didn't realize he was that old.
Originally Posted by Decker
My late cousin Tony Blankley was a panelist for many years.
Cool, I didn't know that.
Old 08-16-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Elanor "gee I think you're swell"-anore!!!

Also my introduction to the show.
Old 08-16-16, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Began watching his show around when it started. So much better than the crap on CNN, Fox, etc.
Old 08-16-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I use to watch this every night during my senior year of high school. Why would I do that, you ask? Because my history teacher offered 15 points of extra credit for writing a page (front/back) of notes for each episode.

Easy extra credit. That shit added up quickly.

Thanks McLaughlin for helping me pass AP History!
Old 08-16-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Too bad. He definitely looked like he was rapidly fading in recent months, and when I saw this past weekend's episode, with his barely-intelligible narration of the last segment, I figured the end was nigh.
Sure, he was conservative, but he had a wry, deadpan sense of humour, which was evident in his self-effacingly over-serious mien, "forced predictions", "on a scale from metaphysical certitude to no chance at all" predictions, and gruff end-of-episode "Gooodbye". Gobble, gobble, you old curmudgeon.
Old 08-16-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I really enjoyed his show back in the 90's with Pat, Mort, Eleanor, and Jack as the regulars, and Fred as a regular/frequent fill in. That was good TV. The Democrats and Republicans would vehemently disagree, but they did so respectfully and with good humor. It's a shame that isn't the norm.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-16-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my favorite SNL sketches of all time is actually a send up of this show, but not the Dana Carvey ones. They did another one with Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra leading The Sinatra Group.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...a-group/n10008

Also, McLaughlin actually did show up on SNL, which is now a little eerie to watch:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...d-open/2869203

Last edited by TheKing; 08-17-16 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
One of my favorite SNL sketches of all time is actually a send up of this show, but not the Dana Carvey ones. They did another one with Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra leading The Sinatra Group.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...a-group/n10008

Also, McLaughlin actually did show up on SNL, which is now a little eerie to watch:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...d-open/2869203
The Sinatra Group is a damn classic! I don't remember the Halloween clip, thanks for linking that!
Old 08-17-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The original McLaughlin Group became the blueprint for political shows in the 80s and 90s with its Right and Left mix. That was practically revolutionary when it first started. The broadcast networks had usually only offered one perspective on issues, almost always from the Left.

Tony Blankley was a fine contributor to the show as a guest, I remember him well.

It's somewhat sad that more people probably remember Dana Carvey's SNL skit than the actual show, which is probably the most influential political program of all time.
Old 08-17-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

The George Will Sports Machine was pretty good too

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=kubtz6dynrqk4h_acsicbw" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-17-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

McLaughlin reportedly died of prostate cancer. No offence, Decker, but I couldn't stand Blankley. He came across as supercilious on the show, which he may not have been in real life.