Reload this Page >

The Economist - worth subscribing to?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 01-09-16, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, all. I received a $15 offer for 12 weeks of The Economist. I was wondering what others thought of it? How long would it take to read one issue? In your opinion, does it lean liberal or conservative? Neither would be a strike; just curious.

I enjoy reading all sorts of things. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: The Economist - worth subscribing to?

I've read it on and off over the years. Occasionally purchased an issue.

I've found most of the coverage was mainstream centrist, without any extreme biases to the left or right. (ie. It doesn't really cover economic/business topics from the perspective of a libertarian, Nazi, Marxist, nor really any other "fringe").
Old 01-11-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts
Re: The Economist - worth subscribing to?

I've always liked it. I let my subscription lapse when I realized that I didn't have time to read it anymore. Now I read a few articles a week on the website.

They have a nerdy sense of humor, so the headlines and photo captions are frequently jokes.

It's a fairly important magazine and governments around the world appear to worry about what's said. My favorite incident was when some country in South East Asia passed a law requiring that every article written about the government would allow space for a rebuttal from a government spokesman. The Economist started writing articles about them and printed their rebuttals in the letters column week after week. Eventually someone in the government must have realized how small-time they looked, because the letters stopped. Only a couple of years ago, dozens of "independent" authors would write online comments supporting the Chinese government's policies after every article about China. They've stopped, too.

For that price, you should give it a try.