Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fawlty Towers AIV and DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fawlty Towers AIV and DVD

I have the 2001 DVD edition of Fawlty Towers - would the remastered set be a significant upgrade?

Does anyone know if the Amazon Instant Video version came from the 2001 set or the remastered set?

Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 08-11-16, 06:47 PM

Re: Fawlty Towers AIV and DVD

Yes, the new version should be a significant upgrade. It was remastered from the original tapes (which were also, I think, run through the PAL transform decoder to maximise picture quality) and in cases where the location film still existed (the scene of Basil beating is car with a tree limb, for instance), the film was cleaned up and dropped back in.

The 2001 edition was a rush job for the US market, just taken straight off the shelf and put on disc. I think it also has a slight edit, where the Remastered one is totally uncut and includes significant extras.
Old 08-18-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Yes, the new version should be a significant upgrade. It was remastered from the original tapes (which were also, I think, run through the PAL transform decoder to maximise picture quality) and in cases where the location film still existed (the scene of Basil beating is car with a tree limb, for instance), the film was cleaned up and dropped back in.

The 2001 edition was a rush job for the US market, just taken straight off the shelf and put on disc. I think it also has a slight edit, where the Remastered one is totally uncut and includes significant extras.
Thanks so much for the information. Looks like I'll be getting the remastered set now.
Old 08-23-16, 10:12 PM

In addition to the picture cleanup, there are significant bonus features, including a documentary containing present-day interviews with all the main cast (and several of the guests), new commentaries with Cleese (in addition to the earlier, very dry ones with Bob Spiers, I believe).