Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation (FOX) -- Season 13 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:20 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation (FOX) -- Season 13 Thread

**SEASON PREMIERE**--"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" - (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

IT'S THE NEXT GENERATION!

AMERICA'S BEST YOUNG DANCERS FIGHT FOR THEIR CHANCE AT STARDOM ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" MONDAY, MAY 30, ON FOX

The Emmy Award-winning dance competition show returns with an all-new format! After twelve seasons showcasing the most talented dancers in the nation, it's time to see what America's youngest dancers can do. Season Thirteen will feature the best of the best from ages eight to thirteen and as the competition heats up, each dancer will work alongside an All-Star favorite from the past. See which young dancers have what it takes to become America's Favorite Dancer in the all-new "The Next Generation: Auditions #1" season premiere episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airing Monday, May 30 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (DAN-1301) (TV- PG D, L)

Host: Cat Deeley

Judges: Nigel Lythgoe; Paula Abdul; Jason Derulo

Read more: Listings - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz4AFNBT8KL
Old 05-31-16, 10:36 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation (FOX) -- Season 13 Thread

crying whinging kids

hmmm
Old 05-31-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

They laid out a lot of the rules last night, but there are still a lot of questions about how this will work.

Much like last year's format (which I didn't care for), I understand the network forced this format on the producers if they wanted the show to continue. I'm disappointed, and I wonder if the routines will be even more limited because of the age of the dancers (Instead of heroin, they'll be portraying addiction to their cell phones, bullying instead of bad break-ups).

I sort of drifted away from the television in the middle of this, and then came back later to "re-wind" and check out the bits that caught my eye.
Old 05-31-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize this was the theme of the show this season. It will now be a show that I save to watch with my 6-year old daughter, who loves dancing and is obsessed with kids cooking competition shows.
Old 05-31-16, 03:27 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the kids will be dancing with the all-stars, how is that going to work for ballroom routines? Like that 10 year old ballroom boy is going to be a good foot and a half shorter than an adult woman in heels.
Old 05-31-16, 04:51 PM

It's now going to be a show that Pedos will watch
Old 05-31-16, 04:54 PM

and not sure how much fawning over cuteness from the judges i can take
Old 05-31-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

My wife and I loved this show. Probably our favorite competition show. We gave it up after this format change. No way.
Old 05-31-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I didn't realize this was the theme of the show this season. It will now be a show that I save to watch with my 6-year old daughter, who loves dancing and is obsessed with kids cooking competition shows.
Apparently the "Kid Versions" do well, -I guess they freshen the format, -and that's why they're trying this.
Old 06-01-16, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for So You Think You Can Dance: Deep Space Nine.
Old 06-01-16, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mnementh
I can't wait for So You Think You Can Dance: Deep Space Nine.
Old 06-01-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I had no interest in this show after the format change, but it turns out that I have a friend whose son is supposed to appear this season. He showed up in one of the promos. I fast forwarded through the first episode and didn't see him. I at least want to see him perform, but I can't see myself watching the full season.
Old 06-01-16, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
My wife and I loved this show. Probably our favorite competition show. We gave it up after this format change. No way.
Same here, Josh. Only dance show I would watch. Not anymore.
Old 06-01-16, 11:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
Apparently the "Kid Versions" do well, -I guess they freshen the format, -and that's why they're trying this.
I suppose they were in a bind since they have already done All-Stars and they can't really do a Celebrity version because that would be too similar to Dancing with the Stars.
Old 06-21-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No surprise, but this is just dying in the ratings.

The auditions are over and we're now at "The Academy" stage, where over two weeks the All-Stars will cull the herd of contestants and each choose one to perform with for the rest of the season. Unlike the "Vegas" episodes of the regular version, this cut out most of the dance and almost all of the stress. It was very perfunctory and dry, save for the tears of those not chosen.

I'll stick with this for now, because it's a good group of All-Stars, and I'd like to see what they do with the situation and what the choreographers come up with. So far, though, they've made it hard to invest in.
Old 07-12-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, the opening "Performance" episode tanked (and most everything else all night was down).

However, it was not as bad as I had expected. They made the best of it and there were several nice routines. Too many interviews with the kids, though - they were going for precocious but it just got tiresome for this non-parent. I would like to see the contestants have to try other styles, but I don't know if that's in the cards (sticking to just their chosen style might limit them in the voting process). I'm glad to see the show doing more "Ballroom" but that creates two problems, -one of mis-matched heights, and also "appropriateness", -in particular, Latin dances and costumes can be a little too "flirty" for under-age girls dancing with older "All-Stars".
Old 07-13-16, 10:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I've been giving it a shot... while it's not as horrible as I feared, it still has problems. I agree with everything DWilson said above. I think they should have went with a 'Juniors' approach instead of 'kids' and made the age range 13-17 instead of 8-13... this would have at least solved some of the issues.

Originally Posted by DWilson
I would like to see the contestants have to try other styles, but I don't know if that's in the cards (sticking to just their chosen style might limit them in the voting process).
If so, I feel bad for the tap girl because that style gets old pretty quickly... at least for me.