Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
0%
15.63%
15.63%
31.25%
6.25%
25.00%
0%
3.13%
3.13%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-21-16, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Independence Day: Resurgence" (Starring: Jeff Goldblum, Liam Hemsworth, Jessie T. Usher, Bill Pullman, Maika Monroe, Sela Ward, William Fichtner, Brent Spiner)

Release Date:
6/24/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and destruction, and for some language throughout.)

Running Time:
120m. (2h. 00m.)

Budget:
$200 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
We always knew they were coming back. After 'Independence Day' redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens' advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.4 (621 votes as of 6/21/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:06 Rotten:05 (55% as of 6/21/16)

Metacritic:
49 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 6/21/16)

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCe_JshWOZ0

Poster Art:
Old 06-21-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

2 hours sounds like a good running time.
Old 06-24-16, 06:49 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This wasn't terrible. Though, I don't think it is very memorable. Jeff Goldblum was great. Liam Hemsworth was ok. Maika Monroe continues to be beautiful. I've never seen the kid who played Hiller's son in anything before but I thought he was pretty terrible. Bill Pullman's acting seemed kind of off. Judd Hirsch served no purpose and could've been cut. I was surprised to see a nice cameo by Robert Loggia. I thought he had died way before this, but he must've filmed it very close to his passing. Also, I may have missed it... but do they mention at all what happened to Goldblum's wife?

I really liked how they opened up the world in this. While the '96 film was more of a disaster movie with some Sci-Fi, this one is pretty much a full on Sci-Fi movie. It'll be interesting to see the 3rd one...if they end up making it.
Old 06-24-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I normally get CG overload with movies like this, so much happening that I get detached from what's happening. But this was a fun, silly, popcorn movie where I felt everything clicked. I loved the disaster element, everything being bigger and better than the first movie. A giant alien in broad daylight, I always love when they bring the big baddies out of the shadows.

I'm always a fan of Fichtner and he did great in his commanding roll. I liked Pullman as crazy old president, but getting it together for a inspirational speech. Sela Ward was awesome as the President. Everyone else did a serviceable job.

It certainly exceeded my expectations.
Old 06-24-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

When the crazy scientist went on about the big Alien ball having advanced technology I thought they were leading into the Stargate reboot.
Old 06-24-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Those who follow Chris Gore (G4, Film Threat) saw his review: a pic of him flipping off the movie ticket with the caption, "The worst. DUMBEST movie of this summer...or any summer. I can't believe I paid to see this piece of shit."

Sure didn't mince words.
Old 06-24-16, 11:18 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

That is really an overstatement...
Old 06-24-16, 11:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Those who follow Chris Gore (G4, Film Threat) saw his review: a pic of him flipping off the movie ticket with the caption, "The worst. DUMBEST movie of this summer...or any summer. I can't believe I paid to see this piece of shit."

Sure didn't mince words.
I wonder what the hell he was expecting...
Old 06-24-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I wonder what the hell he was expecting...
First movie is a lot of fun so maybe he just felt very letdown, maybe.

I haven't seen it yet to compare. I am planning on making my own double-feature seeing this along with The Shallows.
Old 06-24-16, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
First movie is a lot of fun so maybe he just felt very letdown, maybe.

I haven't seen it yet to compare. I am planning on making my own double-feature seeing this along with The Shallows.
This was my exact double feature. From a big budget spectacular to a small budget tension fest. I enjoyed both but the Shallows was more enjoyable to me.
Old 06-24-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xndman
This was my exact double feature. From a big budget spectacular to a small budget tension fest. I enjoyed both but the Shallows was more enjoyable to me.
I am still deciding on which order to watch them. Leaning towards what you did.
Old 06-24-16, 02:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review posted on my Facebook page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE (PG-13) - They’re baaaaaccccckkkk!

The short answer up front is: Independence Day: Resurgence is a blast from the past, in the best possible way. As a fresher, I recently revisited the original alien invasion film ID4, and was very impressed that, despite the dated technology and the ridiculous plot devices, the action and destructive special effects really have held up, even after 20 years. I remember taking my son to see this with some of his friends for his 12th birthday, and have fond memories of the good time we had watching it together.

