Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Grim Dawn. ARPG that deserves a look

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 09:19 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grim Dawn. ARPG that deserves a look

WHAT IS GRIM DAWN?

Action RPG similar to Diablo. It was on kickstarter a while back, and a few on this forum supported it. The game is basically done now, and you can get it in early access for 14 bucks right now on steam. The full release is in February, but if you buy it now you get to play the full game.

The game has a level cap of 75. You can play solo or up to 4 player coop. Loot is your own, but the game is a little more focused on skills vs loot like in Diablo. You choose a class and at level 10 you can choose another class.

Sort of like how Fallout 4 does it, when you level up you can put points in the bottom of that class so you can unlock different skills or level up skills you already unlocked. The joy comes from finding combos of skills that work together.

Is it any good? 20 hours in, I say absolutely yes. It is the best game of its type since Diablo 3. Enemy balance is strong, combat is satisfying. I guess it takes about 30-50 hours first run to finish, and like all the best ARPG games you have higher difficulties that you can run through again.
Old 12-30-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Grim Dawn. ARPG that deserves a look

I've been eyeing this on the Steam sale. It's now content complete, so that's a major benefit for me. I think I'll grab it and start playing over the extended weekend.
Old 12-31-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked it up this morning and played for about an hour. I've already requested a refund from Steam. It just didn't click the right boxes for me. These are the reasons I didn't care for it..

1. Combat didn't feel impactful
2. Couldn't get "Force Move" to bind to my mouse button (and work), so I couldn't play it the way I play other ARPGs
3. Played too slow compared to stuff like Diablo and Torchlight
4. Felt a little janky compared to those games (justified since the game was done with a very small team)
Old 12-31-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Neat story about the game and a fan:
kotaku.com/dad-immortalized-in-his-favorite-game-by-grieving-son-1748576006
Old 12-31-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Picked it up this morning and played for about an hour. I've already requested a refund from Steam. It just didn't click the right boxes for me. These are the reasons I didn't care for it..

1. Combat didn't feel impactful
2. Couldn't get "Force Move" to bind to my mouse button (and work), so I couldn't play it the way I play other ARPGs
3. Played too slow compared to stuff like Diablo and Torchlight
4. Felt a little janky compared to those games (justified since the game was done with a very small team)
That's too bad. I felt the same way about Path of Exile. The combat just seemed "off".

These guys made the very good Titan Quest, so it's a bummer to hear it has issues. I'm keeping it on my wishlist and maybe it'll get better after it releases.
Old 12-31-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shizawn
That's too bad. I felt the same way about Path of Exile. The combat just seemed "off".

These guys made the very good Titan Quest, so it's a bummer to hear it has issues. I'm keeping it on my wishlist and maybe it'll get better after it releases.
I enjoyed Titan Quest, but that was ages ago. I guess my tastes have changed and I wanted something like a more story-based Diablo 3.

I liked what I played of Path of Exile for the most part, but couldn't stand how shitty the mini-map looked and it totally turned me off of the game. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but I need my production values in games.
Old 03-07-16, 10:11 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IGN gave it 8.7

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/07/grim-dawn-review