Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who still only plays last gen consoles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 03:04 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who still only plays last gen consoles?

I am still playing my Xbox 360. I am sure I will upgrade eventually but I haven't seen much of a leap in tech. Well, not enough for me to get a One or PS4. I am still very pleased with the 360. I have had it since launch in Nov 2005 and it is still puttering along. Anyone else still in last gen?

I am sure I will need to upgrade if the next Toys to Life round of games are dropping 360, but until then or until my 360 bites the dust I am sticking with it. I still have quite the backlog of games to play. Hell, I downloaded Dead Space (Free with Gold) and it blows me away and it is 8 years old. Gorgeous game.

I have found as I get older (37) I am much easier to please with my gaming
Old 04-08-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Who still only plays last gen consoles?

If you were to play only handful of titles on the xone you would never want to go back to the 360 - well, let me expand on that a little - I love my 360 and the games I bought for it but the upgrade to xone is more than noticeable and worth it.

The division (even if you don't like the game) looks beautiful - prob the best looking game so far.
Old 04-08-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Still on my 360. I would love to upgrade to the Xbox One but it's just not a priority.
Old 04-08-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I am still playing my Xbox 360. I am sure I will upgrade eventually but I haven't seen much of a leap in tech. Well, not enough for me to get a One or PS4. I am still very pleased with the 360. I have had it since launch in Nov 2005 and it is still puttering along. Anyone else still in last gen?

I am sure I will need to upgrade if the next Toys to Life round of games are dropping 360, but until then or until my 360 bites the dust I am sticking with it. I still have quite the backlog of games to play. Hell, I downloaded Dead Space (Free with Gold) and it blows me away and it is 8 years old. Gorgeous game.

I have found as I get older (37) I am much easier to please with my gaming
No big deal playing last gen, but I assume you're claiming the X1 games with gold in the meantime.
Old 04-08-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

last 3 systems I bought?

XBOX 360
Wii
Gamecube.

Still play all 3
Old 04-08-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My grandson (12.5) has a XBox 360 and XBox One. He plays the 360 more but I don't know if it's because he has more games for the 360 than the One. He also plays his Wii on occasion.

I still have only a Wii but also play some on the computer. I keep thinking I'll get something else but the "entry fee" keeps me away. That said, I'm quite happy with the games we own for the Wii and what I have for the computer (mostly older product) so don't really feel compelled at this point to "upgrade." I still have a backlog of unopened games for both platforms.
Old 04-09-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I've actually been going further back than just last gen lately. Been really enjoying NES stuff as of late. I also still play my One and 360 though too.
Old 04-09-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Me. I still have enough unbeaten games for the 360 (and a few Wii) that I haven't felt the need to upgrade. At some point I'll need to buy a new system to play Arkham knight.
Old 04-09-16, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Still on my 360. I would love to upgrade to the Xbox One but it's just not a priority.
This. I'm still trying to knock down that list of unfinished games for all the big 3 consoles from the last gen.

Saying that... I've already played and beat MGS5 on a PS4, my friend has a PS4 and he let me borrow it.

It's foolish to think the leap isn't there. It really is. It's fucking wild. Just like every console gen as it moves forward. The leap is very noticeable.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-09-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-09-16, 09:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Still playing my SNES and lately playing Final Fantasy VII on my PSOne.
Old 04-09-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Still have and play games on my PS3, don't know when or if I'll upgrade to a PS4.
Old 04-09-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm still on my 360 and older systems. Graphics have certainly improved in the current generation, but gameplay is basically the same as last generation.
Old 04-09-16, 10:08 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I don't really see the need to jump to the 5200 when I still have plenty of great games for the 2600.

Also...

The main reasons I finally went PS4 from PS3 last fall were 1. to play with friends who made the leap back in 2013 and 2. it was finally at a price I could afford after I saved up for it. There are games I have for the PS3 that I'll probably never really play again and never gave a good chance in the first place, which is too bad. And there are some I've returned to here and there. But the PS4 is pretty nice.
Old 04-10-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If it wasn't for the social component of gaming I could definitely still be rocking the PS3/360.
Old 04-10-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I'm still on my 360 and older systems. Graphics have certainly improved in the current generation, but gameplay is basically the same as last generation.
Far Cry and Halo are basically Goldeneye so why bother upgrading from an N64? Mario 3D Land is basically Super Mario Bros. so don't upgrade that NES just yet.

Gameplay doesn't go through radical changes from generation to generation unless you're talking Gamecube to Wii to WiiU. Or even Xbox to Kinect, which is kind of absurd.
Old 04-11-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I still have my 360 but mainly on the PS4 with the latest games. There are a few games...and I mean few...I'll play on the 360. But I have several friends on my friends list that have moved on to the Xbox One. I wouldn't mind a "Blast-from-the-past" ride with some Gears of War 2/3 but I'm sure some grabbed the Rremastered Version for their XO.

