Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Arrow (S4E23) -- Season Finale -- "Schism" -- 5/25/16

WEDNESDAY, MAY 25

SEASON FINALE

ARROW

"Schism" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

OLIVER TEAMS UP WITH A SURPRISING FORCE TO STOP DAMIEN DARHK - Oliver (Stephen Amell) teams up with a surprising force in an attempt to stop Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) and his magic once and for all. John Behring directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and teleplay by Wendy Mericle and Marc Guggenheim (#423). Original airdate 5/25/2016.

Will return for a 5th season this Fall.
Old 05-25-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Arrow (S4E23) -- Season Finale -- "Schism" -- 5/25/16

I think the showrunner needs to nuke this show and rebuild it in a bubble beneath the surface of the earth
Old 05-25-16, 09:46 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Such ridiculousness. I don't even know where to begin, with the slow motion nukes or how the strength of Darhk and Oliver's magical powers would inexplicably vary from one scene to the next...
Old 05-25-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Wow this show is bad. How do we petition to get this back to the quality of season 1 and 2?
Old 05-26-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Well, I just watched the finale and have mixed feelings about it.

On the plus side, there was no major cliffhanger and it feels like the show is doing a complete reset next season. Oliver is now the Mayor, Team Arrow is dismantled, Captain Lance and Mama Smoak left the city.

And the downside, that was a terrible end to the Damien Dahrk arc. I mean really? It all ends in a big street brawl and Oliver stabs Dahrk with an Arrow. Felicity saves the day at the computer, nuclear apocalypse averted. That street brawl was just terrible and super corny. Same goes with Oliver's big speech that inspired everyone.

I think this arc was way too ambitious for the Arrow writers and they simply didn't know how to end it where it would have any kind of good payoff.

I'll still be back for season 5 since they're doing a reset, but this was probably the worst season of the 4. The show needs to go back to Oliver being a vigilante and stopping Star City's worst criminals. Less is more.
Old 05-26-16, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

"Arrow: The Dark Knight Rises"
Old 05-26-16, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I actually thought the first half of season four was a minor return to form for Arrow, but these final episodes were a complete wreck after Laurel's death. The writers clearly don't have concrete ideas for next season and left this finale in a place where several characters may not return anytime soon.

Some people now call this show Felicity and Friends. She's become a more important character than Oliver. I didn't sign up to see Felicity beat villains with her superhacking. That whole scene with her ex-boyfriend sitting in front of computers as Dahrk supposedly had a bullet in his heart or something was the dumbest moment of this entire series.
Old 05-26-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Every season of ARROW ends in street Brawl.

They need to find another bag tricks.
Old 05-26-16, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I wish Felicity would go away. Funny because last season I liked her, but this season I hated her.

They got rid of Laurel about the time I finally started to like her.

It's nice to see Speedy and Diggle leave, but I feel like they'll be back early next season.

Curtis should take over for Felicity, and let Ollie handle the normal villains like that of season 1. Show needs to forget about super powered and/or magic utilizing villains.
Old 05-26-16, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Something felt off. A bit of a huge bomb that ended up as a firecracker. He did tap into the other idol however it does seem this entire storyline and villain was out of Green Arrows league unless they did something like they did. An entire season is also far too long for how it turned out. Half a season would have been more than long enough. I really prefer when shows break it up and have two main story lines per season.
Old 05-26-16, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this sums up most people's thoughts
Old 05-26-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I wish Felicity would go away. Funny because last season I liked her, but this season I hated her.

They got rid of Laurel about the time I finally started to like her.

It's nice to see Speedy and Diggle leave, but I feel like they'll be back early next season.

Curtis should take over for Felicity, and let Ollie handle the normal villains like that of season 1. Show needs to forget about super powered and/or magic utilizing villains.
Apparently Stephen Amell would like to go back to a more basic, non-"super-powers" "Arrow". "Curtis" will be a regular next season. I wish we'd actually gotten the wise, loving "Laurel" that everyone remembers (though we didn't spend enough time with her to see this aspect of the character). Much like LOT, "Arrow" would have been better in "arcs" with different villains than hanging everything on one. I don't know if that's budget or just something the producers believe works for them.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-26-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

The season was so bad, even the regulars wanted to leave fast off this sinking ship of shit.
Old 05-26-16, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Wow this show is bad. How do we petition to get this back to the quality of season 2?
They need to go back to what made this show great

Either as a good guy or a bad guy, they threw out a reminder he was still alive, if I can't get my dream scenario of a Flashpoint reset where he's the Green Arrow he at least needs to be a bad in season 5.
Old 05-26-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Berlanti has spread his staff of knowledgeable comic book people too thin now that he's producing four DC shows.

