Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

"THE BLACKLIST"

"ALEXANDER KIRK: CONCLUSION" ORIGINAL

05/19/2016 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Thursday) : As Reddington (James Spader) and the task force close in on the person responsible for Liz's death, a shocking betrayal leaves them racing to save one of their own. TV-14 V

Will return this Fall to NBC

An 8-episode spinoff called "The Blacklist: Redemption" was greenlit by NBC and will air midseason next season. Most likely it will be a bridge during The Blacklist's midseason hiatus.

and Elizabeth Keen is still dead.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-19-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 03:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
re: The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

Can't wait! (... and please keep Liz dead!)
Old 05-19-16, 08:50 PM

re: The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

Edit to add: Okay, I've calmed down now. There's the set up for Season 3 Season 4. Knew it was inevitable, but I'm wondering what Tom's motivation is going to be for joining Scottie mid-season. In the end, I did like the ep and the finale. Kate Cochran has a huge pair on her.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-19-16 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

^ Think you mean season 4, right?
Old 05-19-16, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by windom
^ Think you mean season 4, right?
You're right... I thought that but the DJariya has S2E23 in the title and I got confused. Oops.
Old 05-19-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
You're right... I thought that but the DJariya has S2E23 in the title and I got confused. Oops.

D'oh

My bad. I sent a message to the mod to fix it.

Surprised no one noticed over 10 hours after I posted this.
Old 05-20-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

And she's resurrected.

For a second, I almost thought Red was going to kill Mr. Kaplan for hiding Liz from him. Red looked pissed.

The Kirk reveal that he was Liz's father wasn't really that shocking.

Kirk probably has Tom locked up somewhere. Curious to how they will segue Tom to the spinoff next year.
Old 05-20-16, 11:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I figured that Kaplan had faked Liz's death and why when it happened, but I didn't guess at all that Tom knew about it.
Old 05-20-16, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as well to see how they do the spin off with Tom. Not sure how the shows will be timed but we could have seen the set up for the spin off with Tom getting out of whatever situation he is in and going to Scottie for help,. Then when it is resolved we pick it up on the Blacklist. Maybe all the CW DC shows have tainted how I look at spinoffs and how they can potentially tie together : ) Either way solid episode with each character getting their moment.
Old 05-20-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

I thought it was decent, but knowing that Tom survives for the spin-off made it lose some of the suspense. And then of course they aren't going to bring Liz back just to kill her again.
Old 05-21-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Alexander Kirk: Conclusion" -- 5/19/16

Yes! Knew Liz was still alive, but that wasn't hard to guess. But had no idea she would be back again in the finale. Thought we had wait until next season.

Overall, excellent season after the terrible 2nd season.
Old 05-21-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Season three was definitely a strong rebound from the abysmal season two. I did like the first half more as the baby drama didn't fully work for a show like this one, but I guess you play the cards you've been dealt.
Old 05-21-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I thought it was decent, but knowing that Tom survives for the spin-off made it lose some of the suspense. And then of course they aren't going to bring Liz back just to kill her again.
Exactly why in many ways posting news bits, especially about other series, is basically a spoiler equal to posting Tom lives!. Not everybody goes looking for this stuff for exactly that reason.

I was shocked they brought her back before next season. They took away a lot of the weight those episodes had and they rendered them basically moot other than the explaining they will have to do now. And now having just read an article in EW (that had spoiler warnings) they didn't mention Boone wanting to take a break or anything . Leaving this all just being a planed plot point.

And hopefully, unlike shows like Lost, they actually have some good explanation ready to give for why this guy is her dad and why al the stuff (about Liz and Red's past) we have seen up to now makes sense.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-21-16 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Red's criticism of Aram (like a boy with his first erection on the school bus) was absolutely hilarious.
Old 05-22-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
And now having just read an article in EW (that had spoiler warnings) they didn't mention Boone wanting to take a break or anything . Leaving this all just being a planed plot point....
I actually got the reverse impression from the EW article. It looks like it's split into two extended articles online, but here's the interview with the producers:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/19...son-4-spoilers
When we [found out] Megan was pregnant, it felt like something we couldn’t ignore in a show that’s all about the nature of identity... how do we ignore the fact that our lead actress is pregnant? As a natural progression from that, it seemed like Liz would want to protect her child from Reddington.
To me, that reads that the faked death was a "natural progression" from how to deal with Boone's pregnancy in the show. So the fake death plot point wasn't planned out until after Boone got pregnant.

From an interview with Boon:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/19...liz-keen-alive
Was the decision to fake Liz’s death solely because of your real-life pregnancy, or do you think Liz HAD TO get away from Red at this point?

I can say that it’s clear at this point that the answers Liz seeks about her mother, her past, and her connection to Red aren’t going to come from Red.. It’s a good point in the series for Liz to break away.
She doesn't contradict or object to the premise of the question that it was at least partially based on her real-life pregnancy.

To me, it not only seemed pretty obvious early on (i.e. during the episode where she "dies") that not only was the death faked, but that it was a way to give Boone some time off for her pregnancy. It's been done before, most notably Scully's abduction in the X-Files.
Old 05-22-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm little surprised why anyone here would actually think Liz was dead. Even my wife knew Liz was alive. Outside of Spader, she's the star of the show. She's gone, the journey is gone.
Great season. I was amazed at the quality and intensity of each episode. I kept thinking they were peaking thoughout the season and then the next episode would be just as strong.
Mixed feelings on the midseason show.
Old 05-22-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To me, that reads that the faked death was a "natural progression" from how to deal with Boone's pregnancy in the show. So the fake death plot point wasn't planned out until after Boone got pregnant.
I must not have been clear because that is not what I was trying to say. I agree with what you posted, but you have added more than what the article actually stated. Maybe it came from the online portion that I have not read.

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm little surprised why anyone here would actually think Liz was dead. Even my wife knew Liz was alive.
Who posted that they thought she was dead and was never coming back? All I've seen was predictions on how long the plotline would play out until her return. I figured they would at least wait until the conclusion of next season's premiere.
Old 05-22-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I must not have been clear because that is not what I was trying to say. I agree with what you posted, but you have added more than what the article actually stated. Maybe it came from the online portion that I have not read...
Yes, the online articles have more than what was in the print article, although the bit about the "natural progression" was in the print article.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say. To me it seemed like you thought they had planned to do the fake death regardless of Boone's pregnancy. The printed article hinted, and the online articles make a bit more clear, that the fake death was a result of Boone's pregnancy.

This article maybe offers more info:
http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-blac...ed-1201760049/
DEADLINE: How was the decision made to “kill off” Elizabeth Keene as you were looking to accommodate Megan’s pregnancy?

BOKENKAMP: You know, we really embraced Megan’s pregnancy from the beginning. We never really considered trying to hide it — having her walk around carrying potted plants and standing behind furniture. Her pregnancy allowed us to find an organic way to deal with Liz’s own childhood and feelings of abandonment and identity. In the end, it was less about “killing her off,” and more about the Red/Liz dynamic. She was thinking about her child when she made the decision to try and get away from Red.
Old 05-22-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To me it seemed like you thought they had planned to do the fake death regardless of Boone's pregnancy.
Exactly the opposite. At this point the only reason you seem to be replying is to find a way to say I'm wrong somehow despite my posting that I agree with you.