Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
4.00%
28.00%
24.00%
24.00%
12.00%
4.00%
0%
0%
0%
4.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-16, 12:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Jason Bourne" (Starring: Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, Tommy Lee Jones, Alicia Vikander, Vincent Cassel)

Release Date:
7/29/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, and brief strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
123m. (2h. 03m.)

Budget:
$120 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Jason Bourne, now remembering who he truly is, tries to uncover hidden truths about his past.

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.3 (1,334 votes as of 7/25/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:00 Rotten:00 (00% as of 7/25/16)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/25/16)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 07-25-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

We don't go to the theaters much anymore, but there is no way in hell I'm missing this one. Probably won't make it this weekend, but I'll see it soon enough.
Old 07-26-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler-filled Reviews Thread

IMDB | Metacritic

<hr>

Early reviews have it at a Metacritic average of 63 (higher than Legacy, lower than the others), but IMDB has it at 9+.
Old 07-26-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler-filled Reviews Thread

67% / 6.3 out of 10 average on Rottentomatoes as well, but only 9 reviews so far. The number of imdb votes is impressively high for a movie that hasn't actually opened.

Edit: Up to 22 reviews, 6.1 average score with 73% recommendations.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-26-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) — The Spoiler-filled Reviews Thread

Jason Bourne was my most anticipated film of 2016, so my expectations were pretty high, even after the somewhat-unrelated disappointments of Green Zone and Bourne Legacy.

Greengrass returns in top form, as does Damon, but they're being given very little to work with, script-wise. This is supposed to be the thinking person's action film and aside from a few superficial accoutrements (unrest in Greece, monitoring of social media), there isn't much going on in the way of intrigue. Nor is Damon really given anything new to do aside from script elements recycled from previous films: the death of a confidante, a few car chases while he's being hunted by an asset, some added piece of information about his past.

What's thrilling is how much life Greengrass and Damon can inject into something so formulaic: the first and last sequences of the film rival the best of the series. The action choreography is tight and focused (even if the camera itself is not) and the risks are palpable. But for the first time, this is Bourne not as himself but as Bourne the Franchise, and the risk is that we may never go back to the magic of the second and third films.

If the above sounds negative, it is, but keep in mind I arrived with the highest possible expectations. I wanted something that would stand with the best action of this decade. Individual sequences (especially the opening) fit that, but the remainder just ends up being a very good action film. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Recommended.
Old 07-27-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Did Tony Gilroy not write this one? I don't see him credited on IMDB. That may be the problem.
Old 07-28-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

58% now.

Definitely still going to see it, but may push it back to next weekend and do a doubleheader with Suicide Squad.
Old 07-28-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Not doing too well with the reviews. Seems like what once felt fresh has now gotten stale.
Old 07-28-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review posted at Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

Jason Bourne (PG-13) - Yes, Bourne is back, but nothing much is new

The first three Bourne films, as a whole, are considered by many to be modern action classics. The series made Matt Damon a serious action star (his buddy Ben Affleck is still playing catch-up). All together, Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum told a complete story. There was a recent attempt to expand on the Bourne name without Damon, but for the most part, it felt forced and a bit flat.

Now comes the latest entry, Jason Bourne, and while Damon still looks good and is, well, right in the part of the covert soldier haunted by his past, there just seems to be something a bit off. Plot points from the previous films are recycled and slightly updated, but nothing really new is brought to the table. We’ve seen it all before...

Someone has again hacked into Intelligence servers and uncovered a ton of black ops files that date back to Treadstone, all the way up to the latest iteration, called Ironhand. Also uncovered is the origin of Treadstone, and how it ties into Bourne’s own history before he volunteered for the program. Once these very personal ties are shared with Bourne, he will stop at nothing to find more, and make sure Ironhand never gets off the ground.

Of course, those who oversee the latest black op (primarily Tommy Lee Jones), which involves sophisticated surveillance software using *gasp* mobile apps and devices we all use every day (original? nah.), Bourne is again targeted and hunted. He has some help from an eager agency analyst (Alicia Vikander) who seems to have her own ax to grind against those in charge. In pursuit of Bourne is an operative known only as the Asset, who suffered capture and torture at the hands of our nation’s enemies after the events of the first films, and holds Bourne personally responsible.

If this all seems familiar, well, that’s because it is covering a lot of the same ground as the previous films, and numerous Bourne wanna-be knock-offs that have come and gone.

That said, most of the action bits are decently staged by director Paul Greengrass, although I lost track a bit during a chase set during riots in Greece. However, the last action beat, the most ridiculously staged car chase involving an indestructible SWAT van plowing through the streets of Las Vegas seemed even more incredible than some of the stunts in the Fast and Furious movies.

