Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sean 'Puff Daddy' Combs Retiring From Music to Focus on Acting

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

It's the end of an era for Sean Combs.

The rapper -- referred to over the years by a slew of nicknames, including Diddy, but currently going by "Puff Daddy" – is opening up about his retirement from music, opting to focus his creative energy on acting. Combs is currently working on his final album, No Way Out 2.

"I'm going to put out my last album and devote 100 percent of my time to doing films," he told Cigar Aficionado magazine. "I want to stop at a great place. And a final album is a great place to stop. I want to take a victory lap, to do a world tour and really enjoy it one last time."

Perhaps with his own legacy weighing heavy on his mind, the 46-year-old entrepreneur got candid about his drive to make music that will stand the test of time.

"When I'm gone, only the songs will survive. I know I'm making music that will live on," he said. "I don't go into the studio just to be hot or to hear myself on the radio. Michael Jackson, Tupac, Biggie -- part of them lives on in their music, even though they're not here anymore. That's really deep, man. The only other thing like that is religion."

Combs released his debut album, No Way Out, in 1997. Since then, he's released a total of five studio albums and, most recently, one mixtape.

"The way I have to come back is exciting to me," he explained. "If you're not putting out albums all the time, you have to come back in a way that grabs attention. People are always looking for what's next - but the cream always rises to the top. I'm going to make it the most honest and best that I can. If I can be fearless with it, nothing can stop me."

In addition to building his professional empire, Combs is equally focused on raising his children.

"I have such a deep appreciation at being able to be a father. My father didn't get the chance to be there for me. That makes me appreciate the opportunity that much more deeply," he confessed. "I stress the importance of that to my kids - that you can't take having a family for granted."

Combs opened up even more about being a father in a recent interview with ET, when he re-teamed with his one-time mentee, Pharrell Williams, as a mentor on The Voice.

"We're so close, so they know me and they can read me. I've been giving them advice so long, I guess it taught them how to give advice," Combs said of his kids. "On a personal level, I actually sent my girls some texts and I just asked them, I said, 'Can you tell me how to become a better daddy?' That's the kind of relationship that I have with them. They are the ones giving me advice now."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...P&ocid=U305DHP
Old 04-30-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Sean 'Puff Daddy' Combs Retiring From Music to Focus on Acting

Old 04-30-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's crazy to think that most Hip-Hop artists from the late 90s/early 00s have pretty much disappeared from the music scene today. I thought Diddy retired 10 years ago
Old 04-30-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
It's crazy to think that most Hip-Hop artists from the late 90s/early 00s have pretty much disappeared from the music scene today. I thought Diddy retired 10 years ago
Hip hop, more so than rock, appears to be a game for the young. While rappers haven't gotten old enough to know for sure yet, it seems that it won't be like in rock where bands go on for 30 years or more, and guys like Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney still tour in their 70s.

Maybe it's just a genre that doesn't work so well when you get older. When Dylan performs a song that he wrote 50 years ago, it doesn't seem that strange, but can you imagine an old Eminem doing "Just Don't Give a Fuck?" (Although at that point, maybe he just won't give a fuck.)
Old 04-30-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Who?
Old 04-30-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best news ever.
Old 05-01-16, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe it's just a genre that doesn't work so well when you get older. When Dylan performs a song that he wrote 50 years ago, it doesn't seem that strange, but can you imagine an old Eminem doing "Just Don't Give a Fuck?" (Although at that point, maybe he just won't give a fuck.)
True. I don't see a demand for a Run DMC or LL Cool J tour when they hit their 60's or older.

Doesn't this hurt the viability of rap long term and it mostly just a phase for young listeners?

I admit I was a huge rap fan from the 80's-1992 and I never listen to any of the rap songs stored on my ipod.
Old 05-01-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
While rappers haven't gotten old enough to know for sure yet
Old 05-01-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have been news like 15 years ago. But currently he doesn't have a career in either arena.
Old 05-01-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is just stepping into the void left by Prince being gone. I think this shows how much of a great human being and artist he is, coming out of retirement so people can stop grieving and continue to listen to legendary music for the ages.
Old 05-02-16, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't think it's that because you have punk band touring where guys are now in their 40s,50s and 60s singing about *uck authority who probably drive minivans in the Suburbs and were/are PTA members and probably grew out if the angst they felt decades ago.

Outkast Headlined Coachella in 2014 at almost 40 and I imagine if they want to 10-20-30 if someone throws enough money at them Big Boi and Andre3000 will be in the top tier of nostalgia acts.

With the kind of money Eminem made I would imagine he might just rather spend his twilight years sitting on a beach or playing golf. It's possible a lot of these 60s/70s Nostalgia rock acts if they ever made Britney Spears/Eminem money and also didn't spend it on Lavish Rock Star **it when they were young if they would just be doing regular old rich guy retirement stuff.
Old 05-02-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
a final album is a great place to stop."
Every...I repeat, EVERY single artist ever ended their career on their final album. I get what he's trying to say, but the way that comes across is just silly.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
"When I'm gone, only the songs will survive. I know I'm making music that will live on," he said."
When was the last time anyone heard that classic Puff Daddy tune?

Also, his tunes still live on because they were built on the backs of other artists' songs. THOSE songs will survive.

Maybe it's just a genre that doesn't work so well when you get older.
When you grow up you realize how trite the lyrics really are and move on.
Old 05-02-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No Way Out 2? Really??

I'll admit though, his character was pretty hilarious in Get Him to the Greek.
Old 05-02-16, 05:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Hip hop, more so than rock, appears to be a game for the young. While rappers haven't gotten old enough to know for sure yet, it seems that it won't be like in rock where bands go on for 30 years or more, and guys like Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney still tour in their 70s.
Maybe in the future rap will have greater longevity, but the truth is these guys were the pop artists of their era. They called themselves "rappers" but they were pop. Pop never has longevity. Springsteen and Dylan and The Stones still tour. Ricky Martin and Oasis not so much.
Old 05-03-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Maybe in the future rap will have greater longevity, but the truth is these guys were the pop artists of their era. They called themselves "rappers" but they were pop. Pop never has longevity.
Someone never sent the memo to Bon Jovi,Kiss or any number of crappy bands who have been touring for decades when their music when you strip it down is just crappy pop records with guitars.

And even good acts from the 60s and 70s who have released a lot of albums with a diverse catalog this is essentially what their concerts boil down to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jDWciH1Mw

Fans just wanting to hear all their popular hits. Just think of poor Brian Wilson and how many times he has probably had to play California Girls and Good Vibrations.