I'm happy with the PS4 and as far as "Tech"...it's night & day with the games. There is no-way past gen systems could handle games like The Division, Dying Light, Infamous:Second Son, Bloodborne, The Order , Killzone, Far Cry 4 and COD III with the complex lighting, details & textures. I played Diablo on the 360 and upgrade it to the PS4 and the difference is very noticeable. And there is stuff in The Division that we've seen that just floors us.
Old 04-11-16, 08:43 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The funny thing with this new generation...I love the better graphics but as a person who plays on PC a lot it was not that big of a deal. For me it is more important how smooth the game is and load times....and actually this generation seems to take longer to load games. I don't see how a game like Bloodborne would be any less of a game if I had played it on my 360...and if load times were better I probably would have preferred it.
Old 04-11-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm still using my 360 and PS3. A few months ago I hooked up my original Xbox for my son, and he's been playing that more than anything lately. The only next gen game that I had to play so far was Fallout 4, and I ended up just playing it on my PC.
Old 04-11-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I only have a PS3. I'll be sticking with it until I get through my backlog, which could be years. I imagine once Sony stops putting out PS+ games for the PS3, I'll start looking more seriously at the PS4. I don't play online, so it doesn't matter when I pick up a new game to play.
Old 04-11-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not giving up my PS3 because NCAA Football 14. Plus my kids love the more kid friendly library of stuff on my PS3 and Wii.
Old 04-11-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

I switch back and forth between my 360, PS3, PS4 and One. Just depends on what I'm playing, still have quite a few unplayed/unfinished games for the last gen consoles. Lately most of my gaming has switched between my PS4 and Xbox360.
Old 04-11-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Gameplay doesn't go through radical changes from generation to generation unless you're talking Gamecube to Wii to WiiU. Or even Xbox to Kinect, which is kind of absurd.
There certainly are paradigm-shifting changes, we just haven't seen one in a while. 2D to 3D was huge and offline to online was huge, but those two are probably the last major innovations in gaming. I don't count things like waggle controls as being paradigm-shifters, as most games are worse with those added on.

That is what I meant by gameplay being basically the same. Current gen games play the same as previous gen games for the most part, just with a shinier coat of paint. I need something game-changing to re-excite me about gaming and get me to shell out a bunch of money. Until then, I'm fine in the previous generation. I've barely made a dent in the 72 free GWG games.

I'm hoping that VR (Oculus/HTC/PSVR) will be the major change that I seek, but for now, gaming is in a time of doldrums to me.
Old 04-11-16, 03:02 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I still have my 360 but mainly on the PS4 with the latest games. There are a few games...and I mean few...I'll play on the 360. But I have several friends on my friends list that have moved on to the Xbox One. I wouldn't mind a "Blast-from-the-past" ride with some Gears of War 2/3 but I'm sure some grabbed the Rremastered Version for their XO.

I'm happy with the PS4 and as far as "Tech"...it's night & day with the games. There is no-way past gen systems could handle games like The Division, Dying Light, Infamous:Second Son, Bloodborne, The Order , Killzone, Far Cry 4 and COD III with the complex lighting, details & textures. I played Diablo on the 360 and upgrade it to the PS4 and the difference is very noticeable. And there is stuff in The Division that we've seen that just floors us.
Maybe it just has to be seen in person, because i watch alot of vids of Xbone and PS4 games and I don't see any that wow me. At least not the "Wow" I had when I moved from PSX/N64 to the Dreamcast back in the day.
Old 04-12-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Maybe it just has to be seen in person, because i watch alot of vids of Xbone and PS4 games and I don't see any that wow me. At least not the "Wow" I had when I moved from PSX/N64 to the Dreamcast back in the day.
Way back when the Nex gen consoles hit the Devs behind Killzone: Shadowfall did some sort of "Tech Demo" that the game engine was developed. It was really cool because they would show "normal" scenes and then the same scene with the applied parts of the Game Engine. Think there was something similar with Infamous: Second Son. Both games were new and really made a difference with the Nex Gen (PS4 in this case) as Show Stoppers. Battlefield wasn't no slouch either but those two stuck out with the complex lighting & textures that I had not seen on consoles.

I found it here...and this is back in May 2013.....

Infamous: Second Son from Sucker Punch Tech Demo.....

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-12-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We have a WiiU and a PS3, the WiiU gets played way more than the PS3 but both are vastly outdone by my wife's Steam machine. She plays either that or her 3DS.

I probably play less 2 hours a week of console video games and back in the 80's and 90s you couldn't tear me away from a game.
I do have a couple iOS games I play, but they don't take much attention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.