Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Knocks: Training Camp With The Los Angeles Rams (HBO)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 09:54 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Hard Knocks is going Hollywood.

The league announced Wednesday that the Los Angeles Rams will be the focus in the 11th season of HBO's acclaimed documentary series that delves into one NFL team's training camp. The first episode will air Aug. 9.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times first reported the news.

"It's clear both in Southern California and nationwide there's significant interest in the return of the Rams to Los Angeles, and it seemed like a very good year to give people a look at our franchise and our players," Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said, per Farmer.

"We have one of the youngest teams, a lot of talented players -- back-to-back rookies of the year -- that we want people to start to get exposure to. What better way to do that than Hard Knocks?"

The news comes two months after NFL owners voted to endorse the Rams' relocation. Angelenos are welcoming the organization back home after 21 years in St. Louis.

Jeff Fisher's Rams club is the first NFC West outfit to be featured on the show. In accordance with an NFL rule passed in 2013, the Rams, Saints, Bears, Bills, Chargers, Jaguars and Raiders were the seven teams eligible to appear on Hard Knocks this year.

Bills coach Rex Ryan suggested during Tuesday's AFC Coaches Breakfast at the NFL Annual Meeting that final decision came down to the Rams and Saints.

The NFL has tacitly acknowledged that the show's range and power are invaluable assets to professional football, regardless of any perceived invasion of privacy. For all of the coaches worried about losing a competitive advantage to prying eyes, the last six teams to appear on Hard Knocks have matched or improved their won-loss record in the season that followed.

The Rams will be interesting to track this summer as they transition to their new home. Yet to set up shop, they are expected to hold spring practices north of Los Angeles in Oxnard and move south to UC-Irvine for training camp before possibly settling on the Thousand Oaks area for a temporary in-season facility.

Casual football fans will be introduced to dynamic power back Todd Gurley and ultra-disruptive defensive tackle Aaron Donald, a pair of superstars with the potential to be the best at their respective positions for the next half-decade. Hardcore fans will watch with a jaundiced eye as the team's brass continues to make a case for Case as the starting quarterback.

Beyond those topics, we can expect the now classic training-camp storylines, including the lovable underdog, coach tantrums, position battles and rookie hazing.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...on-hard-knocks

We should have seen this coming. The Rams are back in Los Angeles, and it's only right to put them center stage on the best football television show of all time.

The NFL announced Wednesday that HBO's Hard Knocks will feature the Rams during their first full training camp back in Los Angeles. Here are six things we're looking forward to following:

1. Adapting to Los Angeles: The NFL is inherently a transitory existence. Hard Knocks always captures this well, but this season will be a unique look at what happens when an entire organization is upended. The Rams are the first NFL team to move since Rams coach Jeff Fisher's Titans moved from Houston to Nashville in 1997. The complications are endless and should be fascinating to watch.

L.A. can be a particularly dizzying place to move to. There is no center and there are countless options of where to live, although few options will be conveniently located for the Rams. Their proposed practice facility, for instance, is not close to the stadium. Add it all up and this will be an inside look at how more than 80 players, coaches, support staff and administration all relocate across the country together with their families while still pursuing the playoffs. Just in case that wasn't challenging enough, they'll do it with television cameras rolling.

2. Pressure on Fisher, Snead: Since 1970, only two NFL head coaches have produced four straight losing seasons to start their tenure and made it to a fifth season. Fisher is one of them. The other example is instructive. Dave Shula was brought back for a fifth season with the Bengals in 1996 and was fired only seven games into the next season.

Fisher should have more stability than that, but there's no denying this is a crucial year for Fisher and general manager Les Snead. They took over the Rams after one of the worst five-year runs in the sport's history, and immediately made them respectable. But you can't remain perpetually 7-9 forever. Most teams moving to a new town would have a honeymoon period. But Fisher and Snead's TV-ready mane have to perform in 2016.

3. Quarterback battle: This is your close up, Case Keenum. The Rams have talked up Keenum throughout the offseason as a legitimate option at quarterback because they clearly don't feel Nick Foles can cut it. Foles isn't a lock to even be on the roster in August and they also have last year's third-round pick, Sean Mannion. Perhaps a rookie will be thrown into the mix, but I'm looking forward to a world where Keenum is essentially a reality television star.

4. Hello, Aaron Donald: Last season of Hard Knocks occasionally felt like a workout video hosted by J.J. Watt. This year, we get to learn a little more about the guy who might just have out-played Watt in 2015. To get taken seriously as the best defensive player in the league, Donald needs to do it year after year. And it won't hurt for America to get to know him a little better.

5. Remember Gregg Williams? Perhaps NFL Films doesn't want to put the Rams' defensive coordinator in the spotlight just four seasons after the NFL suspended him for a year for his role in the Saints' bounty scandal. But he's undeniably one of the most colorful and compelling members of the Rams organization. His coaching style is as aggressive as the Rams' defense. There's a reason why the Rams are such fierce tacklers, and Williams helped most of the team's secondary get paid huge bucks this offseason.

6. Todd Gurley. So many of the best Hard Knocks breakout stars are the guys you've never heard of, like Charles James with the Texans last year. But it's also cool to see a young star on the precipice. As great as Donald is, the Rams would love for Gurley to emerge as the face of the franchise. He's going to be the centerpiece of this offense and should be a big part of the series.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...on-hard-knocks

Will air beginning 8/9/16.

