Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How come blurays don't have bookmarks anymore?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 09:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I always found that a handy feature since my player automatically turns off after 20 minutes or so if movie on pause. Liked to bookmark so I can return to exact spot. Seems most of my newer releases don't have the feature anymore.

Anyone know why this feature seems to have disappeared?
Old 07-13-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: How come blurays don't have bookmarks anymore?

Most of them have resume playback feature nowadays, so that makes bookmarks (for your use) unnecessary, doesn't it?
Old 07-13-16, 09:20 PM

I guess but most of the new releases I've got don't have the resume. Have the new Taking of Pelham and it doesn't...
Old 07-13-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Of all my years watching DVDs and Blu-rays I don't think I've ever used the bookmark feature. Maybe studios figure most people are like me and decided it was a waste to include them.
Old 07-13-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I have had players that would only work if they had an SD card in them for this feature.
Old 07-13-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Of all my years watching DVDs and Blu-rays I don't think I've ever used the bookmark feature. Maybe studios figure most people are like me and decided it was a waste to include them.
Never used it either. When I watch a movie, I watch the movie. Just like in the theater, there's no resume.
Old 07-13-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Never used it either. When I watch a movie, I watch the movie. Just like in the theater, there's no resume.
You must not have a wife and kids
Old 07-14-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I always bookmark mistakes, like boom mikes showing up and such. Seems like Fox titles still have them. Every Warner HD-DVD had them, but I don't think any of their Blu-Rays do.
Old 07-14-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
You must not have a wife and kids
Seriously....before I had a kid, I would always finish a movie no matter how long it took. Now, it takes me roughly 3-4 sittings to finish a movie if its not family friendly. Even if its late and everybody is asleep, I still go to bed usually because I know my kid is waking up at 6:00am even on the weekend and I'm a light sleeper.

So yeah, bookmarks or proper resume features are appreciated.
Old 07-14-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, I never used that function ever.
Old 07-14-16, 11:35 AM

Seriously....before I had a kid, I would always finish a movie no matter how long it took. Now, it takes me roughly 3-4 sittings to finish a movie if its not family friendly. Even if its late and everybody is asleep, I still go to bed usually because I know my kid is waking up at 6:00am even on the weekend and I'm a light sleeper.
Wow- even MORE reasons why I'm glad I don't have kids- just 2 cats!
Old 07-14-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I've never used bookmarks but resume is nice - and missing on most of my Blu-rays. It's quite annoying to stop a disc for some reason and then have to find where I was when I return. If I have to turn it off, or it shuts off because of being paused too long, the entire disc startup crap has to be endured *again* making it truly frustrating. If I have to stop a Blu-ray for some reason I note the timer location in case that disc doesn't support resume so I can search back to where I stopped when I have time to get back to the film.

Even if it works, my current player only "remembers" *one* disc. My DVD player remembered 10 and I could come back weeks later to resume something exactly where the disc had been removed. This is one area where I feel Blu-ray tech is a major failure.
Old 07-14-16, 11:48 AM

i do take back the lack of resume feature for the current incarnation of Pelham. i discovered it does have it which was nice. but, on other newer releases both bookmarks and resume seem to have been blatantly left off...
Old 07-14-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

The only discs I've noticed this on is the Universal ones with the My Scenes feature, which I've never used.
Old 07-14-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe studios figure most people are like me and decided it was a waste to include them.
Except that it takes no disc space and costs no money to implement the feature, so there is no "waste." It would make more sense to include the feature for those who want it because it has no downside for those who don't.
Old 07-18-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I miss chapter stops actually having names so I knew what the hell they were.
Old 07-19-16, 12:23 AM

Warner always identified any songs that were featured in chapters too. One reason I never hated the snapper cases- they had the chapter lists right inside. Lousy keepcases now have nothing.
Old 07-21-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Except that it takes no disc space and costs no money to implement the feature, so there is no "waste." It would make more sense to include the feature for those who want it because it has no downside for those who don't.
Depending on the menu format, it might actually take addition time and effort to implement it, hence why it's left off.

To go back a bit, there's two menu formats for BDs: BD-HDMV and BD-J. BD-HDMV is a simplified menu format similar to what DVDs have. It's basically just selection of "titles," and the player has a lot of control over the disc. Bookmarks aren't available with BD-HDMV, but players can implement a basic resume.

BD-J is a more advanced menu system that basically loads a Java app to run and play the BD. Bookmarks are possible in this menu system, but they have to be explicitly programmed into the app. Some authoring tools may offer it as a built-in option to add to a disc, some may not. Even resume has to be programmed into the app, as the player no longer has the ability to do it on its own.
https://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/5...uthoring-tools
http://netblender.ning.com/profiles/...-vs-bd-j-menus

If it's not included, then they're not bothering to add it during disc authoring. I'm guessing it's because studios have found out that the feature isn't commonly used, so it's not worth the extra time/effort to enable it over a more basic resume function.
Old 07-21-16, 04:54 PM

The non-Java discs don't make you wait through a loading screen. I've seen a few that have Java even though they don't even do anything fancy (not even bookmarking).
Old 07-23-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

IMHO, those JAVA menus are also another bad idea. JAVA is notoriously slow to load and has performance issues in a wide variety of implementations. I'm amazed such a horrid "language" was chosen. I've had discs with JAVA menus that take a full 5 minutes before I can press play. Those without JAVA load as quickly as a DVD. The sad part is JAVA is mainly used for worthless animations and flashy menus that don't add a thing to the film.

Yes, I know JAVA is "cross platform" but "apps" programmed in JAVA are typically the worst performing pieces of crud I've ever used whether they be imbedded in some hardware or used to replace a desktop program. That this crap is in many new automobiles frightens the heck out of me!

Of course I'm also amazed so many developers abandon small, lightweight, quick to respond, desktop programs in favor of a JAVA app. Many of my server tools have been "upgraded" to JAVA and it now takes three times as long with twice as many clicks to do those same basic functions as before.