Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Listings in Windows Media Center (Win7/8.1)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I am one of those holdouts who hasn't moved up to Windows 10 yet, primarily because I use my computer, Windows Media Center, and two Haupauge tuners to record my shows. It seems that, as of Monday, Windows Media Center guide no longer has listing, which screws up setting recordings (unless I set them manually). Is anyone else in my shoes on this? If you moved to Windows 10, what are you using as an alternative to Windows Media Center?
Old 05-28-16, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: TV Listings in Windows Media Center (Win7/8.1)

Use Kodi (and upgrade to Win10 when you still can for free).
Old 05-28-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still using Win7 for my HTPC so that I can keep using WMC as well. Most people who recommend using Kodi think of WMC as a media playback portal. But we're (N2DVD and I) talking about PVR functionality. Traditionally, Kodi (and XBMC before that) weren't the solution. Admittedly, I don't check developments on a daily basis, but it never had integrated wide support for PVR'ing like WMC, instead depending on a variety of back ends to provide PVR support. Those back ends were usually pale imitations of WMC, and often required purchasing TV guide listings among other issues.

Anyway, Kodi with some back end (NextPVR?) is certainly worth looking into. I check every now and then (maybe once every 3 months or so) because it's holding me back from upgrading to Win10 as well on a few machines (both the core machine but also NUC's that are playback machines). There are sites and forums dedicated to WMC and I'd expect the most up to date information there. One such is The Green Button.

As for WMC TV Guide, I'd check your event viewer to see what's going on. There are many threads across the internet about WMC's TV Guide not updating, especially since MS basically killed off WMC. There are various fixes to try, but they may vary by area. My WMC Guide is current through 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday June 7, 2016.
Old 05-28-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I upgraded to Win10 for free and at first I enjoyed it, but now I regret it. Just about every two weeks Windows pushes out a mandatory update (you don't have control of Windows Updates anymore) that seems to completely destroy the OS to the point it doesn't boot up. System restore won't even work because it'll give an error about the hard drive being locked and thus the only solution is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows 10. I've had to do this on three different occasions in the past 2 months and reading up about it, seems A LOT of people are experiencing the same issues.
Old 05-29-16, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

What? There's nothing wrong with Win10 and you can defer upgrades on Win10 Pro if you want. A very solid OS. If you really want there is even a hack to get WMC working on it (very easy).

Yes, I highly recommend NextPVR. It's really good and quite easy to use, and there are plenty of other free PVR suites to try if that doesn't suit your liking.
Old 05-29-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

My WMC guide goes through June 8. I did have a problem recently where my guide data was not updating and I didn't realize it. For some reason, Windows scheduled tasks were messed up and not running. A reboot fixed it though and the guide has been fine since. Even a manual guide update wouldn't work until I rebooted. So check out your scheduled tasks.

If you want more in depth help, you should go to http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/.

There is an alternative guide called EPG123. It is supposed to have much better guide data than what is currently sent from MS. You can read how to set it up on thegreenbutton.
Old 06-01-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My ongoing experiment continues. I could never get my WMC EPG to come up, so I ran a program called EPG123, and was able to restore my listings. However, I am continuing to look for an alternate PVR program in advance of moving to Windows 10. Right now, I am running NextPVR, which I have been impressed with so far. I tried to install MediaPortal, but that kept failing during installation.