Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrow vs. Shout Factory: Which is the better distributor?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Which is the better distributor?
Arrow Video
67.86%
Shout Factory
32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Based on title selection, features, artwork variety, audio and video transfers, which is a better distributor, Arrow or Shout Factory?
Old 04-22-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Arrow vs. Shout Factory: Which is the better distributor?

On the technical side, Arrow is superior. And it's not even close.
Old 04-22-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Arrow is probably better technically I agree but I think Shout/Scream gets films that are more fun. A lot of the Arrow stuff is a bit more obscure which can be hit or miss with me. I still like their releases though and think they do a top notch job.
Old 04-22-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Tie
Old 04-22-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Arrow is probably better technically I agree but I think Shout/Scream gets films that are more fun. A lot of the Arrow stuff is a bit more obscure which can be hit or miss with me. I still like their releases though and think they do a top notch job.
That is pretty much how I see the two horror distributors. Scream makes better choices in terms of what to release but Arrow goes beyond the call of duty with their releases. Arrow always delivers spiffier packaging and more extensive special features.

Arrow has been releasing some very critical giallo movies that I don't think Scream would ever touch, like Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key.

I do think Arrow's entry into the American market has forced Scream Factory to step up their game. Scream is now delivering better transfers than when they first got into Blu-ray.
Old 04-22-16, 08:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Both are excellent, but I have more Shout bc their collection is more my mainstream horror taste. I have a few Arrow but haven't watched any titles yet...
Old 04-22-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I do think Arrow's entry into the American market has forced Scream Factory to step up their game. Scream is now delivering better transfers than when they first got into Blu-ray.
Agreed. It does seem like Scream has stepped up their game a bit more in term of presentation since Arrow entered the US market. Ultimately I like both companies and will support them both. I'm not really a fanboy for either.
Old 04-22-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I posted this, I was still thinking it over as I get both Shout/Scream and Arrow titles but ultimately I leaning toward Arrow. The features alone have been incredible and you can tell there was lots of love put into them (not to downplay what Shout has done). For instance, on The Mutilator release, they got a good number of the original cast back to do new interviews which is above and beyond for a movie like that. Not to mention, going all out to release the fully uncut version.

Anyway, giving a slight edge to Arrow.
Old 04-23-16, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I love both companies but I have to say that Arrow is better. However, I can fully accept that people might like Scream's titles much more than Arrow's. Both do a good job with the extras.

Just a few reasons why I like Arrow more:

Arrow is more consistent with Video/Audio.
Arrow beats them handily in packaging especially with the Steelbook releases and their limited editions.
I like their clear cases much more.
Arrow has booklets.
Old 04-23-16, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the booklets are nice.
Old 04-23-16, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Arrow
I own more movies from Arrow.And I'm not even A big horror movie fan.
They also release many classic like Cinema Paradiso.
Packaging,extras and past great sales all great.
I do not care much about slip covers.But really like the slipbox covers Arrow used on first editions.Have not bought any Arrow US releases yet.
But plan to buy The Human Condition Trilogy(UK,May 2016) for sure.Already own the Criterion DVD set.Really one of my favorite sets from Criterion.

My first Arrow buys(2012)
DVD
Horror, Sex & Violence Collection (Arrow Videos 18 disc DVD Cult Series) - Amazon Exclusive £58.33

Most if not all Blu-ray
1 x FCD454 - Arrow Video: Inferno () £7.99
1 x FCD497 - Arrow Video: The Beyond () £7.99
1 x FCD440 - Arrow Video: The Cat O' Nine Tails () £7.99
1 x FCD503 - Arrow Video: Frankenhooker () £7.99
1 x FCD442 - Arrow Video: The Bird With the Crystal Plumage () £7.99
1 x FCD433 - Arrow Video: City of the Living Dead () £7.99
1 x FCD443 - Arrow Video: Deep Red () £7.99
1 x FCD477 - Arrow Video: The Funhouse () £7.99
1 x FCD467 - Arrow Video: A Bay of Blood () £7.99
1 x FCD554 - Arrow Video: The Exterminator () £7.99
1 x FCD437 - Arrow Video: Tenebrae () £7.99
1 x FCD441 - Arrow Video: Phenomena () £7.99
1 x FCD496 - Arrow Video: Vamp () £7.99
Total Order Cost: £103.87

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-23-16 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
On the technical side, Arrow is superior. And it's not even close.
My vote goes to Arrow because of this.
Old 04-24-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to Region A distribution only, Shout.
Old 04-25-16, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

..Arrow puts out more diverse films and you can't beat their extras and picture quality...it's Arrow hands down for me..
Old 04-25-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not a horror fan, so I don't have many (any?) Shout Factory titles. Arrow is my new favorite. I would love to see the poll Arrow vs. Criterion.

BTW - what is the diff between Arrow and Arrow Academy?

Edit: I actually do have a few SF titles....8 Shout vs. 18 Arrow.
Old 04-25-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was region free I'm sure I would be more familiar with Arrow. But without it, Shout/Scream all the way!
Old 04-25-16, 11:37 AM

Arrow titles typically cost about $7-$10 more than Scream/Shout...so you are "paying" more for those extras, folks.
Old 04-25-16, 11:51 AM

and I will give my vote to Shout just to level the playing field even though I like them both equally.

I'd argue Shout has more diverse titles.. Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Decline of Western Civilzation, that's some diverse stuff as well.
Old 04-25-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I'd argue Shout has more diverse titles.. Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Decline of Western Civilzation, that's some diverse stuff as well.
If we're keeping it domestic, Arrow vs. Scream Factory would be a fairer comparison: cult cinema vs. cult cinema. Arrow Academy -- Arrow's arthouse arm -- doesn't have a presence over here.

