Reload this Page >

Playstation Vue vs Sling TV

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 03-24-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of March 2016, which one is the best?

Let me get to the point. Cord cutter here. Walking Dead fan, bought the season in Amazon Prime, and watch the new episodes the day after they are aired. Picture is awesome. And no commercials!

But, sometimes is hard to wait. Because TWD and the internet don't mix, aka spoilers.

So, AMC. I know it's available in both. I want a trial of course. If they have East Coast, for me that I'm in California, even better.

TIA!
Old 03-25-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Playstation Vue vs Sling TV

Sling Pros: Cheaper, faster interface, supports more devices, good tho inconsistent quality.

Cons: More likely to drop during popular broadcasts, poor VOD setup, no DVR

Vue Pros: Feature rich, cloud DVR and VOD funtionality, more channels, more consistent performance and quality

Vue Cons: More expensive, occasionally confusing interface, limited device support
Old 03-25-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

I dropped Sling after not making it thru a Walking (or Fear) Dead episode without it dropping out at least once. Sling's support solution was ridiculous, uninstall and reinstall the app. Without DVR capabilities in the service how exactly is that supposed to work without missing part of the episode?

If they are going to sell themselves as a replacement for Cable TV then it damn well better be as reliable.
Old 03-26-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can currently get a one week free trial of Vue. I just started it a few hours ago, so far it's been fine.
Old 03-27-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Does Vue give you a west coast feed if you are on the west coast? That's what I didn't like with Sling, all my tv showtimes were EST
Old 03-27-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm trying to get a Vue trial.

I wonder about the feed too. Being in California it would be awesome to get the East Coast feed. Because o go to bed early.
Old 04-06-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to close on here. I got Vue. It actually works fine. I like that you can be in one room watching a show in the PS4, and another person can be watching another show in a PS3, or a chromecast.

I didn't like that you don't have a proper DVR. When we had cable, we liked to start watching the shows 20 minutes after they started, so we could FF all the commercials and finish at the same time as regular programming.

Vue has DVR, but you can start watching whenever you want a live show, but you can't FF.

I will cancel on Friday, but whenever I decide to get back to full TV, I think Vue is a really good alternative. The prices isn't that bad right now.
Old 04-06-16, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Just to close on here. I got Vue. It actually works fine. I like that you can be in one room watching a show in the PS4, and another person can be watching another show in a PS3, or a chromecast.

I didn't like that you don't have a proper DVR. When we had cable, we liked to start watching the shows 20 minutes after they started, so we could FF all the commercials and finish at the same time as regular programming.

Vue has DVR, but you can start watching whenever you want a live show, but you can't FF.

I will cancel on Friday, but whenever I decide to get back to full TV, I think Vue is a really good alternative. The prices isn't that bad right now.
This must be determined by the networks - I've started both Better Call Saul and Walking Dead episodes 20-30 minutes after air time and have been able to FF through commercials.
Old 04-07-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually tried with TWD this past Sunday. And when I tried to FF it showed the FF icon disabled.
Old 04-11-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I actually tried with TWD this past Sunday. And when I tried to FF it showed the FF icon disabled.
I found this info:
http://community.us.playstation.com/...5335423/page/2
on shows that have NOT been DVR'ed and are listed as CATCH UP you can't fast forward, but as episodes actually air (meaning aired AFTER you added them to your favorites) you should be able to skip the commercials using the fastforward, unless you are watching an ON DEMAND channel like Fox, ABC, NBC for the Nationwide rollout. atleast that has been my experience
I'm wondering if Raul3 was using the CATCH UP feature for these shows, instead of adding them to MY SHOWS.
Old 04-11-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you have to wait until the episode is done, to watch from the DVR. Then you can FF.

If you watch an episode that already started, but it's not finished, then you can't FF.
Old 04-15-16, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Raul3 you had mentioned that you were on the West Coast and hoped that you could get East Coast feeds to watch programming earlier. Can you confirm that you get East Coast feeds with Vue? Or are you stuck with West Coast feed times if you live in California? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 04-15-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it may depend by channel. But for AMC I was able to watch The Walking Dead live at 6 pm Pacific Time.
So yeah, I can confirm that, at least some channels, are the East Coast feed.