Reload this Page >

The Impossible Collection

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-09-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never heard of this until now. I guess this guy owns 1,000 mint copies of golden age DC comics and put it on exhibition back in March. I can't think of anyone else who's collection comes close. I'm sure there are others with more books but do they have the right 1,000 books? He says he has more than a thousand but this is just his DC collection. Quality over quantity I always say....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/impossibl...22.html?ref=gs

Last edited by mrhan; 08-09-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: The Impossible Collection

I saw an article on this guy back around the time of the exhibition. It's an impressive collection, but if I had that kind of money to spend on this stuff, I would focus on original art rather than high grade books. Owning the original cover art or quality splash page to a key book is way more impressive to me than owning a 9.5 copy of the same book.
Old 08-09-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember back in the 80's you could get original art for cheap. Who thought they would be considered art pieces today.
Old 08-09-16, 12:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Yeah, grade isn't important to me at all. I actually prefer lower grades, as that way I don't worry as much about potential value when I read them. Not sure what I'd do (in the hobby) if money was no object. Definitely no high grade books, and little if any original art, I'd probably spend the money on going to cons and other opportunities to meet the creators. Definitely more bulk, and the space and displays to store them.
Old 08-09-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I remember back in the 80's you could get original art for cheap. Who thought they would be considered art pieces today.
It's funny, even though I now consider collecting original art to be the natural extension and pinnacle of comic collecting, I had never even really considered its existence until relatively recently. I can't imagine I'm an exception, which would help explain why it took the art so long to escalate in value (relative to comics).
Old 08-09-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, grade isn't important to me at all. I actually prefer lower grades, as that way I don't worry as much about potential value when I read them.
That's why I have 2 or 3 copies. I also like looking at the old toy ads which most reprints don't have. I try to get digital copies of the books so eventually I won't have to pull them out anymore.
Old 08-10-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golden Age DC? Not really my thing at all. I'd sell them all and use the money to pay for all my Image comics for the next decade.
Old 08-10-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sven
Golden Age DC? Not really my thing at all. I'd sell them all and use the money to pay for all my Image comics for the next decade.
A decade? One copy of Action #1 (never mind the hundreds of other books) would pay for a copy of every Image book released for the rest of your life. Heck, you could probably buy copies for all your relatives and still have money left over.
Old 08-14-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

If I had a billion to throw around, I'd likely do the same thing. Mint condition copies of every single DC Comic ever published.

The owner also paid millions for a small role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice by a charity auction.
Old 08-14-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If I had a billion to throw around, I'd likely do the same thing. Mint condition copies of every single DC Comic ever published.

The owner also paid millions for a small role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice by a charity auction.
Damn, then how much did Eisenberg wind up paying to play Lex Luthor?
Old 08-14-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
Damn, then how much did Eisenberg wind up paying to play Lex Luthor?