Martial Law (Late 90s Sammo Hung CBS series) coming to DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-22-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mar...llection/22393

Not many details, but it says it's coming sometime in August.

Loved the show even though it only lasted 2 seasons. Plus, there was a young Kelly Hu on it.

Here's the opening credits from the 2nd season when Arsenio Hall joined the show:

Article also says the 2 crossover episodes with Early Edition and Walker Texas Ranger will also be included.

I recall some people didn't like season 2 because they thought adding Arsenio made it too much like a Rush Hour rip-off.
Old 06-23-16, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Martial Law (Late 90s Sammo Hung CBS series) coming to DVD

I have no recollection of Arsenio being in this. Maybe I missed season 2.
Old 06-23-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ytrez
I have no recollection of Arsenio being in this. Maybe I missed season 2.
Actually Arsenio was in the 1st season, but only as a guest star, then he became a series regular in season 2 from what I recall.

His character was an LAPD Press Liaison in the 1st season. The show got a new showrunner in season 2 and they promoted him to full out detective, which seemed ridiculous.

Before the show was cancelled, I recall Arsenio announced he wouldn't come back for a 3rd season.

Sammo had a lot of problems working on this show because his english is extremely limited.
Old 06-24-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I enjoyed the show and I think it improved greatly with Arsenio. I probably won't buy it on DVD, but I'm hoping Grit or MeTV will show it now that it's being released.
Old 07-22-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mar...llection/22499

Martial Law is an American/Canadian crime drama that aired on CBS from 1998 to 2000, and was created by Carlton Cuse. The title character, Sammo Law, portrayed by Sammo Hung, was a Chinese law officer and martial arts expert who came to Los Angeles in search of a colleague and remains in the US.

The show was a surprise hit, making Hung the only East Asian headlining a prime-time network series in the United States. At the time, Hung was not fluent in English, and he reportedly recited some of his dialogue phonetically. In many scenes, Hung did not speak at all, making Martial Law perhaps the only US television series in history that featured so little dialogue from the lead character.
A month ago we updated you to expect this title sometime in August, and today Visual Entertainment Inc. (VEI) has begun accepting pre-orders at their online studio store (see button link below) for Martial Law - The Complete Collection on DVD. VEI tells us that they expect to ship it beginning Friday, August 12th (although that date could change a little bit, either closer or farther away).

Priced at $59.99 SRP, you'll get all 44 episodes from both seasons. As extras, you'll get bonus cross-over episodes of Early Edition ("Play It Again, Sammo") and of Walker, Texas Ranger ("The Day of Cleansing"). Also, the debut episode "Shanghai Express" will come with an Audio Commentary by show creator Carlton Cuse (Lost, Nash Bridges). Here's a look at the packaging for this long-awaited 10-DVD set:
Old 07-24-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't know that it is "long awaited" by many, but I definitely enjoyed the show when it was on. Hopefully this gets a wider release than just the VEI website so we will see a lower price. I dont see a listing yet on Amazon, but that means very little at this point.
Old 07-25-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jjcool
I don't know that it is "long awaited" by many, but I definitely enjoyed the show when it was on. Hopefully this gets a wider release than just the VEI website so we will see a lower price. I dont see a listing yet on Amazon, but that means very little at this point.
VEI usually has a Sales around November-December/Black Friday. I bought The Equalizer the complete series around that time for about 50% off MSRP and they gave me free shipping as well. .

$59.99 is a little pricey for a 2 season DVD series from almost 18 years ago.

If Martial Law drops to around $25-30, I'll probably get it.

I also want to get Matt Houston, but I'll also wait until that drops as well.
Old 07-25-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
VEI usually has a Sales around November-December/Black Friday. I bought The Equalizer the complete series around that time for about 50% off MSRP and they gave me free shipping as well. .

$59.99 is a little pricey for a 2 season DVD series from almost 18 years ago.

If Martial Law drops to around $25-30, I'll probably get it.

I also want to get Matt Houston, but I'll also wait until that drops as well.
That is good news indeed. I would like to see it for around $10 a season, but I think I would bite for $25-30 total as well.
Old 09-21-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.amazon.com/Martial-Compl...6RVT5N4XJH0MXQ

Now $39.99 on Amazon.

I'm holding out for the Holidays. Hoping that VEI will have a sale around November like years past. If this drops to around $25 I'll probably get it. $19.99 would be even better.
Old 12-24-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

So I ended up purchasing this from Amazon.

Paid $38.99 for it. VEI unfortunately didn't discount it very much during Black Friday. It was $35.99 and shipping over there kills it. I think they charge like $9 shipping.

Anyways, I just finished watching the Pilot with commentary. I haven't seen the show in years. Carlton Cuse does the commentary. He gives a lot of good information about the show, how it was developed, the actors and Sammo. However, he strangely decides to end the commentary with 12 minutes left in the episode. He basically said that's all I got, hope you enjoy the rest of the episode.

Cuse mentioned that he quit the show after season 1 because he was also producing Nash Bridges at the same time and the work load was killing him.

Hard to believe this show aired 18 years ago. Time really flies. I was nice seeing a really young Kelly Hu. She still looks hot now at 48.

The DVD set does also include the crossover episodes with Early Edition and Walker, Texas Ranger.
Old 01-05-17, 01:06 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I got this around Black Friday from Barnes and Noble for around $25 with coupon and discounted gift cards. Originally priced at $35.
Old 02-01-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Down to $29.99 at AMAZON
Old 03-13-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. Found the set at a nearby walmart recently, and picked it up as an impulse buy. (Less expensive than buying it online).

Just as funny as I remembered it back in the day. (I didn't watch every episode back then).