Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE GOOD DINOSAUR: "Pixar"

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-15-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

no info yet... but

$5 gift card with movie pre-order

http://www.target.com/p/the-good-din...+good+dinosaur

http://www.target.com/p/the-good-din...+good+dinosaur
Old 01-15-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: THE GOOD DINOSAUR: "Pixar"

I have this one pre-ordered

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-goo.../11203489.html

Last edited by gerrythedon; 01-22-16 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Disney is till supporting 3D in the US despite some posts stating otherwise.

I'm down for the 2D version with the $5 gift card. Thanks for posting this.

People should keep in mind that is very likely that the bonus content will only be available to stream from Disney Movies Anywhere. It's been that way for the last few Disney bonus content exclusives at Target.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-17-16 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Looks like Disney is till supporting #D in the US despite some posts stating otherwise.
As has been explained in previous threads, Pixar and Marvel are both exempt from Disney's "No 3D on Blu-ray" policy. Those divisions are still managed separately and make their own decisions.
Old 01-17-16, 01:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Was this a good movie? Good in 3D?
Old 01-17-16, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

People should keep in mind that is very likely that the bonus content will only be available to stream from Disney Movies Anywhere. It's been that way for the last few Disney bonus content exclusives at Target.
I used to care about this, but the "exclusives" they have are usually just a 3-4 minute featurette. If they were something like an hour long documentary, I'd have a valid interest. But since they abandoned bonus material like that altogether, store exclusives via streaming mean very little to me anymore.
Old 01-17-16, 04:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Was this a good movie? Good in 3D?
Great 3D and stunning background animation- but very mediocre story
Old 01-17-16, 05:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
As has been explained in previous threads, Pixar and Marvel are both exempt from Disney's "No 3D on Blu-ray" policy. Those divisions are still managed separately and make their own decisions.
Do you think this wI'll extend to LucasFilms and the Star Wars movies?
Old 01-17-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I would agree. I honestly thought some of the scenery was real.
Old 01-18-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think this wI'll extend to LucasFilms and the Star Wars movies?
Possibly, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.
Old 01-18-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I used to care about this, but the "exclusives" they have are usually just a 3-4 minute featurette. If they were something like an hour long documentary, I'd have a valid interest. But since they abandoned bonus material like that altogether, store exclusives via streaming mean very little to me anymore.
The quality of these feature has certainly varied, but my personal call is if the price is the same, and no other content exclusives are available, i'm going with these Target exclusives even if they are not what they used to be.

And it turns out my daughter got a real kick out of the how to draw the characters feature that came with Inside Out.
Old 01-19-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird, it looks like Target pulled both of the exclusives off their site. Now you can only get the gift card with the regular 2D version. Glad I placed my order over the weekend.
Old 01-19-16, 09:03 AM
Banned by request

The quality of these feature has certainly varied, but my personal call is if the price is the same, and no other content exclusives are available, i'm going with these Target exclusives even if they are not what they used to be.

And it turns out my daughter got a real kick out of the how to draw the characters feature that came with Inside Out.
See, that's cool how something like that could get your kid interested. I wish Disney would see how great extras can be, but instead, they usually just throw in crap like a pop song from their pre-teen teeny bopper star of the moment.
Old 01-19-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Weird, it looks like Target pulled both of the exclusives off their site. Now you can only get the gift card with the regular 2D version. Glad I placed my order over the weekend.

My order still exists (for now) but says "item not available" when I click the item link. One has to wonder if somebody jumped the gun in making it available for pre-order or if the exclusive has changed.
Old 01-19-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Didn't see it in 3D but would imagine my response would be the same. Look forward to getting this in 3D BD to keep my Pixar collection going.
Old 01-22-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
changed

3D Blu-ray Extras:

Sanjay’s Super Team

Blu-ray Extras:

Sanjay’s Super Team
True Lies About Dinosaurs
Recyclosaurus
The Filmmakers’ Journey
Every Part Of The Dinosaur
Following The T-Rex Trail
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary
Dino Bites
The Good Dinosaur Trailers
Hide And Seek
Old 01-23-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The animated adventure will arrive on disc, Digital HD, and Disney Movies Anywhere on Feb. 23.

