Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Modern Disney Princesses have less dialogue compared male counterparts in new survey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Modern Disney Princesses have less dialogue compared male counterparts in new survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Those sexist Disney movies.

Those princess movies are bad role models for little girls

Despite having key roles in a number of today's Disney princess films, new research indicates women characters speak less than their male counterparts.

According to the Washington Post, linguists Carmen Fought and Karen Eisenhauer analyzed all of the dialogue from the Disney princess franchise and discovered men have more speaking lines.

The report reveals that in The Little Mermaid, men speak 68 percent of the time. Additionally, men speak 71 percent of the time in Beauty and the Beast, 76 percent in Pocahontas, 77 percent in Mulan and a whopping 90 percent in Aladdin. Believe it or not, men even have more lines of dialogue in Frozen, speaking 59 percent of the time in a film centered around two princesses.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/...-say-linguists

Old 01-31-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Modern Disney Princesses have less dialogue compared male counterparts in new sur

Seems like clickbait. At first glance it seems like a shock, but all the supporting cast members are male so it kinda makes sense.

First, I don't consider Jasmine the lead of a film called 'Aladdin.' Second, The Little Mermaid is a strange one to put at the top of the list. She's fucking mute for 1/3rd of the film. Then the supporting cast, Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, Triton, Eric, Eric's butler, the Chef... etc are all male. Ursula is the only other supporting character that is female.

It's the same for the other flicks. Cast for Beauty & the Beast? Beast, Gaston, Maurice, Lumiere, Cogsworth, Lefou and Chip. The only other females are Ms. Potts and the feather duster.

Also sidekicks overwhelmingly tend to be male. Olaf, Jaq & Gus, Dwarfs, Mushu, etc.

A more accurate comparison, IMO, would be the female lead to the male lead. i.e. does Flynn Rider have more lines than Rapunzel? John Smith and Pocahontas?

Where does Sleeping Beauty rank? The cast is 90% female with Aurora, the fairy Godmothers and Maleficent.
Old 01-31-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Modern Disney Princesses have less dialogue compared male counterparts in new sur

Villain characters tend to be male as well. We surely need to pass a law giving more dialogue to Disney princesses...bringing balance to the Force. I recommend bypassing Congress and immediately issuing a Presidential Executive Order to correct this miscarriage of justice.
Old 01-31-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Drama is driven by conflict and it's harder to come up with story lines for princesses who usually just get pampered. Maybe if they pick more fights with Uber drivers you could write some interesting scripts for them.
Old 01-31-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Leia is a Disney Princess now, right?
Old 01-31-16, 08:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That bitch Ariel doesn't say shit for like half the movie.
Old 01-31-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to write dialogue for a sleeping beauty.
Old 02-01-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Seems like clickbait. At first glance it seems like a shock, but all the supporting cast members are male so it kinda makes sense.

First, I don't consider Jasmine the lead of a film called 'Aladdin.' Second, The Little Mermaid is a strange one to put at the top of the list. She's fucking mute for 1/3rd of the film. Then the supporting cast, Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, Triton, Eric, Eric's butler, the Chef... etc are all male. Ursula is the only other supporting character that is female.

It's the same for the other flicks. Cast for Beauty & the Beast? Beast, Gaston, Maurice, Lumiere, Cogsworth, Lefou and Chip. The only other females are Ms. Potts and the feather duster.

Also sidekicks overwhelmingly tend to be male. Olaf, Jaq & Gus, Dwarfs, Mushu, etc.

A more accurate comparison, IMO, would be the female lead to the male lead. i.e. does Flynn Rider have more lines than Rapunzel? John Smith and Pocahontas?

