Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 08:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Fresh off her first Oscar nomination for “The Hateful Eight,” Jennifer Jason Leigh is in early talks to join Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez and Tessa Thompson in Alex Garland‘s “Annihilation,” multiple individuals familiar with the Paramount project have told TheWrap.

Paramount had no comment, while representatives for the actress did not respond to requests for comment.

Scott Rudin is producing the adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer’s novel, which follows a group of women who take on a dangerous mission where the laws of nature don’t apply.

The group consists of an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist who serves as the group’s de facto leader, and a biologist, who serves as the narrator.

There’s no deal in place yet for Leigh, though she does have the offer and appears eager to join the all-female ensemble after working with an all-male ensemble on “The Hateful Eight.”

Leigh is no stranger to working with Rudin, as the two of them produced “Greenberg” together. Rudin also produced “Margot at the Wedding,” in which Leigh starred opposite Nicole Kidman.

The actress is in the midst of a career renaissance thanks to her acclaimed voice work in Charlie Kaufman‘s Paramount release “Anomalisa” and her bloody-good turn as Daisy Domergue in Quentin Tarantino‘s “The Hateful Eight.” She next stars alongside Bella Thorne in “Amityville: The Awakening,” and she’s also playing Lady Bird Johnson opposite Woody Harrelson in Rob Reiner‘s political drama “LBJ.”

Meanwhile, British novelist and filmmaker Garland is coming off the success of “Ex Machina.”

Leigh, who is also gearing up to shoot David Lynch‘s new “Twin Peaks” series, is represented by CAA, Untitled Entertainment and Sloane, Offer, Weber & Dern.
http://www.thewrap.com/jennifer-jaso...ion-exclusive/
Old 02-11-16, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

I'm game for more Garland. Dredd, Sunshine, Ex Machina, etc. The guy has work that I like.
Old 02-11-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Usually Hollywood doesn't give the time of day to women in their 50's. Good to see JJL back in there, she's a hell of a good actor.
Old 02-11-16, 09:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

JJL the only one I hate really. Even when she was in her 20's...30's...40's...and still hating her in her 50's. But yeah, mas Alex Garland is a good thing.
Old 02-11-16, 09:15 AM
Banned

Loooking at her filmography... I've only seen her in Hateful 8, Palindromes, and Backdraft. Don't remember Backdraft at all aside from Russell being in it.

And Palindromes? Fuck. I hate that movie. I don't think it's bad... I think... but it's just got shit that I don't personally find of interest to me. I get it but I just don't jive w/ it.
Old 02-11-16, 09:19 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Some other great movies of hers (in my opinion anyway):

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Rush
Short Cuts
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Machinist
eXistenZ
Road to Perdition
Kansas City
Georgia
Dolores Claiborne
Synecdoche, NY
Old 03-30-16, 08:28 AM

Star Wars: The Force Awakens star Oscar Isaac is officially on board Alex Garland’s ANNIHILATION. Isaac joins Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, and Tessa Thompson in the forthcoming sci-fi thriller. Garland is set to direct his own script, adapted from the first novel of the ‘Southern Reach’ trilogy by science fiction author Jeff VanderMeer.

The story centers around a biologist (Portman) who, in seeking answers to her husband’s tragic disappearance volunteers for a government expedition into an area sealed off as an environmental disaster zone. What she discovers, however, is pristine wilderness, and a mysterious dark force within it.

The film is being produced by Scott Rudin through his Scott Rudin Productions, and Andrew MacDonald and Allon Reich through their DNA Films. Eli Bush will oversee for Rudin, while Alana Mayo and Nathan Samdahl are the studio executives for Paramount. Paramount and Rudin optioned the rights to the trilogy – which is comprised of the books Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance – back in 2013, prior to its publication in 2014.

Annihilation re-teams Isaac with Garland after their wildly successful collaboration in last summer’s Ex Machina. The film, which was Garland’s directorial debut, was well-received with audiences and received rave reviews from critics – drawing particular attention for Garland’s writing and directing, as well as Alicia Vikander’s break-out performance. Ex Machina scored Garland an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay, and earned a surprise win for Best Visual Effects.

Isaac’s other past credits include the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis and J.C. Chandor’s A Most Violent Year. He’ll next be seen in Bryan Singer’s X-Men: Apocalypse and alongside Christian Bale in The Promise. In 2017, he’ll reprise his role as Poe Dameron in Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Annihilation will begin shooting later this spring in London.