THEATRICAL SHORT: Sanjay’s Super Team — Sanjay loves the world of cartoons and comics, while his father tries to draw him into his Hindu traditions. Reluctance quickly turns into awe-inspiring adventure as the boy embarks on an amazing journey, returning with a new perspective they can both embrace.

TRUE LIES ABOUT DINOSAURS: We know — it’s preposterous to think Apatosaurs spoke English. Learn more about what separates the fictional dinosaurs of The Good Dinosaur from what scientists know about real dinosaurs.

RECYCLOSAURUS: Pixar takes creative competition seriously. Maybe a little too seriously. Watch as The Good Dinosaur crew competes to see which department can create the best dinosaur ever… using only discarded items from the studio’s “free table.”

THE FILMMAKERS’ JOURNEY: Finding your way from an idea to a film takes a lot of exploration. Director Peter Sohn and his fellow filmmakers talk about the challenging, inspiring, and unexpectedly emotional experience of making The Good Dinosaur.

EVERY PART OF THE DINOSAUR: The filmmakers talk about the special animation challenges of The Good Dinosaur — including figuring out how to animate a dinosaur who’s really a boy, and a boy who’s got the spirit of a dog.

FOLLOWING THE T-REX TRAIL: Follow the filmmakers as they travel to a working cattle ranch and meet the McKays, a close-knit family whose work ethic, generosity, and stories inspired the T-Rex ranchers of the film.

COMMENTARY: Commentary from director Peter Sohn, story supervisor Kelsey Mann, supervising animator Mike Venturini, director of photography/lighting Sharon Calahan, and supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.

DINO BITES: Montage of original animated pieces produced to promote The Good Dinosaur.

HIDE AND SEEK: A short animated clip produced to promote The Good Dinosaur.

DELETED SCENES:
o The Attack — An idyllic introduction to the family farm is cut short when a savage predator attacks the newborn Arlo. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.

o Building the Silo — An admiring Arlo is thrilled to follow along as his father builds a silo for the family farm. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.

o Waiting for Poppa — Arlo awaits the return of his beloved father on a stormy night, only to be greeted with tragic news. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.

Blu-ray 3-D & DVD:

* THEATRICAL SHORT – Sanjay’s Super Team

Digital Exclusive:

JUST LISTEN: Trace the development of the unique soundscape of The Good Dinosaur, from the wilds of British Columbia as Sound Designer Craig Berkey collects sounds, to the recording studio where Jeff and Mychael Danna use instruments from around the world to create the music.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/21...nosaur-blu-ray
Old 01-26-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Didn't see it in 3D but would imagine my response would be the same. Look forward to getting this in 3D BD to keep my Pixar collection going.
I did and it was spectacular, but I won't hold my breath waiting for a 3D Blu release because it looks like that ain't gonna happen… at least in the U.S.

With BH6, Frozen, and Maleficent not having U.S 3D blu-ray releases, I've come to expect this slap in the Disney fan face from Disney corp. Even though I thought it mediocre, I would have bought Maleficent in 3D but not in just 2D, and unlike Frozen and BH6, I'm not going for a foreign 3D release. And there's the live action Cinderella...

It's sad that Pixar seems to be following Disney in this. This, along with a few other reasons, and the unavailability of the Ratatouille 3D blu release in the U.S., is extremely disappointing to me. And let's not mention the 3D Incredibles supposedly completed some time ago.

Having already opted out of purchasing some recent Disney fare, I've reached the point where I'm seriously considering not throwing any more of my already limited discretionary income their way... for anything.

Not another Disneyland/DisneyWorld visit. No more Blu-rays. Cancel my DMC & DMR memberships, even though (just to give you an idea of how much of a fan I am) I've got enough points for a Disney studio tour for a family of four. Even no more theatrical releases. Why set myself up for disappointment?

Yeah… I know… cutting off my nose to spite myself.