I am sorry to say, I do not think think Jason Bourne, as a film, meets the standards of its predecessors. The stars are fine, some of the action is pretty good, but the story is made up of too many familiar elements. Plus, there’s no real closure! They should have hung a sign on the last few scenes saying “Come back for the sequel to see what happens next”. I am only giving Jason Bourne 2.5 out of 5 stars. Wait and rent it.

For parents: By now, you should know what to expect from a Bourne movie. Lots of close-range and sniper-type gun deaths. Hand-to-hand fights, with one culminating in a strangulation. A fair amount of loud destruction. G*dd**m about three times, plus a few other PG words scattered infrequently. No f-bombs.
Old 07-29-16, 01:29 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just saw this, and sure it's not as fresh as it used to be, it's still a Bourne movie, and a pretty good one. I don't see how it's any less thin than the last two movies as far as plot. The plots of these films have been paper thin to begin with. Expecting much more is expecting too much. This one actually feels more grounded than the last two Bourne films with Damon, despite that crazy (and fun) car chase scene near the end. I haven't seen too many films this summer at the theater, but this one was pretty satisfying. Damon is good once again, and I liked the supporting cast. It's more of the same, but then I expected that at this point in the series, which I think has been a bit overrated overall.
Old 07-29-16, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did Tony Gilroy not write this one? I don't see him credited on IMDB. That may be the problem.
Nope. Paul Greengrass co-wrote it with someone else.
Old 07-29-16, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I just got back from seeing and it was ok. I still think Ultimatum was the best one. This one I'd consider to be on the lower end of Damon's Bourne films but nowhere near as awful as Legacy was.

I'd rank the Bourne films:

Ultimatum
Identity
Jason Bourne
Supremacy

And they've set it up for a sequel, too. I also thought the supporting cast was fine. Vikander, Vincent Cassell, and Tommy Lee Jones were great. Vikander was a rather slimy type of character, too.
Old 07-29-16, 07:00 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Well the summer of unnecessary sequels continues...

I was pretty bored with this one. It was just a rehash of the same beats. I would've thought with all the hullabaloo for 9 years about not returning unless the story was perfect that this would be clutch and offer something new. But no. I really did not care for the daddy issue / link to Treadstone plot. It was cliched. The action was fine. I kind of felt like Bourne was barely in the movie. I guess that is from him only having 25 lines of dialogue. At an hour in I was already checking my watch and thinking there is still ANOTHER hour. Definitely my least favorite of the Damon movies.
Old 07-29-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disappointed. I LOVE Supremacy and Ultimatum - coming off those two this one doesn't even come close. The first hour is slow and very boring. The story that brings Bourne back is weak and even though we've got great actors like Jones and Vikander, they are given nothing to work with and playing the same plug and play characters we've seen a million times before. No one comes close to being as good as Joan Allen as a foil to Bourne.... very little tension in the cat and mouse sequences and no weight to the plot or what happens to the characters. That one big moment that does carry weight isn't done in any meaningful way and while it should resonate across the rest of the movie, it doesn't...

The social media plot is tired and although I like Riz Ahmed, he's got nothing to do either. Cassel is great and he gets some nice moments but the previous Bourne movies felt clever and sophisticated for BIG ACTION FLICKS and this just feels dumbed down. I still like Greengrass' style and I was on the edge of my seat for much of the Vegas stuff, but at the end of the day it is hollow and doesn't bring enough to the table to justify existing.
Old 07-29-16, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

that's a shame. i think i'll wait on this...
Old 07-29-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Matt Damon acts like he's sleepwalking through most of this one. Bourne also doesn't seem as clever this time around - but what he lacks in craftiness he compensates with omnipotent powers and telepathy.

It commits the basic sin of a bad sequel where it's not trying to tell a compelling story and is instead only interested in setting things up for more sequels. How awesome would it have been to provide closure to a series that is 14 years old and end on a high note? But of course no one ever wants to do that.

It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't great either.
Old 07-29-16, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision
Matt Damon acts like he's sleepwalking through most of this one.
I chalked that up to Bourne suffering from post-concussion syndrome due to all the underground fighting he seems to be participating in recent years.
Old 07-30-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So excited when I heard about this but all the reviews are telling the same story. Tired retread of a story. Unless I go on a business trip and am looking for something to do, this one is now a rental.
Old 07-30-16, 12:10 PM

I know critics may not be in love with this current version, but audiences don't seem to care (or agree, and yes, I know CinemaScore isn't everything, but anything above a B+ is always a good sign)...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4210&p=.htm

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Universal's Jason Bourne is coming out strong, delivering an estimated $22.7 million on Friday and heading toward a $60+ million opening weekend. This puts it ahead of Mojo's forecast and the "A-" CinemaScore answers whether or not opening day audiences would show it the support that would allow it to improve on expectations."

