Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S4E05) - "Clark's Place" - 4/13/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 07:35 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
The Americans (S4E05) - "Clark's Place" - 4/13/16

Episode 5 / Production #405 - "Clark's Place" (Airs April 13, 10:00 pm e/p) - Philip must consider his life with Martha and make a crushing choice from which there is no coming back. Written by Peter Ackerman; directed by Noah Emmerich.
Old 04-14-16, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans (S4E05) - "Clark's Place" - 4/13/16

I wonder if "This is our last dance" is an apt description for the Jennings. Will everything crumble from here on out?
Old 04-14-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still surprised Martha has survived this long. But yeah, it really does sound like something bad is coming for them.
Old 04-15-16, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think the question will become whether Elizabeth and Philip would abandon their children if exposed to the U.S. government? Allow Paige and Henry to become orphans or whatever, allowing them to remain normal Americans. It's the solution the show has avoided discussing whenever exposure has been brought up before. I could see Elizabeth and Philip deciding to remain Soviet agents in that scenario, leaving their children for good.
Old 04-15-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
I wonder if "This is our last dance" is an apt description for the Jennings. Will everything crumble from here on out?
It certainly does seem like the walls are really starting to close in on them. I know the show has at least one and maybe even two more seasons, but the pieces appear to be moving into place for the endgame. Both the Martha and Pastor Tim situations are ones that I don't think they can run away from at this point. It's not a matter of if they will fall apart, but rather a matter of when.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think the question will become whether Elizabeth and Philip would abandon their children if exposed to the U.S. government? Allow Paige and Henry to become orphans or whatever, allowing them to remain normal Americans. It's the solution the show has avoided discussing whenever exposure has been brought up before. I could see Elizabeth and Philip deciding to remain Soviet agents in that scenario, leaving their children for good.
Hmmm. Interesting. Both children do have surrogate families of sorts at this point.
Old 04-15-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm still surprised Martha has survived this long. But yeah, it really does sound like something bad is coming for them.
Everything Clark said about Martha in the episode seemed to give a reason to kill her.
Old 04-15-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Everything Clark said about Martha in the episode seemed to give a reason to kill her.
This is true. (And it was nice of Elizabeth to notice his sadness and comfort him.) But man, if another person from that office dies, and not long after they started tailing her, but will really ratchet up the heat.

Their play of Pastor Tim was pretty brilliant.

I just love how they went from telling Paige to totally backpeddling ("Honey, we don't hurt people. We help people.")
Old 04-15-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Panoply does a weekly podcast about this show (rss link). Noah Emmerich Stan directed this episode. He said the script for the final scene said "Philip and Elizabeth fuck hard"
Old 04-16-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Loved the ending montage of 'Under Pressure' as they always know the right 80's song to sum up the theme of the Episode.

I guess with Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys being a couple, they could go full bore on the last scene between them to make it realistic in bed.
Old 04-17-16, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Elizabeth, maybe, but not Phillip.
Old 04-18-16, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Loved the fake El Salvadorian Priest to fool Pastor Tim and his wife.
Old 04-18-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
Clark obviously cares for her but that seems to be the only solution at this point. Hes fooling himself if he thinks there is a clean way out of this for her. They talked about getting her and other assets out of the country before. But I think thats what they tell Clark and Elizabeth to make them feel better. Once they are no longer useful why spend precious resources on them?
Old 04-18-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Loved the fake El Salvadorian Priest to fool Pastor Tim and his wife.
Best part about that was Elizabeth's delivery when Philip asked her if she thought the guy was a real priest.

The amount of layers in this show. The tone is obviously completely different, but season 2 of Chuck excelled when the themes of the spy mission mirrored the personal dilemas of Chuck. This episode demonstrated why the same approach works so well for the American's too. Consider:

1) Philip telling Paige she needs to get close to pastor Tim vs Elizabeth telling Philip he has to get close to Stan.
2) Philip spinning at the thought of the Martha situation vs Olegg dealing with the fallout from Nina (you can tell he's pissed at his country!)
3) Paige vs Martha dealing with the consequences of their trapped situation (the shot framing both of them awake at night was essentially identical)
Old 04-18-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

I'm really getting a kick out of having all these fun scenes with Elizabeth and the Korean lady. They have this great rapport and still we have NO IDEA what Elizabeth is up to. It's completely different than every other mission The Jennings have done in the run of the show. There's got to be a reason they're telling the story this way and I'm dying to find out what it is...
Old 04-18-16, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Clark obviously cares for her but that seems to be the only solution at this point. Hes fooling himself if he thinks there is a clean way out of this for her. They talked about getting her and other assets out of the country before. But I think thats what they tell Clark and Elizabeth to make them feel better. Once they are no longer useful why spend precious resources on them?
His name is Phillip. Clark is an alias.
Old 04-19-16, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Phillip is an alias as well. He's just lived in that identity longer.
Old 04-19-16, 08:33 AM

Ah, there's the key word : Identity. Phillip is his identity now, it's what his wife, his closest friends and his handlers call him. To say "Phillip" is an alias is like saying Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabber are aliases.
That picture on the top of the page is Phillip and Elizabeth, not Clark and Elizabeth.
Old 04-19-16, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His real name is Kal-El.