But I'll keep the collection I've got. The memories associated with it should last a lifetime.
Old 01-26-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
I did and it was spectacular, but I won't hold my breath waiting for a 3D Blu release because it looks like that ain't gonna happen… at least in the U.S.
Feel free to hold your breath. You wrote a big long diatribe but as was mentioned above ( and as any 3D Blu Ray collector already knows), Pixar releases like Marvel ones still get 3D editions in the US even though Disney stopped putting out 3D titles a while ago. I mean for God's sake, the 3D Blu Ray cover is at the top of this page and the 3D exclusive special features are listed in the post immediately above yours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...vies-tv&sr=1-1
Old 01-27-16, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Why is Pixar in quotes?
Old 01-27-16, 06:40 AM
Banned by request

Ha, no kidding.
Old 01-29-16, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Feel free to hold your breath. You wrote a big long diatribe but as was mentioned above ( and as any 3D Blu Ray collector already knows), Pixar releases like Marvel ones still get 3D editions in the US even though Disney stopped putting out 3D titles a while ago. I mean for God's sake, the 3D Blu Ray cover is at the top of this page and the 3D exclusive special features are listed in the post immediately above yours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...vies-tv&sr=1-1
You are correct. My mea culpa is that I had just read some misinformation about the Good Dinosaur 3D Blu not getting a U.S. release and that set me off. My bad, as they say.

Yes, Marvel and Pixar still get 3D releases, but how long will that last?

The 3D Blu cover posted at the top? Well… who hasn't seen cover art posted for something that ended up not getting released. It's happened many times. In fact, the last time I recall it happening involved Frozen, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the features list post, I tend not to read those too thoroughly. I suppose I conflated that with the post directly above it… which, if you notice, has a 3D Blu cover image of a foreign release.

I still think my extreme disappointment in Disney is justified. The Ratatouille 3D Blu still hasn't been released here. It won't be a surprise if The Incredibles conversion (completed some time ago according to Brad Bird) gets a 3D Blu release… except in the U.S. My only hope is that Disney might see fit to give it a theatrical 3D release before The Incredibles 2 comes out.

At any rate, I may have been half-expecting the U.S. 3D release getting pulled simply because IMO the Good Dinosaur is far and away the worst Pixar release so far. Visually stunning, jaw dropping backgrounds is the best thing that can be said about it. Character design is okay, but is at odds with hyper photo-realistic backgrounds. It's an aesthetic that, at best, is distracting.

I don't track B.O. so I don't know, but it would be a surprise if the Good Dinosaur made it's money back.
Old 01-29-16, 07:51 AM
Banned by request

Yes, Marvel and Pixar still get 3D releases, but how long will that last?
Well there hasn't been a blu release yet where the 3D has been left out.

The 3D Blu cover posted at the top? Well… who hasn't seen cover art posted for something that ended up not getting released. It's happened many times. In fact, the last time I recall it happening involved Frozen, if I'm not mistaken.
Again, Frozen is Disney, not Marvel or Pixar.

I still think my extreme disappointment in Disney is justified. The Ratatouille 3D Blu still hasn't been released here.
That Ratatouille 3D blu is fantastic! If they ever did an Incredible's release, it'll more than likely be in Europe or Asia, so I'll just get it there.
Old 01-29-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't track B.O. so I don't know, but it would be a surprise if the Good Dinosaur made it's money back.
The Good Dinosaur was a big disappointment for Pixar. $200 million budget, just under $300 million worldwide gross, which is not enough to be profitable. (After marketing and distribution, it needed about $500 million to break even.) It'll probably turn a profit with merchandising and home video, so it's not considered a flop, but it's certainly one of Pixar's worst performers.
Old 01-29-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well there hasn't been a blu release yet where the 3D has been left out.
Yet.

Again, Frozen is Disney, not Marvel or Pixar.
True… but my concern is that Disney can set the tone for future 3D releases. Disney owns Marvel and Pixar. If Disney says jump, they'll ask "How high?" Considering the Ratatouille 3D Blu situation, that may have already happened.

That Ratatouille 3D blu is fantastic! If they ever did an Incredible's release, it'll more than likely be in Europe or Asia, so I'll just get it there.
I'd heard it looks great. Wish I could justify the expense of an all-region player. Not that it would matter, as I haven't been able to find it available in any region... let alone one compatible with the U.S.

Still hoping (but not holding my breath… ha-ha) there will be a theatrical re-release 3D Incredibles prior to Incredibles 2. They did it with Toy Story 1 & 2, and Finding Nemo. Don't recall if they did it with Cars, but they did release Cars on 3D Blu.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.