Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Jungle Book (2016) - 8/30/16

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-08-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like Star Wars, no 3D version at release, but confirmed for a later date. I'm guessing someone ran the numbers and figured that a certain percentage of people will double dip. But for me, at least I know now that I can skip this one and wait for the 3D version.

Special Features:

"The Jungle Book" Reimagined – Favreau sits down with producer Brigham Taylor and visual effects supervisor Robert Legato to discuss "The Jungle Book" and reflect on the years they devoted to the reimagining of this timeless tale. Discover how Rudyard Kipling's original stories and the classic animated film influenced their unique approach, witness the technical wizardry that enabled the team to create a believable and thrilling movie-going experience, and learn how they borrowed a page from Walt Disney's innovation playbook to make it all happen. Lastly, meet the all-star voice cast who help bring the film's colorful characters to life, as well as the musicians who accent the adventure with a majestic music score.

I Am Mowgli – Follow the extraordinary journey of 12-year-old Neel Sethi, who was selected from thousands of hopefuls worldwide to play Mowgli "alongside" some of today's biggest movie stars. Get a glimpse of Neel's life before Hollywood came calling, check out his audition that sealed the deal, and see how a close-working relationship with Favreau brought out his best. Plus, Neel shares how filming "The Jungle Book" was one wild ride, from working alongside imaginary animals to performing some super-fun stunts.

King Louie's Temple: Layer by Layer – So, exactly how do you create a musical number featuring one man-cub, a massive, legendary ape and an army of wild and wily monkeys in the Seeonee jungle? Viewers are granted rare and unique access to the development of the "I Wan'na Be Like You" sequence in which King Louie attempts to coerce Mowgli into giving up Man's deadly "red flower" (fire). A fast-moving musical progression reel showcases storyboards, animatics, Christopher Walken's recording session and visual effects layers, which ultimately merge to form one of the film's most memorable scenes.

Audio Commentary – Favreau delivers his scene-by-scene perspective on the live-action adventure "The Jungle Book" with all the candor and humor you'd expect from this multi-talented actor-writer-director-producer.

Spoiler:
Old 07-08-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: The Jungle Book (2016) - 8/30/16

I am waiting for the 3D version as well.
Old 07-08-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

It'll be out right away in Europe. And likely region-free.
Old 07-08-16, 01:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

another great Atmos mix thrown to the wind ...
Old 07-08-16, 06:09 PM

Has Disney put out anything with Atmos yet? I'm not yet equipped for that but want to be ready for it when I am.
Old 07-11-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Has Disney put out anything with Atmos yet? I'm not yet equipped for that but want to be ready for it when I am.
No. The assumption is that they're going to be like Fox and make Atmos a UHD exclusive feature. However, Disney also hasn't jumped on the UHD train yet either.
Old 08-20-16, 10:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Is there a region free 3D version someone find at reasonable price?
Old 08-21-16, 08:28 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is there a region free 3D version someone find at reasonable price?
The UK release is region free.
Old 08-22-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

It's $24.49 shipped to the US from Amazon.co.uk if you have to have it now.

I like to wait until they have one of their 2-for- £20 deal on Disney 3D titles. They've had that sort of a sale numerous times and I'm sure to grab a couple of 3D discs every time they do.
Old 08-22-16, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No 3D in the US? Well, I'm not gonna wait for something that may never be released domestically, so I'm ordering the UK version as well.
Old 08-22-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
No 3D in the US? Well, I'm not gonna wait for something that may never be released domestically, so I'm ordering the UK version as well.
Read the initial post -- it's confirmed for a later release date, like The Force Awakens was earlier. That release is coming in November.
Old 08-22-16, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
Read the initial post -- it's confirmed for a later release date, like The Force Awakens was earlier. That release is coming in November.
I did read it but we never got "Frozen" "Maleficent" nor "Big Hero 6" ...just not sure I should wait but I guess November is right around the corner anyway.
Old 08-23-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

just not sure I should wait but I guess November is right around the corner anyway.
The November release is for Star Wars, not Jungle Book. The release is slated for "at a later date." I bet we see Jungle Book 3D in February or March 2017.
Old 08-23-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

I did read it but we never got "Frozen" "Maleficent" nor "Big Hero 6" ...just not sure I should wait but I guess November is right around the corner anyway.
But we did get Zootopia 3D, which may be a good sign that Disney is changing its "No 3D on Blu-ray" stance.
Old 08-23-16, 11:20 AM