Where does Sleeping Beauty rank? The cast is 90% female with Aurora, the fairy Godmothers and Maleficent.
Old 02-01-16, 09:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Disney films tend to be more about the antics of the supporting cast while the titular hero has less to do and say by virtue of their role as hero. Tarzan, Simba, and Quasimodo probably speak the least in their respective films as well. Disney has always relied on funny supporting characters to do the heavy lifting.
Old 02-01-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

They are addressing "speaking lines" but what about songs? They are part of the story and the women sing a lot more than the guys.
Old 02-01-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The lead character in most Disney movies is supposed to be on an adventure, so obviously that would primarily involve other characters talking to her.
Old 02-01-16, 10:33 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd fuck the shit out of Elsa.
Old 02-01-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I'd fuck the shit out of Elsa.
Old 02-01-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They are addressing "speaking lines" but what about songs? They are part of the story and the women sing a lot more than the guys.
This probably has a lot to do with their numbers. In Disney musicals the songs are basically more dialogue. That and most villain/supporting characters are male.
Old 02-01-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It teaches girls a valuable lesson. If they're hot they do not have to talk. Let the man do all the talking.
Old 02-01-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd fuck the shit out of...
Amy Adams as Princess Giselle in Enchanted.
Old 02-01-16, 12:44 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Amy Adams as Princess Giselle in Enchanted.
Her too. And it'd be a really hard, crazy, almost violent type bang.
Old 02-01-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Her too. And it'd be a really hard, crazy, almost violent type bang.
I'd be right there with you. Although in the 70's "classy" way, not the current gonzo type of DP way.
Old 02-01-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I think you nailed the issue right here - why are so many of the support cast members male? Why does The Little Mermaid have zero female friends? Why doesn't Belle have any either? Why are the sidekicks almost always male? Isn't that weird?

Tangled and Brave are noted as exceptions and both of those movies have "mother" characters for their female protagonists.

From the original article:

A generational gap divides Disney’s princess franchise. After 1959’s “Sleeping Beauty,” it took 30 years for the studio to produce another animated princess feature.
Graph spoilered for size:
Spoiler:

In the 30 year gap, Disney died and lots of societal things happen. Why did they used to get so much of the dialogue? Even when the movie is about them (Mulan, Princess and the Frog, Pocahontas) they get short-changed. That's bizarre.

“There's one isolated princess trying to get someone to marry her, but there are no women doing any other things,” Fought says. “There are no women leading the townspeople to go against the Beast, no women bonding in the tavern together singing drinking songs, women giving each other directions, or women inventing things. Everybody who’s doing anything else, other than finding a husband in the movie, pretty much, is a male.”

The older princess films had fewer speaking roles in total, and more gender balance. But “The Little Mermaid” pioneered a new style of Disney movie, modeled after Broadway musicals, with their large ensemble casts. As the number of characters grew, so did the gender inequality.

"My best guess is that it's carelessness, because we're so trained to think that male is the norm,” says Eisenhauer, a graduate student at North Carolina State. “So when you want to add a shopkeeper, that shopkeeper is a man. Or you add a guard, that guard is a man. I think that's just really ingrained in our culture.”
Old 02-01-16, 05:52 PM
Banned

"My best guess is that it's carelessness, because we're so trained to think that male is the norm,” says Eisenhauer, a graduate student at North Carolina State. “So when you want to add a shopkeeper, that shopkeeper is a man. Or you add a guard, that guard is a man. I think that's just really ingrained in our culture.”
1)Most of these films take place in the past when female guards and shopkeepers would not be the norm.

2)Pocahontas is a quiet character in every version of the story.

3)As I said before the heroine has to maintain a certain dignity, so its the supporting characters that do the heavy lifting in regards to comic action, story exposition, action that helps characterize the virtues of the heroine, etc.

4)More times than not female characters are not given any female friends because, being heroines, they must stand out from the norm. The unique virtues of Ariel or Belle would be less apparent if they were one of many females who lived under the sea and collected human tchotchkies or were one of a cadre of women who dreamed of leaving their provincial town. The heroine must be alone. Early versions of Star Wars showed Luke interacting with several peers and friends...they were all cut out.

