Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mute (2018, D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel" -- S: Skarsgård, Rudd, Theroux

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-02-16, 09:59 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

This is an older article:

Fans of British director (and David Bowie spawn) Duncan Jones have been patiently awaiting a follow up film to Moon, the filmmakers’ grim 2009 debut for, well, you can do basic math. But Jones himself has been directing large budget features, including 2011’s Source Code, which was way better than it needed to be, and, now, Warcraft, which will divide audiences next year. (Note: the 2016 film is actually based on Warcraft I: Orcs & Humans, the original PC game, as opposed to the MMORPG World of Warcraft.)

It seems Jones has had a trilogy in mind for Moon and two subsequent films before the Sam Rockwell space romp was even released, but he hasn’t been granted the budget to continue. Though Moon concerned a solo mission in outer space, Mute follows a wordless bartender in a futuristic Berlin. Jones himself has promised a setting reminiscent of Blade Runner.

In 2013, Dark Horse Comics announced it would be publishing Jones’ concept art for Mute, the film he intended to make after Moon. Jones assumedly intended to use the graphic novel as pitching material to studios, but when he failed to get a bite, he directed Source Code instead.

Even Source Code was clearly crafted by a smart sci fi director, though it starred Jake Gyllenhaal and experimented on a much smaller scale than Mute promises to. The reveal of Gyllenhaal’s torso toward the end of the film packed the same emotional punch as Sam Rockwell realizing the truth in Moon. Jones has already demonstrated his ability to render heartbreaking human stories in unwieldy, high-tech, and implausible environments. The trailer for Warcraft doesn’t exactly look like art, but with Jones at the helm, the film is more likely to have real emotion at its core.

Jones has reportedly begun pre-production on Mute, though the film hinges its start on whether Warcraft makes enough money at the box office. Alexander Skarsgard, still searching for something to do post-True Blood, is rumored to be playing the lead. In a strange turn of events, fans of intellectually hard sci-fi may have to trot out to theaters to see Warcraft, which looks like a ridiculous fantasy cash-grab vehicle, if they want more of the artistry Duncan Jones promised us back in 2009.
https://www.inverse.com/article/8935...after-warcraft

This is more recent:

You’ve kept your passion for “Warcraft” going, but it does seem to have gotten in the way of making “Mute,” another passion project for you. How are you keep your momentum going for that film?

I think it’s a personality type. I think you have to be the kind of person who is like a dog with a bone. You can’t let go of things until you’ve seen them through to completion. Not everyone has got that kind of mindset. Maybe it’s not the healthiest mindset, because you do kind of have to be dogged about things, but I wanted to see “Warcraft” through, and I wanted it to be the best film that I knew that we could make. I’ve always wanted to make “Mute,” and I’ve been on “Mute” for about 14 years. I’m determined, no matter what happens, I’m going to get that movie made, at some point.

Would you say that you’re closer than ever to getting it made?

Yeah. Absolutely, 100%. I wish I could formally say, “Yes, it’s happening,” but there are contractual reasons I have to wait until the absolute yes-I’m-allowed-to-say-that date, but as far as I’m concerned, yes. I’m going to be shooting that film later this year.

The film takes place in the “Moon” universe, right?

Yeah, in the Moon-iverse.

You originally wanted to do a trilogy, do you hope to do your next Moon-iverse film after “Mute”?

Yes. In fact, it’s already written. It’s ready to go. I was trying to make it after “Source Code.” It’s a female lead, and at that time, four of five years ago, it was just proving really difficult to get the film made, this science fiction film with a female lead.

It feels like it’s going to be easier these days. I think there’s more of a willingness for that to happen, and I certainly think it’s about time, but Mute’s kind of happening now, so I’m going to do that, and then, with any luck, I’ll be able to get this other film made that will make up the third part of that trilogy, as soon as possible.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/dun...ew-1201682897/
Old 06-02-16, 10:47 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Mute (D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel"

That'd be awesome. "Moon" is a masterpiece.
Old 06-02-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Old 06-02-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Now this I'm down for.
Old 01-06-17, 08:25 AM

Duncan Jones has traveled to the lunar landscape with Moon and the fantasy world of Azeroth with Warcraft, but for his next project, he’s turning his eye to futuristic Berlin.

For years, the director has talked about wanting to make his sci-fi thriller Mute, and now the project is finally coming to life. EW has an exclusive look at the first three images from the film, introducing Alexander Skarsgård as the tight-lipped protagonist and Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux as two sketchy surgeons.

Set in Berlin in 2052, Mute follows a bartender named Leo (Skarsgård) who lost the ability to speak after a childhood accident. After his beloved girlfriend Naadirah (played by Seyneb Saleh) unexpectedly disappears, he sets out on a noir-ish quest to find her, diving deep into the city’s seedy, neon underworld. (Jones has said before that his futuristic version of Berlin draws influence from both Blade Runner and Casablanca.)

The only recurring clue that Leo finds is a pair of wise-cracking American surgeons: Rudd, wearing a hell of a mustache, and Theroux, wearing a hell of a wig.