Regardless, I don't know what they expect to accomplish by delaying the 3D release of this, especially if it's already available elsewhere. Delaying Star Wars was pretty stupid also (they keep saying the market for 3D is too small, and a day 1 release of Star Wars would have helped that), but at least that has a few more extras and it's being touted as another "big" release. We'll just see if it prompts anyone to go buy a 3D TV who doesn't have one already.
Old 08-23-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck finding a 3D TV nowadays. Ever since Samsung pulled out, I think LG (and maybe Vizio?) Is the last man standing.
Old 08-24-16, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Good luck finding a 3D TV nowadays. Ever since Samsung pulled out, I think LG (and maybe Vizio?) Is the last man standing.
You don't know what you are talking about. The myth of 3D's imminent demise has been circulating around these forums for years now. Supposedly there were not going to be any Samsung models released in 2016 that were 3D capable. But there are currently 5 3D capable models of Samsung televisions from 50" to 85" available at Best Buy at this writing...Sony has 7, LG has 10 and even Sharp has a model. If you do a search at Fry's Electronics there is an abundance of 3D capable displays available. Hell, they can't keep the well-priced Samsung 5150 Active 3D glasses in stock at my two Fry's Electronics stores. Vizio is the only one you listed that has dropped that feature and they are the bargain basement manufacturer—the "Yugo" of televisions. My folks bought a Vizio television and though the picture is nice, they couldn't access the internet with the piece of junk....a problem many have experienced with Vizio wi-fi. So if they abandoned the format it's no great loss. If you can't find a 3D capable television, you aren't trying very hard—no, actually you aren't trying at all. I'm hoping to be purchasing a 75" display this fall and it will be 3D capable and likely a Samsung model.

I started collecting again about two years ago and that bull about the demise of 3D was being spread as I was scooping up every 3D title I could find at a decent price. If 3D was an animal it would be a cat—it must have 9 lives because it survives despite the false prognostications of the "briliant" members who post such hogwash in these forums. It seems like there are more titles being released now than ever and they disappear at my Best Buy rather quickly whenever they are on sale. Surely, the folks at Disney would not release a full fledged special release of "The Force Awakens" in November if they believed it would not sell. The 3D format is not dead—not by a long shot.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-24-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 11:16 AM

Vizio TVs are crap- I had one and it got messed up through a firmware update, then they tried to weasel their way out of honoring the warranty. I'll never buy anything from them again. Yes, Samsung has dropped 3D, which is sad since they put out the first promotional 3D Blu-ray discs (including the first available versions of How to Train Your Dragon and Monsters Vs. Aliens). LG seems to be the biggest supporter of 3D at this point, Sony includes it on their TVs but doesn't really promote it, and I've had many problems with their stuff in the past anyways. There still needs to be 3D displays and such in stores to get people to see it for themselves. A lot of the displays they had before weren't even working (active glasses had dead batteries or they didn't have any 3D source material playing.)

I just ordered Jungle Book from Amazon UK, along with Alice and a few other 3D titles that aren't out here. If Disney wants to keep playing that game, fine with me. I've gotten used to ordering from the UK by now.
Old 08-24-16, 11:35 AM
Banned

...I just ordered Jungle Book from Amazon UK, along with Alice and a few other 3D titles that aren't out here. If Disney wants to keep playing that game, fine with me. I've gotten used to ordering from the UK by now.
I am likely going to do the same but I want to acquire a region-free player before I start buying any more imports. And one last thing about 3D...

Originally Posted by Bill Hunt, The Digital Bits
...What’s more, all of the display manufacturers tell me that while they’re pulling back from 3D on many of their models in the near term, they’re aggressively working on autostereoscopic 3D displays in their labs. When that technology is ready, they’re going to get back into home 3D in a big way. And since Blu-ray 3D is display format-agnostic, it’s quite possible that all of your existing Blu-ray 3D titles will work better than ever on those future glasses-free displays.
I'm willing to gamble that his statement is true and my investment will continue to pay off!

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-24-16 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 11:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Vizio TVs are crap- I had one and it got messed up through a firmware update, then they tried to weasel their way out of honoring the warranty. I'll never buy anything from them again. Yes, Samsung has dropped 3D, which is sad since they put out the first promotional 3D Blu-ray discs (including the first available versions of How to Train Your Dragon and Monsters Vs. Aliens). LG seems to be the biggest supporter of 3D at this point, Sony includes it on their TVs but doesn't really promote it, and I've had many problems with their stuff in the past anyways. There still needs to be 3D displays and such in stores to get people to see it for themselves. A lot of the displays they had before weren't even working (active glasses had dead batteries or they didn't have any 3D source material playing.)

I just ordered Jungle Book from Amazon UK, along with Alice and a few other 3D titles that aren't out here. If Disney wants to keep playing that game, fine with me. I've gotten used to ordering from the UK by now.
A resounding yes on the whole Vizio brand. They suck and I will never buy anything from them again. I don't even care that their premium models are getting high ratings.