It’s 20 years later, and the world is at peace with itself because everyone is united on protecting Earth from further alien incursions. This includes adapting the scavenged alien tech to create new types of fighters craft, weaponry and other defensive measures. It’s soon discovered that another gigantic alien threat is right on our doorstep, after our moon defenses pre-emptively take out a smaller ship before it can attack. A team exploring THAT wreckage, though, discover something very interesting…

I will leave the plot right there, though. Independence Day: Resurgence really worked for me because 1) I did NOT know a lot of details about the story going in, just what I’d seen in trailers, and 2) the filmmakers did a terrific job recreating the look and feel of the original film in this one’s gigantic, and I really mean gigantic special effects and action beats. This movie begs to be watched on the biggest screen possible - I saw it in FauxMax and 3D of our local AMC theater, and I am glad I did.

It was great seeing a large number of actors from the original film as the characters they created, and actually playing a vital role in the story. Especially fun to watch were Jeff Goldblum’s David Levinson, Bill Pullman as the former president, and most fun, Brent Spiner bringing Dr. Okum back to life, crazy but effective as ever (he’s been in a coma since his alien encounter). There is also a new generation of heroes on board, including Capt. Hiller’s stepson, the former president’s daughter, both now grown up, and two hot-shot fly boys who were orphaned in the original invasion 20 years earlier.

The other thing that impressed me about this film was that, even though the stakes were raised even higher, there was still a LOT of humor in the story, just like the first. It kept the movie from going “dark”, despite the dire situations being portrayed.

Were parts of this film ridiculous? Yep, just like the first one. Were there corny one-liners and pseudo-scientific resolutions to the mounting issues throughout the movie? Yep, just like the first one. Did we get to see aliens? Oh, yeah, even more so that the first movie, including a alien queen of proportions that must be seen to be believed. Did a dog escape death by seconds? Yes, you could say that. Did somebody tell their mom to go to their sister’s to escape danger? Why, yes! Are there things that can be nit-picked to death if you’re looking to do that? Of course. Should you just go see this movie if you loved the first one? Absolutely. Did they set up it for a sequel? Yes, and I believe the plan is for two more films.

Independence Day: Resurgence was just a fun, explosion/destruction/alien-filled blast that had me smiling fondly one minute, cheering the next minute, and dropping my jaw the next. I am giving it a 4 out of 5.

For parents: there are a few PG-level words every once in a great while (s**t about 4 or 5 times, a** a couple of times, SOB once and maybe a couple of others). No F bombs. Some survivors from the first film have psychic visions, caused by a connection to the aliens, that some young viewers may find disturbing. The scariest scenes involve the former president and an alien that was reminiscent of a scene in the first movie, and the aftermath when a few aliens escape from their cells in Area 51. The primary reason for the PG-13 rating is the sci-fi action and disaster scenes on a global scale.
Old 06-24-16, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I am giving it a 4 out of 5.
Your review? I'm here for it....all of it.
Old 06-24-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Perfectly average. Hillers son was terrible. Just generic with no character. Judd's character had no reason to be in the movie other than he was affordable and an original.

Goldblum and Spinner are the best characters.

I'm sorta interested in iPhone sphear giving them tech to take the fight to the aliens in a sequel.

Solid B-
Old 06-24-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it. Cliches and melodrama (aka typical Roland Emmerich fare) aside, I enjoyed the movie. The lack of Will Smith hurt, and the humor they injected to make up for his absence didn't always work. Still, this one had more of a big space adventure vibe with lots of cool weaponry and sets. I also liked that they gave the actual aliens more screen time . Brent Spiner's role was increased about hundred fold . Sometimes he was funny, other times annoying. Jeff Goldblum delivered, as he typically does. Hope he turns up in a new Jurassic Park.

Q: did this one come across as more of a reboot than a sequel? The amount of time between this one and the first along with the ending seemed like this was meant more as a new starting point than a second chapter . I wouldn't be too hot for a sequel to this one if the premise they set up in this one didn't seem so cool. Kind of like a larger scale Last Starfighter scenario.
Old 06-24-16, 07:35 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Wasn't expecting much, but we enjoyed it for what it is. Whoever played the Asian pilot was TERRIBLE!! I am, though, interested by where a possible sequel might go given the ending. Spiner was fun and Goldblum and Hemsworth were fine as well. Nice to see so many cameos from the original.
Old 06-24-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got back from seeing it as well. It was entertaining, but didn't add anything new to the genre. Ended up being a pretty by the numbers summer science fiction disaster flick.

Enjoyed seeing most of the key original cast return like Goldblum, Pullman, Spiner and even Judd Hirsch. I didn't think bringing Julius back was pointless. He was obviously the comic relief for the lighter scenes. I enjoyed his interactions with Goldblum. I liked Hemsworth as one of the heroes. The guy playing Hiller's stepson was okay. Definitely doesn't have the presence of a Will Smith. I thought it was funny how they tried to use him to rip off some of Smith's lines from the first movie.

