Arrow (S4E19) -- "Canary Cry" -- 4/27/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Arrow (S4E19) -- "Canary Cry" -- 4/27/16

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27

ARROW

"Canary Cry" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

OLIVER, LANCE AND TEAM DEAL WITH LAUREL'S DEATH - Oliver (Stephen Amell) and the team struggle to come to terms with Laurel's (Katie Cassidy) death, especially Diggle (David Ramsey) who is overwhelmed with guilt for choosing to believe Andy (guest star Eugene Byrd) had changed. Meanwhile, Lance (Paul Blackthorne) refuses to believe his daughter is really gone and asks Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) to help bring her back. A recent Black Canary sighting in Star City only seems to prove his theory that Laurel isn't actually dead. Laura Belsey directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Beth Schwartz (#419). Original airdate 4/27/2016.

Episode 19 of 23
Old 04-27-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Arrow (S4E19) -- "Canary Cry" -- 4/27/16

After tonight's episode, I really don't think we'll be seeing Laurel Lance anymore. She looked pretty freaking dead to me and is 6 feet under.

Even Nyssa Al Ghul said there was no way to resurrect her again.

At least we know Barry got his speed back.

I enjoyed the dark moments with the team mourning Laurel. The Black Canary copycat subplot did nothing for me. I don't even remember that girl/plot from the previous episode that was referenced.
Old 04-28-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I assume Evelyn Sharpe will become STARLING at some point in the future.

Emotional Episode.
Old 04-28-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I realize Arrow isn't must-watch entertainment anymore for many people, but this was one of the season's best episodes. Seeing a different set of flashbacks was inspired and actually made the current events more poignant. It was the first set of flashbacks I hadn't fast-forwarded since Constantine's appearance.

My advice to Arrow's producers is set next season's flashbacks in a time period we've already seen, like the season one time period of Arrow. Removing Katie Cassidy from the show does make that scenario much less likely, but it has to be more interesting than the mediocre flashbacks we've been seeing the past couple of years.

This episode had the first real glimpses of romantic chemistry between Stephen Amell and Katie. If we had gotten any scenes like these flashbacks three years ago, fans wouldn't have been clamoring so much for Oliver to date Felicity.
Old 04-28-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I realize Arrow isn't must-watch entertainment anymore for many people, but this was one of the season's best episodes. Seeing a different set of flashbacks was inspired and actually made the current events more poignant. It was the first set of flashbacks I hadn't fast-forwarded since Constantine's appearance.

My advice to Arrow's producers is set next season's flashbacks in a time period we've already seen, like the season one time period of Arrow. Removing Katie Cassidy from the show does make that scenario much less likely, but it has to be more interesting than the mediocre flashbacks we've been seeing the past couple of years.

This episode had the first real glimpses of romantic chemistry between Stephen Amell and Katie. If we had gotten any scenes like these flashbacks three years ago, fans wouldn't have been clamoring so much for Oliver to date Felicity.
Agree. The flashbacks in last night's episode really worked. It showed the missing period from season 1 after Tommy died with Oliver mourning his loss and the love/bond that he and Laurel had.

Some pretty emotional scenes too with Paul Blackthorne.
Old 04-28-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's unfortunate that Katie Cassidy is now gone from the show. I was really liking her character/performances these past few episodes.

It seems that both Oliver and Barry have to fight the Darkness. Crossover season finale?
Old 04-28-16, 09:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by stingo
It's unfortunate that Katie Cassidy is now gone from the show. I was really liking her character/performances these past few episodes.
David Cassidy, I loved you on the Partridge Family!
Old 04-28-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingo

It seems that both Oliver and Barry have to fight the Darkness. Crossover season finale?
That crossover looks very possible.
Old 04-29-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, that was stupid of Oliver to reveal that Laurel was Black Canary. The writing is so lazy they're probably not going to address what will happen to her work as an ADA. Oliver is a dumb ass.
Old 04-29-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mrhan
Well, that was stupid of Oliver to reveal that Laurel was Black Canary. The writing is so lazy they're probably not going to address what will happen to her work as an ADA. Oliver is a dumb ass.
How does that even matter and why is it lazy? Laurel and The Black Canary are dead. Oliver decided to share that news to show that Laurel did more for the city than just being an ADA,
Old 04-29-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, as the Black Canary her actions aren't sanctioned by the law and being a vigilante basically makes you a criminal. So, being an ADA gives her a pass on her criminal actions? I see a whole lot of her convictions being thrown out the window. How hard is that to comprehend?
Old 04-29-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
How does that even matter and why is it lazy? Laurel and The Black Canary are dead. Oliver decided to share that news to show that Laurel did more for the city than just being an ADA,
Every case she ever prosecuted would have to be reopened in the real world and tried again. Many of her convictions as ADA would have to be tossed out.

It's not something for a show like Arrow to worry about, however.
Old 04-29-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not something for a show like Arrow to worry about, however.
Like I stated earlier...the writers aren't even going to answer any of that. Shit, even Batman knew not to tell anyone Jason Todd was Robin when he died.
Old 04-29-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, but how many of Laurel's cases were directly linked to her work as Black Canary? She was an ADA long before she became The Black Canary.
Old 04-29-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, but how many of Laurel's cases were directly linked to her work as Black Canary? She was an ADA long before she became The Black Canary.
That's not the point. It is her integrity as an ADA that is in question. If she is willing to act like a criminal who's to say she didn't manufacture evidence to win a case. I'm sure she didn't but that's not what the law sees. All they see is that she is compromised. Which is enough to throw cases out and/or retry them.
Old 04-30-16, 05:40 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

That's not the point. It is her integrity as an ADA that is in question. If she is willing to act like a criminal who's to say she didn't manufacture evidence to win a case. I'm sure she didn't but that's not what the law sees. All they see is that she is compromised. Which is enough to throw cases out and/or retry them.
My only guess would be that this was the word of Oliver, who's seen by the public as a loon for dropping out running for mayor when he was clearly the favorite. Plus they'd have to prove she was Black Canary. Is that going to be a thing for the show? It'd the most remarkable investigation in the series' history.
Old 04-30-16, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

On top of that, the fact Oliver Queen knew who The Black Canary was would probably lead to most people connecting the dots that he was the Green Arrow. Wouldn't be a difficult connection to make.

I thought the episode was one of the better ones this season. The question I have about Dahrk's magic, is what makes it so different from the others Oliver encountered? Why is Constantine so afraid of it?

If people like Constantine, Vixen and Dahrk exist in the Arrowverse, there must be other magic users Oliver can enlist to his aid.
Old 04-30-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another totally lame episode. They really tried, but scenes like Daddy Lance going on about bringing Laurel back just came off as parody rather than real emotion. Sam goes for Diggle confronting the Mayor in the limo. Just dumb. But maybe I'm in the minority on that one.

But now that they have finally caught up to the gravesite reveal we can get onto something that can bring this show back to form. Please!

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-01-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-30-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
If people like Constantine, Vixen and Dahrk exist in the Arrowverse, there must be other magic users Oliver can enlist to his aid.
My services are always available.
Old 04-30-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My services are always available.
I'm surprised Dead Man hasn't popped up since they seem to be always going to Nanda Parbat.
Old 05-01-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm surprised Dead Man hasn't popped up since they seem to be always going to Nanda Parbat.
He's being seriously considered for a movie project from what I've heard. It would also be a tough character to pull off on a weekly television show. See how they've handled Firestorm. The VFX simply require more prep time than a televison schedule allows.
Old 05-01-16, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Deadman realized that Nanda Parbat in the Arrowverse is a real shit-show and moved out.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-01-16 at 10:59 PM.