This should be a pretty decent season.

Last edited by dex14; 03-23-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp With The Los Angeles Rams (HBO)

That is an awesome decision.
Old 03-23-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Demoff is such a two-faced weasel.
Old 03-23-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The 1st time I'll be watching Hard Knocks.
Old 03-23-16, 12:11 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

^ Same here.
Old 03-23-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a good decision, I agree.
Old 03-23-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

They don't have any good personalities on the team anymore now that long and Laurinaitis are gone.
Old 03-23-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The 1st time I'll be watching Hard Knocks.
I've watched every season. it's usually a lot of fun.

Should have an extra level of interest this season with the big move.

Good choice.
Old 03-23-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

The ratings are going to suffer if they have to compete with the Olympics in Rio.
Old 03-23-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The ratings are going to suffer if they have to compete with the Olympics in Rio.
It's only airing 5 episodes and is on HBO where ratings don't matter and this is a co-production with NFL Films. Plus, Hard Knocks and all HBO original shows re-air multiple times throughout the week.
Old 05-12-16, 07:54 PM

Old 05-12-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks good. I'm excited to see it later this summer.
Old 08-09-16, 06:36 AM

Premieres tonight, 8/9/16. 5 episodes.
Old 08-10-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Tonight was the 1st time I've ever watched an episode of Hard Knocks from start to finish.

Not bad. Found it pretty entertaining. The Rams seem to have some characters that will make interesting TV. Although Fisher's personality is very laid back. Found Todd Gurley to be entertaining.

I when Fisher cut Deon Long because he was caught with a girl in his dorm. Was surprised how really laid back Long was about it and accepted it and left. I see he already got another job with the Eagles.

I loved seeing Chris Weinke curse a shit storm at Jared Goff.

Aside from Fisher and Goff, seems like a lot of the players featured and their families are in culture shock with California. I liked hearing a few of them talk about the LA Coliseum and have no clue about it's history and significance in LA.

BTW, they really turn around these episodes pretty fast. I saw Fisher calling Nick Foles to release him and that happened less than 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-10-16, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The process of cutting a player seems like it'd be grueling... but Fisher made it seem so nonchalant. Pretty amazing how 'easy come / easy go' everyone is about the process.
Old 08-11-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I look forward to this series every year. I was surprised that there weren't any really attractive WAGS in the spotlight in this episode, but there hasn't really been any shown since Tyler Starr's really good looking girlfriend during the Falcons season.
Old 08-11-16, 10:05 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

First time watching this show and I enjoyed it. I'm glad it's only 5 episodes. Not sure how much they could draw this out and keep it from being repetitive. Side note to self: visit Montana.
Old 08-12-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
i look forward to this series every year. I was surprised that there weren't any really attractive wags in the spotlight in this episode, but there hasn't really been any shown since tyler starr's really good looking girlfriend during the falcons season.
wags?
Old 08-12-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
wags?
I had to google it.

WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to Wives And Girlfriends of high-profile professional athletes. The term may also be used in the singular form, "WAG", to refer to a specific female partner / life partner.
Old 08-16-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive watched most of these hard knocks, and they are good fun. This one they didnt focus too much on any bubble rookies early, maybe because they've got Goff as a rookie.

Doesnt know the sun rises in the east, wow, bad sign for the rams for this guy..

Also checking out the all or nothing series on amazon, love ariens in this...
Old 08-16-16, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Ive watched most of these hard knocks, and they are good fun. This one they didnt focus too much on any bubble rookies early, maybe because they've got Goff as a rookie.

Doesnt know the sun rises in the east, wow, bad sign for the rams for this guy..

Also checking out the all or nothing series on amazon, love ariens in this...
Yeah. And I didn't get into Cal out of High School? Maybe your program is a little over-ranked academically. Hell, I only went to the #8 public university and I knew that!
Old 08-16-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to Wives And Girlfriends of high-profile professional athletes. The term may also be used in the singular form, "WAG", to refer to a specific female partner / life partner.
Or a reality series on E!

No way Jeff Fisher threw that line if a girl is in your dorm room next year a 3 month old will be watching you at practice.

A producer must have fed him that line lol.

As a 49ers fan I wished they picked a AFC team.
Old 08-17-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Episode 2 last night was solid. Really impressed by how fast they turn around these episodes. It showcased some camp all the way to last weeks preseason opener against the Cowboys. They literally shoot these episodes the week prior they air.

Poor Brian Randolph. That sucked that he blew out his knee in the preseason opener.

I loved how the coaches were dropping F bombs during halftime of that game like they were in the NFC championship.

The free agent wide receiver they signed Austin Hill is the son of former Rams WR David Hill, who is the brother of long-time LA sportscaster Jim Hill. Only local people here is So. Cal are probably familiar with Jim Hill. Austin's daughter is a cute little girl.

Fisher should have actually reprimanded the 2 knuckleheads who rode the dune buggie and crashed it. They could have gotten seriously hurt.
Old 08-17-16, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Episode 2 last night was solid. Really impressed by how fast they turn around these episodes. It showcased some camp all the way to last weeks preseason opener against the Cowboys. They literally shoot these episodes the week prior they air.
This is how they always have done it. I think sometimes they are editing it and putting final touches a few hours before it goes to air. Sometimes they even have had news that has broke the day before or day of airing.
Old 08-17-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.