Arrow got stuck in a rut with the same plodding formula the past two seasons. Season-long villain's minion does something, Team Arrow has to visit some warehouse and duke it out as a team. The flashbacks have been complete nonsense since Deathstroke left the show. Go back and watch an episode from the past two seasons skipping over the flashbacks. It's how I've been doing it and the episodes are infinitely better.

They need to get Malcolm off the show and make Thea stand apart from him.
Old 05-26-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah at this point the flashbacks of island time need to end. He was only there for 5 years and we've had 4 seasons of flashbacks there. So if they do continue them, it shouldn't continue past next season... either way it really feels like they've ran out of shit to do in the flashbacks and now just add them as filler to hit the timespan needed for a full episode because there wasn't enough 'now' to tell.

I agree Malcolm needs to die/vanish. He's overstayed his welcome.

I also agree that we either need shorter seasons, or we need shorter story arcs. This whole 23 episodes for one story arc just goes on way too long and they add way too much filler to make it last that it just becomes tedious and repetitive. How many times did Darhk overwhelm them this season, only to let them go to fight another day? The whole Darhk plot should have been over in the first half of the season; even with all those LOT buildup/promotion episodes there and the whole 15k nukes thing was just ridiculously way over the top. The governments should have stepped in more than just Argus. That's not really something that Team Arrow should be tackling in my opinion.
Old 05-26-16, 04:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Speedy needs to go.
Malcolm needs to go.
Diggle needs a new fucking helmet.
Diggle's wife needs to go.
Flashbacks need to go.
Arrow needs a super-healing superpower, or super quickness, or super vision, or super fucking something.
Felicity needs to get back will Oliver or just fucking leave already beeotch.
Old 05-26-16, 04:59 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The flashbacks aren't going away. It seems that next season's will have Oliver in Russia. We know he has a history with Russian mafia, so it'll likely deal with that.
Old 05-26-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
They need to go back to what made this show great

Either as a good guy or a bad guy, they threw out a reminder he was still alive, if I can't get my dream scenario of a Flashpoint reset where he's the Green Arrow he at least needs to be a bad in season 5.
Except with these writers he'll be infatuated with Felicity, and it will turn into a love triangle between her, Slade, and Oliver.
Old 05-27-16, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Speedy needs to go.
Malcolm needs to go.
Flashbacks need to go.
Arrow needs a super-healing superpower, or super quickness, or super vision, or super fucking something.
Even though I have no issue with those characters it likely would not hurt if they cut it back a bit.
Old 05-27-16, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I think they're contractually bound to end every season with some sort of mob bullshit to give local extras some chances for SAG cards.
Old 05-27-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, as I feared the flashbacks were pointless. The Flash finale was far better than this Arrow garbage. They really should let the time change on Flash reset this show back to S1. Even Merlin was tolerable when he would only show up a couple times as The Magician. Thea and Laurel were fun when they only appeared in a scene or two every few episodes.
Old 05-27-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Speedy needs to go.
Malcolm needs to go.
Flashbacks need to go.
I agree with this except the superpowers bit. Team Arrow has never really worked. It should be stripped down to just Oliver and Diggle. At this point Felicity has become annoying. We need less of her, wayy less.
Old 05-27-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll still question making Thea a primary character. She was practically a token character the first couple of years and they decided to turn her into a superhero. That was a disastrous decision by the showrunners with far-reaching consequences for the entire Arrow formula. It was even more damaging than killing off Sara.
Old 05-27-16, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I couldn't even make sense of what was going on this episode.

It's already known that Curtis will become a regular next season. Who knows if having him don spandex as Mr. Terrific will even help at this point...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.