Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scenes that serve no purpose

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-07-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Inspired by Iron Man 2, which I have seen too many times.

Later in IM2, there is a whole scene with Justin Hammer, Rhody, and Rhody's superior officer in a hangar. After seeing it countless times, I still don't understand its purpose or how it advances the story one bit.

It starts with Hammer going crazy at the sight of the Iron Man suit and promises to upgrade the software. Right. He doesn't have the source code and the suit is likely millions of lines of code. It would take him years to even learn what the code does.

Then he goes into a big sales pitch for some guns, culminating with that silly "Ex Wife" missile, at which Rhody says he'll take all of it.

Ok, then what?

It's an utterly pointless scene and a waste of a solid five minutes.

So what movie scene sticks out in your mind as a waste of space?
Old 06-07-16, 01:56 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Scenes that serve no purpose

The tuxedo football scene in "The Room." I was so involved in the story until that point, and it took me right out.
Old 06-07-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan

Later in IM2, there is a whole scene with Justin Hammer, Rhody, and Rhody's superior officer in a hangar. After seeing it countless times, I still don't understand its purpose or how it advances the story one bit.

It starts with Hammer going crazy at the sight of the Iron Man suit and promises to upgrade the software. Right. He doesn't have the source code and the suit is likely millions of lines of code. It would take him years to even learn what the code does.

Then he goes into a big sales pitch for some guns, culminating with that silly "Ex Wife" missile, at which Rhody says he'll take all of it.

Ok, then what?

That scene explains how the War Machine suit has all the weapons that weren't initially on it when Rhodey took it from Stark, it sets up a joke (the ex-wife missle being a dud in the battle) plus its the only scene where you get to see Hammer doing his thing as Stark's competitor.
Old 06-07-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Matrix Reloaded - Zion rave scene
Old 06-07-16, 02:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
That scene explains how the War Machine suit has all the weapons that weren't initially on it when Rhodey took it from Stark, it sets up a joke (the ex-wife missle being a dud in the battle) plus its the only scene where you get to see Hammer doing his thing as Stark's competitor.
Perfectly fine scene. Worst example to start a thread ever. Traxan wins today!
Old 06-07-16, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
The tuxedo football scene in "The Room." I was so involved in the story until that point, and it took me right out.
You mean Denny's death scene?? That's a critical moment! It foreshadows Tommy's fate at the end of the film. I don't think you appreciate the Shakespearean scope of The Room.

Spoiler:
I was planning on posting that every scene in The Room serves no purpose.

It also explains how Whiplash has control of the suit in the third act. The scene is overlong but not needless.
Old 06-07-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I walked out of the theater during what felt like the 40 minute part of that scene.
Old 06-07-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I always viewed that scene as Humanity vibing as a collective and being, well, Human.
Old 06-07-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I always viewed that scene as Humanity vibing as a collective and being, well, Human.
I was going to post the same thing. It's a ham-fisted, annoying and ineffective attempt to portraying humanity but it does serve a tangible purpose.

This thread is gonna quickly turn into people just listing moments in movies they don't like.
Old 06-07-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

I liked the rave scene / sex scene in Matrix Reloaded. Humanity, fuck yeah!

My vote is for Aragorn falling off a cliff in Lord of the Rings. Maybe he's dead? Nope. And it doesn't affect anything else that happens.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 06-07-16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Three words:

Batman In China.
Old 06-07-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Batman v Superman - Wonder Woman looking through the "Justice League" files (Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg). I totally get why they did it - "Look, kids! The JLA! Coming soon to a theater near you!". But the way it's introduced is so clumsy in the context of the scene (Bats discovers that WW is older than dirt). It's the only time that I was completely taken out of the movie (I enjoyed BvS).

If anything, they should have saved it for after
Spoiler:
Superman's death.
Batman could have said "I have an idea. Here are some candidates." Cut to credits.
Old 06-07-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Just for fun, I'll argue the fast-motion sex scene in A Clockwork Orange serves no purpose. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. We've seen Alex being charismatic, we've seen the reverence he has for music, and we've seen his sexual appetite.

There is a symmetry to the structure of A Clockwork Orange, in which the people Alex encounters in the first part of the movie return in the last half, only the balance of power is no longer in Alex's favour. The bum, his parents, his former droogs, the writer. The two girls never come back, because--well, why should they? He didn't harm them, they just got together for some consensual sex. In the book, there is a scene where Alex leeches after a couple of 12 year olds (I can't remember if he is successful in bedding them or not) but in the movie they appear to be the same age as Alex, just a couple of fun time girls.

