Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - S: Goodman, Winstead, Gallagher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-16, 08:47 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I went and saw 13 Hours tonight and there was trailer for a film produced by J.J. starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman. From what I can tell on IMDb, that movie is Valencia : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3646940/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Plot: Waking up from a car accident, a young woman finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable.
When the title came it showed CLOVERFIELD.... then did something like "10 Cloverfield Lane" for the title. So emphasis on Cloverfield.

Looks like they secretly shot the sequel.
Old 01-14-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Cloverfield 2 ???

Weird nothing on the net about this at all
Old 01-14-16, 09:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that is the idea...

There some postings on Twitter...but yea...nothing. They'll probably put a trailer up online soon.
Old 01-14-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope it is. While the majority hated the filming style, I liked the story but we were told later it was just the beginning and that the 'creature' was actually a baby.
I just hope this time we get to see more of the creature/monster and some sort of backstory.

Found this over at http://collider.com

In 2014, news broke that filmmaker Dan Trachtenberg—who helmed the short film Portal: No Escape—would be directing a post-apocalyptic thriller called Valencia (also referred to as The Cellar) for Bad Robot and Paramount Insurge, produced by J.J. Abrams. While it’s true that the film is a post-apocalyptic thriller and was produced by Abrams, it appears that the Star Wars: The Force Awakens director has pulled another fast one on us—the movie’s actual title is 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Yes indeed, it appears as though that long-talked-about sequel to the secretive Abrams-produced 2008 film Cloverfield is not only happening, it’s already in the can. Abrams is taking the exact same marketing approach to this film as he did with Cloverfield, as a Collider reader who caught an east coast screening of Paramount’s 13 Hours hipped us to the news that the teaser trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane is attached to Michael Bay’s Benghazi film. Surprise!

We subsequently reached out to Paramount Pictures for comment, who provided Collider with this exclusive statement from J.J. Abrams himself:

“The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.”
Abrams adds that it’s a “blood relative”, which seems to suggest that the movie isn’t a direct sequel to Cloverfield but instead takes place within the same universe. It should also be known this one is not found-footage.

The film stars John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher, Jr. and when we previously spoke with Winstead while she was promoting her indie Faults, she told us the story revolves around a woman who wakes up in a cellar where she’s being kept by a stranger, played by Goodman. The actress previously elaborated a bit on the plot by saying the following:
“He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.”
Now that we know the title of the film, this “post-apocalyptic” setting appears to make much more sense, but how exactly it ties to Cloverfield remains unknown. Abrams tells us it’s a “blood relative”, which seems to suggest that the movie isn’t a direct sequel to Cloverfield but instead takes place within the same universe. Clearly it’s not found footage so it’s taking a different visual style than the Matt Reeves-directed original, but is it set within the New York City area? And how long after the events of Cloverfield does it pick up? That’s all unclear, but seeing as how the first trailer is set to arrive imminently, I’m sure we’ll have plenty more questions once that’s officially released.

Luckily, we don’t have to wait long at all to see the film. 10 Cloverfield Lane is set to hit theaters on March 11th.

Last edited by VHS?; 01-14-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Here's the trailer from Comicbook.com. Looks like a bootleg copy.

Looks like the title is 10 Cloverfield Lane and it's coming out March 11th.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HPYpJA1NnL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Huge fan of Cloverfield so I am excited for this, but I can't see them topping the first one.
Old 01-15-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

It seems to be not directly related to Cloverfield, just uses Cloverfield in the title. Saw something on Twitter from someone that said they saw a test screening and it's not a sequel.
Old 01-15-16, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Reminded me a lot of LOST bunker scenes.
Old 01-15-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, looks like it's loosely connected, perhaps the "Cloverfields" or whatever the fuck those eggs, perhaps? make it out to the general populace and this is the aftermath.

Hey, not that long of a wait, I'll bite.
Old 01-15-16, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John Goodman in a film pretty much demands my attention. Cuz Goodman is amazing.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/guGBUaxtwxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-16, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Reminded me a lot of LOST bunker scenes.
Yeah, I definitely got a Lost vibe off of that.
Old 01-15-16, 07:31 AM

Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - S: John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Old 01-15-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Surprising news. I saw a link to this on my Facebook and assumed the trailer was for a release next year. Pleasant surprise that it's only 2 months away.
Old 01-15-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVED the first Cloverfield. So even if it's not a direct sequel or even the "found footage" style, I'm still excited.
Old 01-15-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I was just thinking the other day why they never made another Cloverfield movie and now this comes out! Amazing how they kept this a secret in this day and age.
Old 01-15-16, 08:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

As long as it only has the name Cloverfield in it and not a hint of a linking story or found footage, I'm in.
Old 01-15-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yaah! Prequel to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

I give props to JJ for having fun with his movies, keeping stuff under locks, not allowing spoilerific trailers, etc;

Sometimes it comes off like he thinks he's better than he is, but it's always fun.
Old 01-15-16, 08:28 AM

Last edited by dex14; 01-15-16 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 09:03 AM

This is from the previously mentioned interview with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Collider and the last two questions were about "Valencia" aka 10 Cloverfield Lane

Quote:
How was your experience making Valencia with Dan Trachtenberg?

WINSTEAD: That was really cool and really fun. It’s one of those Bad Robot, can’t say anything about the script type of projects, but it was really fun. It’s another really contained film. It’s just three actors, in the whole thing. It’s me and John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. I get to be a little bad-ass in it, which was really fun. It had been a few years since I’d done something like that, so that was really cool. I won’t give away too much, but I’m excited about it, for sure.

Have you gotten to see it yet?

WINSTEAD: Just bits and pieces. I was at Bad Robot the other day, and they showed me the trailer for it, which looks really cool. I’m excited. It’s going to be really interesting. It’s basically my character wakes up in a cellar and I’m being kept down there by John Goodman. He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.
http://collider.com/mary-elizabeth-w...lts-interview/

Last edited by dex14; 01-15-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

She's pretty good at those "Contained" movies, she rocked in Faults.
Old 01-15-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Epic! I loved Cloverfield and this looks like an awesome companion movie.
Old 01-15-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Here's the trailer from Comicbook.com. Looks like a bootleg copy.

Looks like the title is 10 Cloverfield Lane and it's coming out March 11th.
Of course, considering the quality of the bootleg and his history when it comes to things being under wraps, my thoughts is that Abrams *intended* the trailer to look like a bootleg.
Old 01-15-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
And I was just thinking the other day why they never made another Cloverfield movie and now this comes out! Amazing how they kept this a secret in this day and age.
Yeah, this sounds really neat. Weird that there wasn't much about this movie at all until now.

Also, love Winstead!
Old 01-15-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I looked it up to see if it was on IMDB yet. It's in there, though it has been under the "Valencia" title. Reading the two-line description (and seeing the trailer) it sounds remarkably like an episode of "Metal Hurlant Chronicles" called "Shelter Me" with James Marsters and Michelle Ryan.
Old 01-15-16, 10:37 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
WINSTEAD: That was really cool and really fun. It’s one of those Bad Robot, can’t say anything about the script type of projects, but it was really fun. It’s another really contained film. It’s just three actors, in the whole thing. It’s me and John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. I get to be a little bad-ass in it, which was really fun. It had been a few years since I’d done something like that, so that was really cool. I won’t give away too much, but I’m excited about it, for sure.
http://collider.com/mary-elizabeth-w...lts-interview/
it's just 3 of them, can we get John Gallagher, Jr. in the thread title?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.