Arrow feels more...curated, in that Criterion sense, and their presentations are consistently phenomenal. Scream Factory is more scattershot since they cover everything from '80s slashers to bigger-budget studio releases to SyFy-original-style indies. The highs are phenomenal, but a typical release is less likely to catch my eye, and generally relying on licensor-supplied masters results in very uneven quality. I can't put into words how much I love their Army of Darkness set, their Return of the Living Dead release is one of my most anticipated titles of the year, and they're responsible for a bunch of BDs I love, love, love (The Babadook, Stung, New Year's Evil, and Final Exam are a few that spring to mind). It does seem like there aren't as many must-have Scream releases month after month the way there used to be, even though the best of what they're putting out now eclipses anything they've released in the past.
Old 04-25-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm not region free and I know Arrow is a UK company and produces mostly Region B Blu-Rays. So for the most part, their content isn't widely consumed.

I did purchase a few of their U.S. Blu-Rays recently: Pray for Death and Rage of Honor (the Sho Kosugi martial arts movies) and was really impressed with both of them. Some solid extras for really small independent movies. I really want their special edition of "The Delta Force" from Cannon Films. One of my favorite Chuck Norris action movies of all time. I saw it has a good amount of extras, but unfortunately it's part of their UK line and is region B.

I have to give the edge to Shout/Scream Factory though. Since they are a U.S. company and have more content available to U.S. consumers. Special edition BDs with lots of extras is becoming a very niche product now for BD owners, so I appreciate that they are one of the few companies who put the extra effort in them. Loved their recent Invasion USA BD.

I just don't really feel the need to go all regions. I see most region free BD players on Amazon are around $150 and I don't think I would purchase enough of to make it worth it. I use and watch mostly Region A BDs. It's too much of a niche product. The foreign BDs I do purchase are usually from HK and they're already Region A/All regions.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-25-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not region free and I know Arrow is a UK company and produces mostly Region B Blu-Rays. So for the most part, their content isn't widely consumed.

I did purchase a few of their U.S. Blu-Rays recently: Pray for Death and Rage of Honor (the Sho Kosugi martial arts movies) and was really impressed with both of them. Some solid extras for really small independent movies. I really want their special edition of "The Delta Force" from Cannon Films. One of my favorite Chuck Norris action movies of all time. I saw it has a good amount of extras, but unfortunately it's part of their UK line and is region B.

I have to give the edge to Shout/Scream Factory though. Since they are a U.S. company and have more content available to U.S. consumers. Special edition BDs with lots of extras is becoming a very niche product now for BD owners, so I appreciate that they are one of the few companies who put the extra effort in them. Loved their recent Invasion USA BD.

I just don't really feel the need to go all regions. I see most region free BD players on Amazon are around $150 and I don't think I would purchase enough of to make it worth it. I use and watch mostly Region A BDs. It's too much of a niche product. The foreign BDs I do purchase are usually from HK and they're already Region A/All regions.
You don't need to spend that much if you just want a BD player that plays Arrow Region B locked Blurays. Any Panasonic Bluray player will do. They go for cheap on ebay. I have an older one that plays the Arrow Region locked ones with a simple button command.

Add in that their titles are almost always part of some amazon.co.uk deals (2 for 10 or 3 for 20 etc) and this narrows the gap between Arrow and SF considerably. Oh and I think you can play all the extras as well with the Panasonic bluray player.
Old 04-25-16, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Arrow feels more...curated, in that Criterion sense, and their presentations are consistently phenomenal.
and that's the "Trick" with Arrow but they sure do a good job with it. "Contamination" may just be the worst title from both parties (at least to me) but Arrow sure sells it like it's some important milestone in Euro Horror history.
Old 04-25-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Arrow has messed up fewer titles than Shout has (going by both DVD and Blu-Ray), but they've released relatively fewer titles overall in comparison also.
Old 04-25-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
and that's the "Trick" with Arrow but they sure do a good job with it. "Contamination" may just be the worst title from both parties (at least to me) but Arrow sure sells it like it's some important milestone in Euro Horror history.
Yeah I can kind of see the comparison between Arrow and Criterion. Both release more niche titles and do so in ways where you would think that whatever they're releasing is some sort of cinematic masterpiece.

Shout/Scream Factory to me is maybe a slight step below in terms of presentation. The key with them to me though like I said earlier is that the films they release are more to my liking or are films that I know of or have at least heard of. Not that because I don't know a lot of the Arrow releases makes them less but I tend to not be as interested unless I see or read great reviews. I tend to think that Shout/Scream does a good job as far as things like extras and artwork too.
Old 04-25-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Shout Factory has interesting covers for the cases...but that's kinda where they stop being cool.

SF does have some quality releases, but every time I buy something it's like it's missing something. With Arrow releases, I get a better sense of completion.

Arrow has been putting out some really fabulous releases, and I'm not just talking about their impressive image quality along with original mono tracks if available.

Arrow's booklets are really a true gem to just sit back with a favorite drink, and take about 20 minutes to read all the information in them.

Books that come along with editions like Hellraiser Scarlet Box is rather amazing. I actually ordered this edition mostly because of the book.

Maybe I just don't have as many SF releases. I think I have about 10. They are quality releases, but the prices are just outrageous, and would it be too much to ask to either get some unique Blu-ray cases and create some inserts to at least make me THINK I have something special. At least try.

Arrow tries...and they go beyond.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-25-16 at 09:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.