5)Disney animators have always shown uncertainty when it comes to animating full sized human characters. That's why Dwarfs and mice and Good-fairys hog up all the screen time in films like Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Despite improving their technique over the years the animators still minimize human characters' screen time by either turning them into llamas or frogs or drawing them in an extremely caricatured manner (like Lilo). So taking Princess and the Frog as an example, not only does the female not talk much (for reasons mentioned above), but the amount of time speaking in human form is even less. Is this due to Disney viewing woman as subhuman? Of course not, it's a byproduct of their animation techniques. As is most of the other observed phenomenon in this study.

Final verdict: I despise when people who don't know anything about cinema aim their sights on the field. Stick to women's studies and sociology, you know nothing about cinema.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-01-16 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It really isn't weird. Disney movies usually run in a compact 90 minute or less runtime and are about Princesses seeking their Prince or some variation there of.

It may be old fashioned, but it sells. Until they have some lesbian princess action going. Or one where the princess decides she don't need no man.
Old 02-01-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It really isn't weird. Disney movies usually run in a compact 90 minute or less runtime and are about Princesses seeking their Prince or some variation there of.

It may be old fashioned, but it sells. Until they have some lesbian princess action going. Or one where the princess decides she don't need no man.
Except when Frozen comes out, stars two women, isn't about seeking their prince and blows all the doors off at the box office.

"Lesbians" are not the only way to have a story with a princess and other female characters. There is no reason that one of Ariel's animal friends couldn't have been female. Or two. Or all three of them.

The movies are written by people who seem to be choosing to put men in as characters more often than women. I don't think anyone would look at Beauty and the Beast and say NO WAY THAT WOMAN WOULD BE DRINKING IN A BAR FUCK THIS MOVIE. Especially when that entire film is about marrying your abuser
Old 02-01-16, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
Except when Frozen comes out, stars two women, isn't about seeking their prince and blows all the doors off at the box office.

"Lesbians" are not the only way to have a story with a princess and other female characters. There is no reason that one of Ariel's animal friends couldn't have been female. Or two. Or all three of them.

The movies are written by people who seem to be choosing to put men in as characters more often than women. I don't think anyone would look at Beauty and the Beast [/B]and say NO WAY THAT WOMAN WOULD BE DRINKING IN A BAR FUCK THIS MOVIE. Especially when that entire film is about marrying your abuser
I covered this above. Giving Ariel friends would diminish her uniqueness as a heroine. If Luke had a bunch of similarly aged buddies that he hung out with on Tatoine it would undermine his role as hero.

Let's look at Little Mermaid a little further regarding your assertion they could have been female:
Scuttle - is literally a bird brained idiot. Would feminists really prefer the biggest idiot in the story be a female?
Sebastian - is a proxy of her father and represents the dominant patriarchy. Would it really make one bit of sense for the that character to be female?
Flounder - this childlike character could indeed be a female, but again I believe that undermines the singular uniqueness of the heroine.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-01-16 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Frozen actually kind of defied the stereotype, with the "love at first site" prince inexplicably turning out to be evil, and the handsome schlub actually not being all that necessary to save her, not to mention Elsa not even having a suitor. I would think, in that movie, Olaf heavily skews the dialogue, as well as Anna basically being in a harem situation with two guys vying for her attention.

I don't know if Brave is considered a princess movie, but I wonder what the dialogue difference is there. I know Lilo and Stitch is not, but that also seems to skew female. The main thing I never really realized is that none of these princesses has any (human or similar) girlfriends (kinda like how very few of them have two living parents).
Old 02-01-16, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Frozen actually kind of defied the stereotype, with the "love at first site" prince inexplicably turning out to be evil, and the handsome schlub actually not being all that necessary to save her, not to mention Elsa not even having a suitor. I would think, in that movie, Olaf heavily skews the dialogue, as well as Anna basically being in a harem situation with two guys vying for her attention.

I don't know if Brave is considered a princess movie, but I wonder what the dialogue difference is there. I know Lilo and Stitch is not, but that also seems to skew female. The main thing I never really realized is that none of these princesses has any (human or similar) girlfriends (kinda like how very few of them have two living parents).
Tangled, Brave, and Frozen were all made to deliberately eschew the narrative cliches of a princess in search of a prince.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.