Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Looking for a specific type of game

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a specific type of game

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a game that could have some specific features. I guess the game would fall on the RPG category. These would be the 4 criteria:

- open world like Skyrim/Elder Scrolls
- with character creation
- having limitations in the beginning of the game, like, you can't get full of gear in a matter of minutes, you can't carry tons of different objects. In other words you start of in a humble sort of way, with almost nothing, and slowly, you can get your first weapon or something like this. That would make it more immersive, slow, and adventure like.
- and easy to understand skills and stats, just a list of features that increase if you're doing the appropriate actions (not these hard-to-grasp charts of skill points)

Is there a game like that upthere? The closest things I found where Risen, Skyrim and Two Worlds II.

Thanks for the help!

Greetings
Old 04-03-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Looking for a specific type of game

If you don't mind playing a last-gen game, Dragons Dogma sounds like it checks off on all the things you are looking for (and is a good game)

What about the Dragon Age games? I'm guessing if you're an RPG fan you must surely have played those
Old 04-03-16, 02:30 PM

Isn't Dragon's Dogma based a little bit on hack and slash combat by chance? Thanks for the recommendation anyway

I think the Dragon Age games are not exactly open world.
Old 04-03-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

The Dragon Age games are open world especially 1 & 3.
Old 04-04-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does Dark Souls not fit this description? Or are you looking for something that isn't action-based?
Old 04-04-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Since you didn't specify that it had to be fantasy, the Saints Row games fit #1, #2 and #4 perfectly and somewhat fit #3. Far Cry 3 & 4 and the Crackdown games fit everything except #2.
Old 04-04-16, 09:57 AM

Drexl:
I'm defintely looking for something more rpg-ish, and swords and armor based (to maxfisher, but thanks anyway for mentioning these games).

The main feature I'm looking for really is to have a slow gear progression. The common thing that I find in most of the games, is that you get geared up pretty fast (like in skyrim, being equipped very early on with a full set of equiment). It would be better if you just could use a basic sword (even a wooden stick lol) and no armor in the beginning, and being kind of limited as far as capacities go. And then, through the course of the game, make steady slow progresses, depending on what you do.

But then the character creation and the skyrim-like open-word environment would be cool too.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-04-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty much every game out there is going to get you to Armor pretty fast, albeit very weak armor, mostly for aesthetic purposes.

Unless you plan on jumping into some old MMOs, like EverQuest 2, Asheron's Call, or Guild Wars... or something.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-04-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Pretty much every game out there is going to get you to Armor pretty fast, albeit very weak armor, mostly for aesthetic purposes.

Unless you plan on jumping into some old MMOs, like EverQuest 2, Asheron's Call, or Guild Wars... or something.
Oh, are these slower when it comes to having gear, like I mentioned?
And is the combat mode like WoW, where you point and target-click someone to start battling?