Isaac is repped by UTA and Inspire Entertainment.
http://www.tracking-board.com/exclus...-annihilation/
Old 03-30-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Isaac and Portman might have some interesting chats on set
Old 03-30-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EddieMoney

Rush
Short Cuts
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Machinist
eXistenZ
Road to Perdition
Kansas City
Georgia
Dolores Claiborne
Synecdoche, NY
Shame on you for leaving out Last Exit to Brooklyn.
Old 03-30-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney

Rush
Short Cuts
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Machinist
eXistenZ

Road to Perdition
Kansas City
Georgia
Dolores Claiborne
Synecdoche, NY

Good shit right there.
Old 03-30-16, 10:57 AM
Banned

More Isaac is always better.
Old 03-30-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Miami Blues
Old 03-30-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm in. Garland isn't the most consistent writer but at least every movie he has been apart of has been interesting.
Old 03-30-16, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm in. Garland isn't the most consistent writer but at least every movie he has been apart of has been interesting.
For sure.
Old 03-30-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Shame on you for leaving out Flesh+Blood.
Fixed.
Old 03-30-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the first book in the trilogy, but the second and third are shit.

Curious to see what Garland does with this. Love his novel, The Beach, and Ex Machina was my favorite film last year.
Old 03-30-16, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Just this month I'm getting into reading the trilogy. Like TimeandTide, really liked the first ... didn't care for the second. I'm about 2/3 through the third. Final judgement is up in the air, but I'm liking it much more than the 2nd book (I like that we're mostly back in Area X, things are being explained a bit, and backstories are being fleshed out).

Ordinarily I'd be very skeptical of how a film adaptation would turn out. But the cast sounds great. And Alex Garland writing the script and directing is just about ideal. Ex Machina was intelligent, thought-provoking, stylish but not showy, character-driven not action-driven. That's perfect for Annihilation. Plus the book (at least the first one) has this sense of uneasy mounting tension and dread ... and Ex Machina captured a similiar feel for me.

This sounds like pretty much a done deal to happen, right? I don't want to get my hopes up, have this go into development hell, only to have some guy like McG or Michael Bay take over
Old 09-26-17, 09:26 AM

In the science fiction film Annihilation, Natalie Portman plays a scientist named Lena, who is part of an expedition tasked with exploring an area which has been taken over by a mysterious force. “[She] finds a very strange, dream-like, surrealist landscape, and goes deeper and deeper into that world, and also into that mindset,” says writer-director Alex Garland (Ex Machina). Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tuva Novotny, Gina Rodriguez, and Tessa Thompson costar as her fellow team members, while Oscar Isaac plays Portman’s husband.

One other character of note featured in the film? An alligator, as is revealed in EW’s exclusive first look photo, above. “It is their first tangible encounter with something strange,” says Garland. “The alligator has physical elements to it that should not belong on an alligator. They’re starting to get their heads around how weird the place is.”

Annihilation is based on JeffVanderMeer’s 2014 novel, the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy, which the author continued with Authority and then wrapped up with Acceptance. “I was in post-production on Ex Machina, and one of the producers of that film, Scott Rudin, called up and said, ‘I just acquired this book, I think it’s interesting and, would you take a look,'” says Garland, whose screenwriting credits also include Dredd and 28 Days Later. “I don’t finish books, or films, or anything, really, if it isn’t grabbing me for one reason. Well, I read it in a sitting. I found the atmosphere incredibly strong and I liked the kind of dream state that it created and put me in. It had all sorts of qualities that I found really interesting. I thought immediately, Yes, I’d like to try this.”

Isaac recently promised EW that Annihilation would be “very weird and very beautiful.” “That’s what we were shooting for,” says Garland. “The beauty part of it was quite important. Even when it’s grim, and something dark is happening, there’s quite an overt beauty, and we took pains to make sure that happened.”

Although the original book is part of a trilogy, Garland says he regards his film as a standalone movie. “I did once work on a film called Dredd, which I imagined to be the first part of a trilogy,” says Garland. “But it’s not something I like doing. I’d rather work on a story that I felt was self-contained rather than one that sort of had a ‘dot-dot-dot’ at the end. I think that provokes a sort of instant, understandable, cynicism. We sense the money grab and I feel that pollutes the story. So, right from the get-go, I did not think of this as being part of a trilogy; I thought of it as being just a single, self-contained movie. If other people wanted to do that, that would be fine. That’s none of my business. But from my point of view, it’s just one.”

Annihilation — a Paramount Pictures and Skydance presentation — is in theaters Feb. 23, 2018.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/26/anni...tainmentweekly
Old 09-27-17, 09:08 AM

Re: Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufaDurSCKOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-27-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Looks interesting. I'm there.
Old 09-27-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks good.
Old 09-27-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup, I'll be there.
Old 10-22-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Is there even a real movie poster for this?

I couldn’t find one.
Old 10-22-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks intriguing. Nice to see Portman doing something more commercial again.
Old 10-22-17, 05:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It looks like Tarkovsky's film Stalker reimagined as a high tech, guns a blazin', action sci-fi.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.