If that scene was removed from the movie, we wouldn't lose any information about the character, it wouldn't hurt the story plot-wise or thematically. Other than being an excuse for Kubrick to shoot naked people, it serves no purpose.
Old 06-07-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Just for fun, I'll argue the fast-motion sex scene in A Clockwork Orange serves no purpose. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. We've seen Alex being charismatic, we've seen the reverence he has for music, and we've seen his sexual appetite.

There is a symmetry to the structure of A Clockwork Orange, in which the people Alex encounters in the first part of the movie return in the last half, only the balance of power is no longer in Alex's favour. The bum, his parents, his former droogs, the writer. The two girls never come back, because--well, why should they? He didn't harm them, they just got together for some consensual sex. In the book, there is a scene where Alex leeches after a couple of 12 year olds (I can't remember if he is successful in bedding them or not) but in the movie they appear to be the same age as Alex, just a couple of fun time girls.

If that scene was removed from the movie, we wouldn't lose any information about the character, it wouldn't hurt the story plot-wise or thematically. Other than being an excuse for Kubrick to shoot naked people, it serves no purpose.
What about this scene makes you uncomfortable?
Old 06-07-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Huh. No kidding.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-07-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A significant number of scenes in The Limits of Control.
Old 06-07-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

As already mentioned, "The Room" immediately comes to mind. There are so many pointless scenes it's simply mind-boggling.

One scene that had me scratching my head was when Johnny and Mark go to a coffee shop.
We first get to witness 2 couples (ie. extras) order their coffee/desert at the counter for some inexplicable reason... before Johnny/Mark put in their order. And then after Mark makes a quick comment about being tired of women/relationships, this brilliant exchange of dialogue ensues:

Mark: How was work today?
Johnny: Oh, pretty good. We got a new client, and the bank will make a lot of money.
Mark: What client?
Johnny: I cannot tell you. It's confidential.
Mark: Aw, come on. Why not?
Johnny: No, I can't. Anyway, how's your sex life?
Mark: I can't talk about it.
Johnny: Why not? Oh, God, I have to run.
Mark: Already?
Johnny: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Mark: It's on me
Johnny: See you, Mark.
Mark: You wanna go jogging?
Johnny: Sure. What time?
Mark: Golden Gate Park, 6:30.
Johnny: Right on.
Mark: See ya.
Johhny: Okey dokey, pal.

Watching the extras put in their order lasted almost as long as that conversation - and was just as relevant to the story.
Old 06-07-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Batman v Superman - Wonder Woman looking through the "Justice League" files (Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg). I totally get why they did it - "Look, kids! The JLA! Coming soon to a theater near you!". But the way it's introduced is so clumsy in the context of the scene (Bats discovers that WW is older than dirt). It's the only time that I was completely taken out of the movie (I enjoyed BvS).

If anything, they should have saved it for after
Spoiler:
Superman's death.
Batman could have said "I have an idea. Here are some candidates." Cut to credits.
I posted this in the review thread, but putting that near the credits or post credits would weaken the ending immensely. As it stands as the film ends you are walking out of the theater thinking about
Spoiler:
Superman's death and sacrfice.

If you put the Justice League stuff after that scene then you are leaving the theater thinking about Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Justice League. All of a sudden Superman is an afterthought.
Old 06-07-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What about this scene makes you uncomfortable?
Does this scene make people feel uncomfortable? It's very light and comedic in tone. I think it's way at the bottom of the list of uncomfortable scenes in A Clockwork Orange.

I'm not saying it isn't a good scene, only that a strong argument can be made that it serves no purpose in the overall film.
Old 06-07-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
All of a sudden Superman is an afterthought.
How did you get inside Snyder's head??
Old 06-08-16, 04:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Fast-forwarded through that the last time we watched Reloaded, didn't feel we missed anything of importance. I remember the first couple of times we watched it, the first time I didn't know any better, the second time I told my wife 'next time we watch this I'm fast-forwarding through this rave crap', got no argument from her.
Old 06-08-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan

Ok, then what?

I think the argument could be made that no scenes in Iron Man 2 serve a purpose.
Old 06-08-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And yet during that part I was hoping for the machines to show up and wipe everyone out.
Old 06-08-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Some could say that this scene adds nothing to the movie's overall plot:

But, it adds so much to the overall tone to the film.
Old 06-08-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Three words:

Batman In China.
From The Dark Knight? Or was there a scene with him in China in BVS (didn't see it yet)?

If you're talking about TDK it makes sense. It shows that you can run from the law but you can't run from the vigilante. That leads the mob to get desperate and turn to The Joker which sets in motion the rest of the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.