Internationally Jason Bourne debuted in 46 international markets and grossed an estimated $22.8 million, the largest international opening day for the Bourne franchise ever. The film is expected to top out around $50 million for the international weekend, resulting in a $110+ million worldwide opening.
Internationally Jason Bourne debuted in 46 international markets and grossed an estimated $22.8 million, the largest international opening day for the Bourne franchise ever. The film is expected to top out around $50 million for the international weekend, resulting in a $110+ million worldwide opening.
Old 07-30-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Saw it. Entertaining, but easily the most dumbed down of all Bourne movies. Unlike the other Damon/Greengrass entries where the action sequences were pretty organic with the story, this one came across as if they planned those first and wrote a movie around them instead. The Vegas scene was impressive, but seemed very self serving. A good selection for MoviePass, but may have been a bit underwhelmed otherwise.

P.S. This one was kind of predictable. I could tell from the previews and other movies like this that Julia Stiles' character wasn't going survive the first act.
Old 07-30-16, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Entertaining, but easily the most dumbed down of all Bourne movies. Unlike the other Damon/Greengrass entries where the action sequences were pretty organic with the story, this one came across as if they planned those first and wrote a movie around them instead. The Vegas scene was impressive, but seemed very self serving. A good selection for MoviePass, but may have been a bit underwhelmed otherwise.

P.S. This one was kind of predictable. I could tell from the previews and other movies like this that Julia Stiles' character wasn't going survive the first act.
Can't disagree with any of your criticisms. I still think the story with his dad was handled just as well as any other silly flashback scenes from the other films (sorry, I didn't think his "first kill" scenes were as great as I guess everyone else thought they were). I think people are wearing rose-colored glasses with the previous Damon trilogy. I just marathoned them all Thursday, and while fun and good, that's all they are. Stiles' character getting killed was just as predictable as Supremacy's beginning, no?
Old 07-30-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my wife to see it (she loves the films - I have never seen any of them), and I found it boring and seemingly edited by someone suffering from ADD. When Vikander checks into the Vegas hotel I counted 7 cuts and no dialog. It seemed overly long, and might have benefited by a reduction of 15-20 minutes.
Old 07-30-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Jason Bourne (The Bourne Addendum)... I enjoyed this more than the one with Jeremy Renner, but that's not saying much. This was definitely the worst of the Bourne movies with Damon. There wasn't much of a plot. In fact, Bourne was content doing his own thing off the grid until Nicky Parsons caught up with him and told him he didn't know everything that had been done to him. I was really hoping to learn more about what he had been doing between Ultimatum and now, and I was hoping they'd explore his relationship with Nicky a bit more. In the last one, he asked her why she was helping him, and she said something like, "It was hard for me... with you." Then she asked him if he remembered and he said no. Did that imply they were a couple? I've always wondered, and I guess now we'll never know. And why is it that Pamela Landy, Nicky, and now Heather Lee all want to help Bourne rather than do their duty as government agents and bring him in?

Back to The Bourne Continuum... Jason Bourne seemed to be a supporting character in his own movie this time around. It just felt like everyone else was in it a lot more than he was, and he had very little to say. I enjoyed the action scenes even though they seemed very familiar. (Just how many times can this guy walk away from a horrific car crash anyway?) I was sorry to see Nicky die because now there's one fewer character from the original trilogy he could interact with in future films. And the ending left little doubt there will be another one (The Bourne Cash Grab). 2 1/2 stars.
Old 07-30-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone counted the lines and Matt Damon only has 45 in the whole movie, most of which are short sentence fragments.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Yeah, it's basically a retread of the previous movies (bad CIA guys hunting down Bourne in a room full of computers and staring at screens, while Jason hop scotches around the globe trying to figure shit out), but it's still fun. The chase scene/riot in Greece was masterfully done, as was the chase scene along the Vegas Strip.

The most intriguing character was Heather, played by Alicia Vikander. She does a good job of keeping her cards very close to her chest with her almost robotic performance. Her American accent needs some work though. Does one have to be American-born to work for the CIA? I don't know but if you don't, they should have let her speak in her native Swedish-English accent and added some dialogue about being from there.
Old 07-30-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Wow...sounds like they should have titled this one "Jason Bored" (sorry, old joke)

Guess I'm waiting until home video.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.