Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Preacher (S1E03) -- "The Possibilities" -- 6/12/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 06:30 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Preacher (S1E03) -- "The Possibilities" -- 6/12/16

An all new episode of AMC's "Preacher" airs Sunday, June 12th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the third episode, "The Possibilities" - written by Chris Kelley and directed by Scott Winant - Jesse explores his newfound power with Cassidy's help. Armed with new information, Tulip tries to convince Jesse to set out for revenge. Critics continue to rave about the series, including Sara Stewart of the New York Post who said, "Hallelujah - it is good" and "'Preacher' will revive your faith in comic-book fare."
Old 06-13-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Preacher (S1E03) -- "The Possibilities" -- 6/12/16

Man, last week I was talking about the TV show slow rolling the plot compared to the comic, but it seems like nothing happened this episode. They did reveal a few things, and maybe I don't fully appreciate that because I remember very basic stuff from the comic, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

I will say that the episode went by quick though, so I wasn't bored. It's just that when it was over I felt like nothing actually happened.

Last edited by wmansir; 06-13-16 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-13-16, 05:57 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Man, last week I was talking about the TV show slow rolling the plot compared to the comic, but it seems like nothing happened this episode. They did reveal a few things, and maybe I don't fully appreciate that because I remember very basic stuff from the comic, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

I will say that the episode went by quick though, so I wasn't bored. It's just that when it was over I felt like nothing actually happened.
After reading so much praise here for Episode 2 compared to Episode 1, I still felt completely underwhelmed. So much so I turned it off with only 10 minutes left. I may give Episode 3 a shot, but it's the last straw for me. If it doesn't hook me, I'm out.

This show is nothing but a series of random events so far, and Tulip is a terrible character played by a terrible actress.
Old 06-13-16, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Snoozer ep compared to 2. Tulip is truly horrible.
Old 06-13-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir

I liked the second episode more than the first, but I had the same feeling after watching this episode. It felt like nothing had happened.
Old 06-13-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last episode was 1 step forward. This one was 2 steps back.

Originally Posted by Matto1020
This show is nothing but a series of random events so far, and Tulip is a terrible character played by a terrible actress.
I have to agree with you. In Agents of Shield she was good. But playing a completely different character. Now shes doing a "southern accent" thats so bad it makes you question if they actually had her audition for this part. Plus now she has short hair and her sexy is gone.
Old 06-13-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also feel Jesse used the word more in one episode than he did the entire comic series.
Old 06-13-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

At least we got the introduction of Herr Starr.
Old 06-13-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Cassidy remains the best part of the show. Just great casting and performance from Gilgun.
Tulip remains the worst part of the show. Just horrible casting and performance from Negga.

I'd imagine I'll repeat the above throughout this series.

I don't think this episode was that bad - a step down from episode 2, but we got some more plot development with the "government" guys. And it was fun watching Jesse use the Word on Cassidy (although i'm getting a little annoyed with the camera angle they use on Jesse when he uses the Word).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-13-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Last episode was 1 step forward. This one was 2 steps back.

I have to agree with you. In Agents of Shield she was good. But playing a completely different character. Now shes doing a "southern accent" thats so bad it makes you question if they actually had her audition for this part. Plus now she has short hair and her sexy is gone.
Tulip's accent is terrible. They would have been better off letting the actress use whatever accent she had on Agents of Shield, even if it wasn't true to the character.

Hollywood continues to butcher accents for productions supposedly set in very specific regions. I'm guessing that AMC wanted her as the female lead by hook or crook.
Old 06-13-16, 05:39 PM
Suspended

I just ordered the 6 books (collections) from amazon, because I have no clue what the fuck is going on.

Please tell me JEH will have a bigger role, main reason we are watching.

Tulip actress is awful and very boring looking. Show comes to a screeching halt when she is involved.
Old 06-13-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Tulip's accent is terrible. They would have been better off letting the actress use whatever accent she had on Agents of Shield, even if it wasn't true to the character.