Jones co-wrote the script with Michael Robert Johnson (Sherlock Holmes), and he’s said in the past that Mute is somehow connected to his 2009 debut film Moon, which stars Sam Rockwell as a man working as a solitary miner on the Earth’s moon.

Netflix signed on to distribute Mute last year, and it’s expected to hit the streaming service later in 2017.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/06/alex...te-first-look/
Old 01-06-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Mute (2018, D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel" -- S: Skarsgård, Rudd, Theroux

oh yes. I'm down for this
Old 01-06-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts
re: Mute (2018, D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel" -- S: Skarsgård, Rudd, Theroux

Guess it's a good thing, for him, Warcraft was big overseas.
Old 01-06-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

That is one hell of a mustache.

Oh yeah, almost forgot ... I am very excited to hear about this!
Old 01-06-17, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm more excited for this than I am for the Blade Runner sequel.
Old 01-06-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Excellent. Moon was superb, this is a must-see.
Old 01-06-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now we're talking.
Old 01-06-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or not talking.
Old 01-06-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Is this his "spiritual sequel to Blade Runner"? I remember hearing him say that pre-Source Code. And I thought Source Code was going to be that movie. And then it wasn't. Is THIS the movie he was talking about? I feels like it's been 5+ years since I read that. And now we're getting a "real" sequel to Blade Runner.

That reminds me - Gore Verbinski has a new movie coming out that looks like his salvaged vision from the stalled Bioshock project. Maybe I'll make a thread about that one.
Old 01-06-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Is this his "spiritual sequel to Blade Runner"? I remember hearing him say that pre-Source Code. And I thought Source Code was going to be that movie. And then it wasn't. Is THIS the movie he was talking about? I feels like it's been 5+ years since I read that. And now we're getting a "real" sequel to Blade Runner.

That reminds me - Gore Verbinski has a new movie coming out that looks like his salvaged vision from the stalled Bioshock project. Maybe I'll make a thread about that one.

Moon was supposed to be that spiritual "side-quel." Moon took place in space while the stuff in Bladerunner took place on Earth. Mute continues this but in Berlin.

David Peoples, who wrote Soldier (the Paul WS Anderson flick with Kurt Russell) said that that was also a side-quel that took place in the Bladerunner world - in the off world colonies.

Unrelated films but still supposedly taking place in the same universe.
Old 01-07-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Moon was supposed to be that spiritual "side-quel." Moon took place in space while the stuff in Bladerunner took place on Earth. Mute continues this but in Berlin.

David Peoples, who wrote Soldier (the Paul WS Anderson flick with Kurt Russell) said that that was also a side-quel that took place in the Bladerunner world - in the off world colonies.

Unrelated films but still supposedly taking place in the same universe.
Like Alien and Prometheus.

How are Moon and Blade Runner supposed to be in the same universe? The character was specifically a clone, not a replicant. In Blade Runner there is no mention of clones.
Old 01-09-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
How are Moon and Blade Runner supposed to be in the same universe? The character was specifically a clone, not a replicant. In Blade Runner there is no mention of clones.
The existence of one does not negate the existence of another. Clones could easily exist in the BR universe, we just simply haven't heard about them in a context that would differentiate them from replicants.

Not that it really matters. I don't mind the thought of Moon being a "sidequel" or whatever, but in the end it's altogether meaningless.
Old 01-09-17, 06:29 PM

Interesting currency.

Old 01-09-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Not that it really matters. I don't mind the thought of Moon being a "sidequel" or whatever, but in the end it's altogether meaningless.
Yep. His exact words were "spiritual sequel". It wasn't Moon. It was definitely after Moon, because I already knew his name. Bleh. Maybe one of you guys can find the old article. Before Source Code was revealed, I thought he was working on "that" movie. And then it was nothing like that and I was a bit confused.

And a "spiritual sequel" is just a "movie inspired by". It has no real connection. Anyways, I was still looking to a gorgeous futuristic story with the jazz and noir vibes. I would so take THAT film anyday. But now we get Blade Runner 2049 (complete with Denis Villeneuve) and now this coming.
Old 01-09-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The existence of one does not negate the existence of another. Clones could easily exist in the BR universe, we just simply haven't heard about them in a context that would differentiate them from replicants.

It reeks of some artistic douchebaggery, but I am am just going to shut up and enjoy the ride. Forget I said anything. I am looking forward to this!
Old 01-10-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Netflix has already started promoted the hell out of this on Twitter.
Old 01-10-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So this is going to be a Netflix movie? That's awesome. I thought this was getting a theatrical release.
Old 01-11-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Comes out next month: http://www.darkhorizons.com/duncan-j...it-next-month/
Old 01-19-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Feb 23rd release date
Old 01-19-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mute (2018, D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel" -- S: Skarsgård, Rudd, Theroux

February is gonna be sci-fi month on Netflix, because Altered Carbon series premieres in Feb, as well.
Old 01-21-18, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mute (2018, D: Duncan Jones) -- Moon "sequel" -- S: Skarsgård, Rudd, Theroux

Oh, I'm down for this!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.