Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What actor would face the most scrutiny returning to tv after a past standout role?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What actor would face the most scrutiny returning to tv after a past standout role?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Besides Bryan Cranston of course.
Old 07-14-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: What actor would face the most scrutiny returning to tv after a past standout rol

After George Hamilton took on the role as the Kentucky Fried Chicken guy.... nobody should take any shit for taking a TV gig.
Old 07-14-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What actor would face the most scrutiny returning to tv after a past standout rol

Tom Hanks coming crawling back to TV after his iconic work in Bosom Buddies and Family Ties
Old 07-14-16, 09:19 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

George Peppard going from "Breakfast At Tiffanys" to "The A-Team".
Old 07-14-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I guess he's more stand-up than actor but Dave Chappelle.
Old 07-14-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would say maybe Jerry Seinfeld.
Old 07-14-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Tom Hanks coming crawling back to TV after his iconic work in Bosom Buddies and Family Ties
Funny, I was thinking along similar lines.

James Carrey after breaking through on In Living Color
Old 07-14-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say Mathew Mcconaughey
Old 07-14-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce Willis.
Old 07-14-16, 11:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

David Caruso yet again...
Old 07-14-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Hypothetically? George Clooney. But he, like Hanks wouldn't do that except in a limited series.

Realistically? If Jennifer Aniston came back to TV for a lead role in a comedy show, that would get a TON of attention and scrutiny.

I'm also curious to see where John Hamm goes next. My guess would be a sitcom produced by Lorne Michaels. He really seems to like to show off his considerable comedy chops and I think he could make it work. But yeah, there would be a lot of scrutiny in that role as well
Old 07-14-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
David Caruso yet again...
I like him. Really like CSI Miami, but yea I hope he made good $$ and gets residual money as he probably never works again.
Old 07-14-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Right now? Bill Cosby.
Old 07-14-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

My first thought was Caruso or anyone else who flamed out on the big screen. Aniston has fared better, but still not great.
Old 07-14-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I'm also curious to see where John Hamm goes next. My guess would be a sitcom produced by Lorne Michaels. He really seems to like to show off his considerable comedy chops and I think he could make it work. But yeah, there would be a lot of scrutiny in that role as well
Hamm is a good choice.

Cranston has already done a very good job in tv-movie and movie roles since BB.
Old 07-14-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I would say maybe Jerry Seinfeld.
Upon reading the thread title the first person to pop into my head was Michael Richards...but I'd assume he'd face scrutiny for different reasons.
Old 07-14-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Upon reading the thread title the first person to pop into my head was Michael Richards...but I'd assume he'd face scrutiny for different reasons.
I don't think The Michael Richards Show was that iconic.
Old 07-14-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
My first thought was Caruso or anyone else who flamed out on the big screen. Aniston has fared better, but still not great.
I can think of a counter-example. David Duchovny flamed out on the big screen. But he was well received in Californiation, and Aquarius seems to be doing okay.
Old 07-14-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't think The Michael Richards Show was that iconic.
The Michael Richards Show came and went before his stand-up racial tirade. I think he'd be scrutinized a whole lot more nowadays.

And that YouTube video is downright painful to watch.
Old 07-14-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

It's easy to point to movie stars like Clooney or Hanks, but I think a leading actor from a previous hit show would face more scruitiny, especially if said actor won multiple awards for a previous role. John Hamm and Jerry Seinfeld are good. I'm always amazed at Ted Danson and Kelsy Grammer's ability to be in multiple hit shows.

What about someone like Mark Harmon. Would baby boomers tune into a different show that he's in?

Originally Posted by davidh777
Office Space
Iron Giant
Bruce Almighty
Along Came Polly
The Break-Up
Marley & Me
Horrible Bosses
We're the Millers

Yep, she should really throw in the towel at this point.

The real problem is that the bombs seem to overshadow the hits. Despite the hits above that's probably less than 30% of her career and the other 70% are bad...read bad.
Old 07-15-16, 08:29 AM

In recent times, the most tragic cases would be actors/actresses who went from big hits to lowering themselves down to stuff produced by The Asylum.

- Tara Reid
American Pie ---> Sharknado

- Ian Ziering
Beverly Hills 90210 ---> Sharknado

- Christopher Judge
Stargate SG-1 ---> Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark, Clash of Empires (Hobbits)

- Tom Everett Scott
That Thing You Do, Law & Order ---> Z Nation

- Daryl Hannah
Blade Runner, Wall Street ---> Zombie Night, Social Nightmare (Mother)

- Graham Greene
Dances With Wolves ---> Atlantic Rim (From The Sea)
Old 07-15-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Ted Danson is pretty amazing. You would have thought Sam Malone was so iconic a role that he would be hindered in other projects, but he played serious parts on CSI and Fargo with no problem.
Still, when he shows up in Saving Private Ryan, it is like "WTF is he doing here!?!?"

Jennifer Aniston is too smart to ever go back to TV.
She's as rich as fuck, so she does not need to ever work. She has not made it as a movie star, but I think she has proven she can be a movie actress. She's 47 and in a new marriage. 10 years after Friends went away, she is still a huge celebrity.
She does not need anything that TV has to offer.

I think Ted Danson is just one of those people that absolutely loves acting, whether it is a starring role or a guest spot on Curb.
Old 07-15-16, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The actor who could go to TV which would generate the greatest scrutiny that could theoretically happen is Tom Cruise. If HBO or FX or AMC announced a project tomorrow with Tom Cruise as the star, it would be easier to imagine than such a project with Clooney, Hanks, Cranston, Pitt, Denzel Washington, or Meryl Streep, yet it would have just as much buzz around it.
Old 07-15-16, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Jennifer Aniston is too smart to ever go back to TV.
She's as rich as fuck, so she does not need to ever work. She has not made it as a movie star, but I think she has proven she can be a movie actress. She's 47 and in a new marriage. 10 years after Friends went away, she is still a huge celebrity.
She does not need anything that TV has to offer.
In contrast, her Friends co-star Courtney Cox didn't seem to have much scrutiny in her post-Friends career, such as Cox's lead roles in tv shows like Dirt and Cougar Town.
Old 07-15-16, 11:19 AM

One actress who had a lot scrutiny and got pummeled after a big role, would be Katherine Heigl.

It seems like she has a reputation for being a difficult person, and critics not liking her at all. (Whether real or perceived).

A lot of people want to see her fail repeatedly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.