Hollywood continues to butcher accents for productions supposedly set in very specific regions. I'm guessing that AMC wanted her as the female lead by hook or crook.
I saw "Warcraft" this weekend and she was "The Queen" to Dominic Cooper's "King". I guess they're a package deal, or at least she's sleeping beside him when the agent's call comes in. Cooper, of course, says that has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-13-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by banthafett
Please tell me JEH will have a bigger role, main reason we are watching.
Not a clue. In the books he was a main antagonist for a single story arc later in the series. The tv series has plucked him out of that arc and dropped him into the beginning.
Old 06-13-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
I saw "Warcraft" this weekend and she was "The Queen" to Dominic Cooper's "King". I guess they're a package deal, or at least she's sleeping beside him when the agent's call comes in. Cooper, of course, says that has nothing to do with it.
There it is. Now we know why shes playing Tulip. From her wiki page:

"Negga has been dating actor Dominic Cooper, with whom she lives in London, since 2010."
Old 06-13-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Cooper has been a rising star and several shows wanted him as their lead. It wouldn't surprise me if casting Negga got him to sign on.
Old 06-14-16, 07:13 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Yea... I'm just not into this. It is rather boring. At three episodes I should be hooked by something, and I'm really not. I'm wondering if I should just record the rest of the season and watch it all at once. The way this is playing out really feels like it was structured more like a Netflix binge watching show than a weekly show.
Old 06-14-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea... I'm just not into this. It is rather boring. At three episodes I should be hooked by something, and I'm really not. I'm wondering if I should just record the rest of the season and watch it all at once. The way this is playing out really feels like it was structured more like a Netflix binge watching show than a weekly show.
Probably not a bad idea. They've introduced two or three characters that are key to the plot ("The Saint of Killers", "Herr Starr"), but only with sort of a nod (and certainly not their names). If they're doing this right, all this will be explained ( but not necessarily resolved) before the end of the first season.
Old 06-14-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Negga doing the Southern accent reminds me of that chick in Deathproof doing her accent, with the "Butterfly" spiel to get the lap dance. I forgot that actress' name but she was cute had big hair and a toothy smile.

Also, Negga and Dominic Cooper are both in Warcraft. They're King & Queen.

EDIT - Marcy Harriell is that actress' name.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-14-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-14-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering the period when "Preacher" (The Comics Series) was created, I wouldn't be surprised if the writer and artist didn't model "Tulip" after Patricia Arquette in her "True Romance" role.
Old 06-14-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
Considering the period when "Preacher" (The Comics Series) was created, I wouldn't be surprised if the writer and artist didn't model "Tulip" after Patricia Arquette in her "True Romance" role.
Yeah, I think a little bit. There's always been a bit of a Tarantino influence in Garth Ennis' work. Or, to be fair, I think that Ennis and Tarantino both have a lot of the same influences, since they both emerged as creative forces in the early 90s. I think Ennis even mentioned Reservoir Dogs in the introduction to his Hellblazer Dangerous Habits paperback collection. But even then, Ennis' work had a strong Pulp Fictiony feel even before that movie came out. (Quirky, talkative characters, esplosive and brutal violence.)

True Romance came out in '93 and Preacher debuted in '95, so it's very possible that Alabama was a bit of an influence on Tulip.

In fact, here's a comic cover where the artist, Glenn Fabry, cast Jesse and Tulip as Johnny Depp and Patricia Arquette.

Old 06-14-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was curious how this is doing and found this:

Sunday’s “Preacher” suffered week-to-week losses in adults 18-49 and total viewership.

According to national data posted by Showbuzz, Sunday’s installment of the AMC drama drew a 0.68 adults 18-49 rating and 1.75 million total viewers. The numbers trail the 0.80 and 2.08 million drawn by last week’s episode, which were down from the 0.90 and 2.38 million posted by the series premiere.

This week’s numbers are still solid by cable standards, but “Preacher” supporters will want to see the show stabilize soon.
Old 06-14-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
Tulip actress is awful and very boring looking.
Boring looking? I haven't watched the show enough to say how good or bad Negga is, but she's anything but boring looking IMHO.

I'm still on the premiere, and there is something off about this show. It's too early to judge, but you would think a show based on something as bombastic as the Preacher comics would grab the viewer by the balls and never let go. As it stands I feel no real pull to give this show a shot.

I hope they can pull this together. They seem to have the raw parts for something awesome, but just haven't figured out how to mix them together yet it would seem.
Old 06-14-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
but you would think a show based on something as bombastic as the Preacher comics would grab the viewer by the balls and never let go.
This. I think this slow burn is going to hurt them, ratings wise.
Old 06-14-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Doesn't help that the premiere was two weeks removed from the follow up episode.
Old 06-14-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Tulip is truly horrible.
Yes. I was delighted when Preacher changed his mind about going with her. Every scene she is in drags painfully. Virtually nothing Tulip says is interesting or believable. Whether it is a result of the writing or the acting or most likely the combination of both I don't care...please just go away. And the big problem this creates for me as a viewer is that I simply don't care about the Preacher's hinted at past precisely because Tulip is involved in it...I don't want that part of his character arc filled in because I know this would mean having more Tulip foisted upon me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.