Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 12:19 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Created by Oscar(R)-winning writer-director Cameron Crowe, and executive produced by Crowe, Winnie Holzman and J.J. Abrams, ROADIES is an insider's look at the reckless, romantic, funny and often poignant lives of a committed group of "roadies" who live for music and the de facto family they've formed along the way. The series chronicles the rock world through the eyes of music's unsung heroes and puts the spotlight on the backstage workers who put the show on the road while touring the United States for the successful arena-level group, The Staton-House Band. Luke Wilson (The Royal Tenenbaums, Old School, Enlightened) stars as the band's tour manager opposite Screen Actors Guild(R) Award nominee Carla Gugino (San Andreas, The Brink, The Space Between Us) as the production manager. Their unique personal and professional relationship is forever crashing and colliding as they guide the daily events of the band and crew of roadies. Imogen Poots (The Look of Love), Rafe Spall (One Day), Academy Award(R) nominee Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider), Peter Cambor (NCIS: Los Angeles), Colson Baker a.k.a. Machine Gun Kelly (Beyond the Lights) and Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy Tour) star in the ensemble cast. Luis Guzmán (Boogie Nights), Jacqueline Byers (The Strain), Finesse Mitchell (Saturday Night Live), Branscombe Richmond (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) and Tanc Sade (Matador, Gilmore Girls) guest star.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Branscombe Richmond as Puna
· Carla Gugino as Shelli
· Colson Baker as Jesse
· Finesse Mitchell as Harvey
· Imogen Poots as Kelly Ann
· Jacqueline Byers as Natalie Shin
· Keisha Castle-Hughes as Donna Mancini
· Luis Guzman as Gooch
· Luke Wilson as Bill
· Peter Cambor as Milo
· Rafe Spall as Reg Whitehead
· Ron White as Phil
· Tanc Sade as Christopher House

CREW INFORMATION:
· Bryan Burk as EP
· Cameron Crowe as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· J.J. Abrams as EP
· Kathy Lingg as CO-EP
· Winnie Holzman as EP

10 episode first season.

As a poster noted in the Summer Premiere thread, the first episode is available to view now on Showtime Anytime and Youtube:

Old 06-13-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Based on how awesome Almost Famous was I'll definitely be giving this one a shot.
Old 06-26-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Officially premieres tonight on Showtime
Old 06-26-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I was really interested in this cause I'm a big Cameron Crowe fan, but its getting really bad reviews. I'll still give it a shot.
Old 06-26-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

OFF-TOPIC: Imogen Poots is such a lil' cutie, but I bet she had a really tough time in school with that name: Imogen Gay Poots.

EDIT: I found this mildly amusing: if you search for "Imogen Poots" on Bing, you get the part of the results page with her pics and a link to "more images". But if you search for "Imogen Gay Poots", you get the blurred "adults-only" images results... even though there's not even so much as a bikini pic of her online.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 06-26-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved it. Haters be damned.
Old 06-27-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I didn't hate it, but it really didn't do anything for me either.

While I was watching I thought that this was trying hard to take some elements from Almost Famous - not knowing that this was a Cameron Crowe thing until the credits. However, it fell way short.

I think Crowe needs to get his head out of the 70s already. The romanticism of roadies is pretty much lost for the most part in 2016. It just doesn't ring as true today.

And we've already hit too many cliches. The show starts with someone planning to leave, but by the end of episode she realises this is where she should be - ugh. We already have a Ross/Rachel thing going... but one is in a relationship with someone else... the other is a recovering alcoholic banging girls half his age. Ugh.

Last edited by Coral; 06-27-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that didn't do anything for me. I'll give the second episode a shot but if there isn't a grandiose improvement I'll just move on.
Old 06-27-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I planned on recording this one but completely forgot about it. Judging by reactions here, I might not have missed too much. I'll try to catch up with the premiere another time.
Old 06-27-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Someone should tell Crowe that rock is dead and no one cares about this stuff anymore. See HBO's "Vinyl".

(I personally love rock & roll, but am fully aware of it's sharp decline into obsolescence)
Old 06-27-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Someone should tell Crowe that rock is dead and no one cares about this stuff anymore. See HBO's "Vinyl".

(I personally love rock & roll, but am fully aware of it's sharp decline into obsolescence)
You've articulated my opinion perfectly - this show, like Vinyl before it, is like listening to an oldies station on AM radio.
Old 06-28-16, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

If a show is done well, who cares if the masses don't get into it? Some of the best shows out there don't get great ratings because of the subject matter (The Americans first comes to mind).

