Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If most movies have a 2K DI, why film a movie with higher resolution cameras?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 12:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

From what I read, even now the majority of movies being released still ultimately end up with either a 2K or a 4K DI, regardless of how they were filmed. So what is the point of filming a movie with such a super high resolution digital camera, such as the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 being filmed at 8K, if it is ultimately going to be have all (or most) of the post-production work done in either 2K or 4K?
Old 04-28-16, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: If most movies have a 2K DI, why film a movie with higher resolution cameras?

And I'll inevitably wait to see these films on a low-end cable channel, shown pan-and-scan & with commercials, but I'll record them on VHS first and watch them that way.
Old 04-28-16, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: If most movies have a 2K DI, why film a movie with higher resolution cameras?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And I'll inevitably wait to see these films on a low-end cable channel, shown pan-and-scan & with commercials, but I'll record them on VHS first and watch them that way.
VHS is lame, Beta or bust.

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
From what I read, even now the majority of movies being released still ultimately end up with either a 2K or a 4K DI, regardless of how they were filmed. So what is the point of filming a movie with such a super high resolution digital camera, such as the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 being filmed at 8K, if it is ultimately going to be have all (or most) of the post-production work done in either 2K or 4K?
If it's available, why not? Helps future proof it, and if they want to reapply the effects at a higher resolution down the line, then more power to them.
Old 04-28-16, 07:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm still rocking the recordable laserdisc player. Just getting harder to find recordable laserdiscs. Unsure if it'll be able to capture 2k or 4k.

Old 04-28-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That one doesn't record- that's the original 1978 Magnavision. Only LD recorders were pro models.
Old 04-28-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Concussion was shot in 2K or at least the DI was in 2K, so having it in 4k UHD is a moot point. Wouldn't that make it an upconvert?
Old 04-28-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now it's all a moot point. Even if a film is shot, like GotG2, in 8K the effects work is still rendered at 2K because anything more would take a considerable amount of time. So you wind up with films on UHD like The Martian, where the practically shot footage looks great while everything done digitally isn't quite up to the expected level.
Old 04-29-16, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just think it is odd that a director would choose to film their movie in such a high resolution when they know that when all the post-production work is finished, audiences will only be able to see their movie in 2K instead of the resolution that it was originally filmed in. I understand that the CGI effects could be redone in a higher resolution in the future, but from what I understand, for the foreseeable future that would be extremely time consuming and quite expensive, and would likely not happen very often.

By the way, does anyone know if a movie has ever had any of their special effects "updated" after the movie had been released?
Old 04-29-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^ Highlander 2: Renegade Version
Old 04-29-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shooting in higher resolutions gives you some leg room in composing your shots. You can crop or zoom in if needed without worry.
Old 04-29-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
… So you wind up with films on UHD like The Martian, where the practically shot footage looks great while everything done digitally isn't quite up to the expected level.
I take it from this that you're seen it in 4K/UHD? Else how could you make that statement?

As for the original poster, higher resolution (in general) means better picture quality. Resolution isn't everything about picture quality, of course. However, everything else being equal among cameras, then the higher the resolution, the better the picture.

By analogy, imagine the difference in filming something in 16mm film vs. 70mm. Which is going to have better picture quality?
Old 04-29-16, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read enough reviews for 4K titles to know this is the case.
Old 04-30-16, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the replies, and those make sense. And thanks for the information about Highlander 2: Renegade Version.
Old 05-01-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I've read enough reviews for 4K titles to know this is the case.
I have to see that for myself. I've read too much about too many things to just take someone's word.
I have too often seen things that contradict what someone said or claimed.

Not that I don't trust reviews, but… well, I don't trust reviews.
Especially when they contradict my own judgement.

Look at the current brouhaha about 4K/UHD TV picture quality/resolution… not really different from the same argument when HDTVs came on the scene. You have to sit so far from the screen, etc., etc., or you can't see the difference.

I could/can see the difference, and I have aging eyes and wear glasses.