On the other hand, bringing back Vivica A. Fox as Jasmine was pointless. What did she have 2 scenes and maybe less than 5 minutes of screen time? They didn't even have her interact with her son. I recall that Jasmine was a former stripper, so now she's a doctor? Fox must have been jumping for joy getting the call to do this and getting a major studio check for what little she did after being mostly in TV movie and direct to video hell the last decade or so.

The special fx were good, but again it didn't really bring anything new to the table. Judging by how it ended, looks like they are hoping for a 3rd movie. Not a true cliffhanger per se, but they are leaving it open for the story to continue.

I'd give it a B or B-. Only recommended for fans of the first movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-24-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What a let down. It was still fun, and I expected it to be stupid, but my god was this stupid. There were too many moments where I was completely taken out of the film by dumb, contrived, and lazy writing (especially the ones that served no purpose). And did they have to hit every single disaster/alien movie cliche and trope?

This is basically the first movie all over again, except dialed up to 11. Everything is bigger, including the plot holes. But in the end, I still enjoyed myself. It could have been so much better, but it was fun enough.
Old 06-24-16, 10:40 PM
Banned

"We're going to kick some alien butt!"

Fuck you, no you are not. Any sequel plans for this will have been dashed by July 4 when this will already be gone from most theatres. The kind of movie you completely forget about by the time you make it back to your car in the parking garage.
Old 06-25-16, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got back from seeing it as well. It was entertaining, but didn't add anything new to the genre. Ended up being a pretty by the numbers summer science fiction disaster flick.

Enjoyed seeing most of the key original cast return like Goldblum, Pullman, Spiner and even Judd Hirsch. I didn't think bringing Julius back was pointless. He was obviously the comic relief for the lighter scenes. I enjoyed his interactions with Goldblum. I liked Hemsworth as one of the heroes. The guy playing Hiller's stepson was okay. Definitely doesn't have the presence of a Will Smith. I thought it was funny how they tried to use him to rip off some of Smith's lines from the first movie.

On the other hand, bringing back Vivica A. Fox as Jasmine was pointless. What did she have 2 scenes and maybe less than 5 minutes of screen time? They didn't even have her interact with her son. I recall that Jasmine was a former stripper, so now she's a doctor?
No stripper scenes!? Thanks for the review...sounds like a holding on to nostalgia sequel, except there wasn't a lot for the original film. The trailers for the first movie killed it, because we hadn't seen images like that before (or for a very long time), and they were fun. Didn't seem to translate 20ysr later...Goldblume one-liners will only get you so far.
Old 06-25-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Whoa, sounds like this is tanking. For some reason I expected it would do well but didn't realise it was opening against Pixar.

Deadline.com

4TH WRITETHRU, Saturday 8:15AM: 20th Century Fox’s UFO movie Independence Day: Resurgence is getting crushed by Disney/Pixar’s animated sequel Finding Dory, with the latter tearing up its pre-weekend projections for a huge second FSS that’s estimated at $75.4M, dipping an amazing -44% and flying past $288M by Sunday.

Resurgence is landing below expectations with $43.4M this weekend after a $16.8M Friday. That’s disastrous for a 20-year-old beloved blockbuster franchise that Fox counted as one of its summer pillars. If there’s any prayer for Resurgence‘s domestic box office apocalypse to cease, then it lies abroad where this $165M-$200M Roland Emmerich film is expected do draw $100M-$150M this weekend. Resurgence‘s older male demos (56% men, 67% over 25) aren’t that far from the original’s audience. The only difference is that the 1996 film had an overall A CinemaScore and won over various demos with A+ grades. The sequel has clearly fizzled with audiences who gave it an overall B CinemaScore. Few demos provided a high mark of A- and that was the under 18, 18-24 and under 25 crowds (33%).
Old 06-25-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It was expected to land between $40m and $50m for sometime now.
Old 06-25-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I would say this is a case where

A) They waited too long to make the sequel, long past the point where people cared about it
B) The age group that made the first one a hit has had time to reflect upon the first and realized it really wasn't that good
C) Both A and B
Old 06-25-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I was going to say that hopefully there won't be a third one, but it really doesn't matter as whatever Emmerich ends up doing will be crap.
Old 06-25-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Whoa, sounds like this is tanking. For some reason I expected it would do well but didn't realise it was opening against Pixar.
It isn't. Dory opened last weekend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.