Now this show hasn't gotten great reviews so it sounds like it will be a one season and done. But I think many of us get sucked into 'what the masses think' sometimes and usually they like crap.
Old 06-28-16, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this should have been a half-hour show. I found it kind of...slight and about halfway through I was looking at the clock.

I like Crowe and Gugino so I'll stick around for more episodes but I can't say I was immediately impressed with this. And this is coming from someone who used to work in the music industry and spent a good amount of time in this world.
Old 06-28-16, 09:41 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Huge Crowe fan but this didn't really do anything for me. As previously stated... a lot of it seemed really cliched.

But Gugino and Poots are two of my favorites and are incredibly good looking. I will stick around for a little.
Old 06-28-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't blown away but after reading the reviews I was expecting the worst and this was far from that - Crowe is in much finer form than he was with Elizabethtown or Aloha.... yes, lots of cliches and overly sappy but I like the cast, I liked a lot of the banter and all the Pearl Jam references and use of Given to Fly were cool for me. If it was on during a busier time of year, I'd probably give it a pass, but as a summer show, I'm in.
Old 07-03-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need one bad show to watch. i did my time with true detective season 2 and now this is my next penance to the universe.

i find the holier than thou music can save the world shtick to be insufferable, and was not impressed with the whole hang a lampshade on the "running scene" thing from the pilot. it is counterbalanced by my primal need to look at imogen poots. a name btw obviously made up, as we all know girls do not poot.

the sole saving grace is magical negro come native american bobby sixkiller from the greatest show ever made, Renegade. any show six degrees of kevin bacon from reno effin raines cannot, by law, be all bad.

i think much like vinyl it will last only a season so i am not getting too attached.

*kisses fingers and holds them out to audience*
Old 07-04-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Second episode was worse than the first. Done with this one.
Old 07-04-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, the second episode wasn't an improvement.

Normally I'd give a series a few more episodes to improve, but I can see where this show is headed and know what they're trying to accomplish... mainly because this is Cameron Crowe paint-by-numbers.

It's a piece of shit. I'm out.
Old 07-04-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to like this show, but I think I am out too. I had a hard time even paying attention to the second episode, it was so dull and the characters are doing nothing for me.
Old 07-05-16, 12:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed, it's not good. But for some reason imma keep tuning in. Maybe it's because I don't have many tv options. Maybes that's the future, maybe we don't get to pick between the best of the best...only from the best of what we have available. But I've not thought it to be too bad, just not engaging or interesting. Come on cameron, shitz too cliche. Get on it!
Old 07-05-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by david12
Agreed, it's not good. But for some reason imma keep tuning in. Maybe it's because I don't have many tv options.
The funny thing is that I've never had as few shows to watch as I do right now, and I still can't justify continuing with Roadies.

Ray Donovan is the only show that's airing now that I'm watching.
Ballers is starting up in a couple weeks, but it's on the bubble... and I'm not too optimistic on Vice Principal - but I'll give it a shot.

I may have to look towards more BBC series. Have been pleased with a bunch of series I've watched so far.
Old 07-05-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mike7162
You've articulated my opinion perfectly - this show, like Vinyl before it, is like listening to an oldies station on AM radio.
Rock is not dead and there are still concerts and roadies.

That being said, this show is awful. The two main characters just aren't believable and kind of a bummer whenever they appear on screen. The actual coverage of the "roadies" is nonexistent as I have no idea two episodes in what they actually do to set up a live gig. You don't see their partying or any of their lives. The most poignant scene of the series so far was when they wake up on the bus the next morning and are passing each other in bathrobes etc.

For some reason, they took the only interesting character, Phil, and fired him in the first episode. What?

As lacking as Vinyl was (and I criticized it for not focusing more on the antics inside a 70's label and instead on some silly plot points), it's better than this show. The opening New York Dolls episode alone surpasses it.
Old 07-05-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by david12
Agreed, it's not good. But for some reason imma keep tuning in. Maybe it's because I don't have many tv options. Maybes that's the future, maybe we don't get to pick between the best of the best...only from the best of what we have available. But I've not thought it to be too bad, just not engaging or interesting. Come on cameron, shitz too cliche. Get on it!
I don't have too many new shows currently airing now, but I am still catching up on some DVRd shows and would also like to start some streaming shows I haven't gotten to yet this summer. I figure life is too short and there is too much good TV out there I could watch rather than hang onto a bad show.
Old 07-06-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didnt even tune in, recorded two eps, saw the bad reviews here and moved on.. Too much tv to catch up on this summer to wade thru crap
Old 07-06-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing that would save this show is if Luke Wilson has a light rig fall on him, Phil comes back, and Carla Gugino sexes it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.