I nixed the idea of having 3D on my TV. I'm now on the lookout for a 70"+ TV with HDR and Dolby Vision. And my 3D solution? Projector with a 100" screen. Im still fully supporting 3D, but while there is still available TV's with 3D, projection is now my solution. And it's been a wonderful solution so far.
Old 08-24-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't know what you are talking about.
You're right, I don't know what I'm talking about

http://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-is-no...ead-than-ever/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/3d-televisi...uction-1542580

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1455263207

and the 5 TV's that you pointed out at Best Buy? None of those are new models. Hell, even on Samsung's site you can't even find a little "3D" selection bubble like they had on their site last year. That is how I was searching for TV's before I settled on a projector. And as I said in my original post, LG scaled back heavily, but you can still find them on a few models.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
And my 3D solution? Projector with a 100" screen. Im still fully supporting 3D, but while there is still available TV's with 3D, projection is now my solution. And it's been a wonderful solution so far.
same here (except I'm on a 135" screen ). It's still the best bang for your buck as long as you have the room to accommodate one.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 08-24-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 05:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I ordered the Zavvi SteelBook. I figured what the hell...
Old 08-25-16, 12:27 PM
Banned

You're right, I don't know what I'm talking about

http://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-is-no...ead-than-ever/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/3d-televisi...uction-1542580

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1455263207

and the 5 TV's that you pointed out at Best Buy? None of those are new models. Hell, even on Samsung's site you can't even find a little "3D" selection bubble like they had on their site last year. That is how I was searching for TV's before I settled on a projector. And as I said in my original post, LG scaled back heavily, but you can still find them on a few models....
Your statement was incredibly misleading and factually untrue. To quote you again:

Originally Posted by mattysemo
You said, "Good luck finding a 3D TV nowadays." My point, without taking me out of context, was that finding a 3D display is incredibly easy. You can't shop for a new display without running into a dozen 3D capable models. I am well aware of all the articles you linked to...and to quote myself, "...supposedly there were not going to be any Samsung models released in 2016 that were 3D capable. But there are currently 5 3D capable models of Samsung televisions from 50" to 85" available at Best Buy at this writing." There are nuances in speech that you need to pick up such as "at this writing." My criticism of your post was the false implication that 3D displays were hard-to-find. That's simply not the case. And if you read all of the articles you posted you would also find that the 3D option will continue to be available on higher end models by both Sony and LG. So what you were implying in your statement was incredibly misleading. In a couple of years your statement might be closer to accurate. However, by then, autostereoscopic displays will likely be all the rage and you can bet your arse that Samsung will be all over that technology very soon. Nobody's abandoning 3D—not by a long-shot.

Originally Posted by Bill Hunt, The Digital Bits
...What’s more, all of the display manufacturers tell me that while they’re pulling back from 3D on many of their models in the near term, they’re aggressively working on autostereoscopic 3D displays in their labs. When that technology is ready, they’re going to get back into home 3D in a big way. And since Blu-ray 3D is display format-agnostic, it’s quite possible that all of your existing Blu-ray 3D titles will work better than ever on those future glasses-free displays.
So enjoy that projector while you can.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-25-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are quite the character.

Sure, if you want to buy last year's model, then you can probably still find some 3D sets floating around out there. I can probably start driving around to some pawn shops and find some too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to. The point is, if the manufactures had faith in 3D and thought it was still a selling point, it would still be offered on most sets. But they don't and it's not. So if you are looking for a new (2016) 4K TV today, chance is it's not going to have 3D.

Anyways, to get this tread back on track, I look forward to checking out Jungle Book in 3D at some point next year

Last edited by mattysemo247; 08-25-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 12:04 AM
Banned

You are quite the character.

Sure, if you want to buy last year's model, then you can probably still find some 3D sets floating around out there. I can probably start driving around to some pawn shops and find some too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to. The point is, if the manufactures had faith in 3D and thought it was still a selling point, it would still be offered on most sets. But they don't and it's not. So if you are looking for a new (2016) 4K TV today, chance is it's not going to have 3D.

Anyways, to get this tread back on track, I look forward to checking out Jungle Book in 3D at some point next year
They are not "floating around out there." You keep trying to imply something that isn't true. It took me less than five minutes to locate a dozen models available to carry-out in the Phoenix market. So, I would challenge you to go to the Fry's Electronics website, the Best Buy website, Amazon and a few other well-known online audio/video retailers and you will find it effortless to find a plethora of 3D capable displays. I don't think most consumers really care or know whether its a 2014, 2015, 2016—all I was pointing out is that finding a 3D set is not a chore—its effortless. There will be plenty of inventory around for awhile and it is not being fully abandoned. That was my only bone of contention with what you posted. There are plenty of models to choose from at various locations online and through brick& mortar retailers.

I may import Jungle Book when I buy a region-free player in the next month or so.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-26-16 at 12:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.