Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROBODOC: The Creation of RoboCop

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-04-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Directed by Paul Verhoeven, produced by Jon Davison and written by Ed Neumeier & Michael Miner, first released in 1987 ‘RoboCop’ has since become one of the most iconic and successful movies of the 1980s, a movie that was well a head of its time and has left a lasting impression on fans across the globe. RoboCop is a movie that many fans watched as children when they were too young to understand the social commentary of this R-Rated movie, yet they were instantly hooked on the future of law enforcement.
From Dead Mouse Productions Ltd and Cult Screenings UK Ltd, makers of ‘Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II’ and ‘You’re so cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night’ comes this new documentary ‘RoboDoc’. A fully independent retrospective into the making of ‘RoboCop’ and its cultural impact over the last 30 years. Supported by dozens of the original cast and crew ‘RoboDoc’ is made by fans of the movie for fans of the movie. The crew have already received support from over 20 of the cast and crew as well as the RoboCop Archive and there is no doubt that by the time of production many more key players will be attached and share their amazing stories about one of the iconic movies ever-made.

The documentary is made as a labour of love by a team of ‘RoboCop’ fans, Director Christopher Griffiths states “To say that RoboCop is a big part of my life is an understatement. Just ask anybody who knows me. It is the film that started it all from me at an age when I probably shouldn’t have been watching it like many others, but I did and I have grown up with it and found new things each time I watch it.”

Producer Gary Smart explains “After Leviathan and Brewster, there was only one other cult-classic that we wanted to tackle and that is RoboCop. RoboCop is a movie that I have so many fond memories of watching when I was a child. I vividly remember being enthralled with the story of Alex Murphy and being grossed out, but excited by the amazing special effects.
This project is a labour of love as Chris and Eastwood are die-hard fans of RoboCop and truly are the best people to do the movie justice.”

Creative Producer Eastwood Allen states “RoboCop is a visceral experience like nothing else. It possesses everything that was great about that era of filmmaking, and was way ahead of it’s time. The movie shaped my sensibilities as a film fan, and has remained a solid favourite of mine since I can remember”

The official Facebook page is now live, where you can receive regular updates on the pre-production, production, whose involved and how YOU can support this amazing project! https://www.facebook.com/RoboDoc2017/
Old 05-05-16, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: ROBODOC: The Creation of RoboCop

I mean... can there be enough for Robocop 1?

Sure... I'm intrigued cuz it's Robo.
Old 05-05-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup, will watch.
Old 05-05-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would hope its more interesting then Leviathan. I managed to see the 4 hour part on Hellraiser and it was acceptable, but just too much one on one interview, and largely dealing with the more boring aspects of the movie and production. Also it had nothing with Clive Barker or Ashley Lawrence which if you ask me is unforgivable.
Old 05-05-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ To be fair, Barker has a hard time speaking so that might explain his lack of involvement.

I'd watch this, sure. I love the film.
Old 05-05-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Wonder how long this doc is going to run.
Old 05-05-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
^ To be fair, Barker has a hard time speaking so that might explain his lack of involvement.

I'd watch this, sure. I love the film.
Yeah the last i saw of him was on the Nightbreed Shout Factory release and he sounded very bad. I had seen over the last 10 years different interviews with him (discussing Abarat in one) and his voice was not the squeaky school boy it used to be. I know he has had a lot of medical problems and almost close to death at times. Its really taking its toll. At one point his neck got all bulky and his face was bright red. I thought he had started taking steroids or something. On the Nightbreed interview he looks in a terrible state.
Old 05-05-16, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shit had to do w/ his smoking, no? Affected his throat and such... I think that's it.

Wiki had this:

Barker said in a December 2008 online interview (published in March 2009) that he had polyps in his throat which were so severe that a doctor told him he was taking in ten percent of the air he was supposed to have been getting. He has had two surgeries to remove them and believes his resultant voice is an improvement over how it was prior to the surgeries. He said he did not have cancer and has given up cigars
Old 05-05-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I went to a book signing for the second Abarat book and he sounded pretty rough. He was a trooper. Even after talking about the books and all, he still took the time to talk with each fan.
Old 07-18-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I wasn't interested in this at all but the new trailer convinced me.
Old 07-18-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Wow great trailer. That documentary looks awesome. Plus I like that it covers all 3 movies and even the cartoons and TV series.

Apparently Peter Weller declined to participate in it, so all of his interview footage will be from old archived interviews. But they seem to have gotten all the key participants in the movie aside from him in new interviews.

I know the production company that made this is the same one that made the Hellraiser and Fright Night documentaries and they're UK based. So this is probably a UK exclusive release.
Old 07-18-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster

I wasn't interested in this at all but the new trailer convinced me.
I'll buy that for a dollar!
Old 07-18-17, 07:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i'd get this on one of the streaming service...
Old 07-18-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

No participation from Peter Weller?
Old 07-18-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Trailer was great. I need to this!
Old 07-18-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
No participation from Peter Weller?
He declined to participate.
Old 07-18-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well ain't that a kick in the nuts.
Old 07-19-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

What a dumb shit he would be noting without that movie. Probably got sick of only being associated with it. Basically done nothing since.
Old 07-19-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
What a dumb shit he would be noting without that movie. Probably got sick of only being associated with it. Basically done nothing since.
In his defense though, he could just be tired of talking about it and has nothing more that he can really say that hasn't already been said. I do think that him not participating though sucks, and it does leave a rather big hole in the documentary.
Old 07-19-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
In his defense though, he could just be tired of talking about it and has nothing more that he can really say that hasn't already been said. I do think that him not participating though sucks, and it does leave a rather big hole in the documentary.
I sort of agree that there is really nothing more that can be said at this point, but it would have been nice for him to participate.

You could make a pretty good argument that Robocop was the ONLY thing of true note Weller ever did.
Old 07-19-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

His participation in the Buckaroo Banzai documentary was next to useless. He mostly just kept repeating how great of an experience it was, how cool/nice someone else was, that's it. I don't recall anything interesting, any stories, any experiences, nothing that didn't sound even remotely unique.
Old 07-19-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Weller has transitioned to directing for TV these days.

But, acting wise, he hasn't really done anything of note in the last 25-30 years aside from mostly B movies and guest starring in TV.

As I mentioned earlier, I read they will be using old archived interviews of Weller. So at least we're getting something from him even though it isn't current. I've seen a lot of these newer produced retrospective documentaries use archived interviews. Diane Lane didn't participate in the new Streets of Fire documentary on the Shout BD, but they used old interviews of her from 1983.

I'm sure they'll use EPK interviews of Weller from the time of filming.
Old 04-30-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Big update

HUGE UPDATE

‘RoboCop! Who is he? What is he? Where does he come from?’

WELL WE HAVE THE ANSWERS!

We’re beyond excited to announce ‘RoboCop’ himself, Peter Weller joins RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop.

We recently sat down with Weller for an extensive ultra deep-dive into all things RoboCop (1987), Robocop 2 (1990) and the RoboCop legacy. Peter gave us an electrifyingly animated interview and covered details about all aspects we’d never heard before.

We’re still deep in post production finalising the editing as well as future release details but we CANNOT WAIT to share with movie fans the definitive RoboCop documentary. 🚔🎥

https://deadline.com/2021/04/robocop...234747420/amp/
Old 04-30-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Promo with Weller

Old 04-30-21, 02:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

that's fucking awesome!!!! buy in a heartbeat!!! do we know about when? maybe?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.