Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region B Blu-Ray Playback?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all of my Region B BD's I buy from Zavvi and Amazon UK are region free, not sure about this Space Dandy set, any info on this from anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Dandy-Co...ectors+edition
Old 12-22-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Region B Blu-Ray Playback?

A lot of times you can find the region info on the listing page for the title at blu-ray DOT com. I checked this particular one and it says Region A and C untested. You might be able to get an answer in the forums there.

Personally I've had a region free mod in my Oppo for years and I love it - I just order what I want from wherever.
Old 12-22-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I can't really tell the country of origin for that Space Dandy set. If it's the UK release there is almost no chance it is region free. Anime releases are almost always locked because Japanese rights' holders demand it.

Funimation released Space Dandy in the United States:

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Space-...imited-Edition
Old 12-22-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a region-free UK BD not a week ago. What's the deciding factor? Do some releases deliberately have no region-coding so they can be sold in multiple territories, whereas others made by more specific companies (MOC, Criterion) which sub-license movies legally have to? Japan has the most insular market I've ever seen, do they have strict anti-import laws?
Old 12-22-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The physical media market is extremely expensive in Japan. Since Japan and North America share Region A, Japanese companies fear domestic customers will import Blu-rays from America. Yes, the Japanese like having a domestic monopoly.

Region coding is up to each company that owns the property. For studios like WB and Universal, they almost always distribute their own films across the globe so they don't really care which division you buy the movie from. Smaller productions made outside of Hollywood often have dozens of different distributors, which necessitated region coding. Of course, it was far easier to wall international markets off before the rise of a global shopping system called the Internet.
Old 06-12-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The two places I check for the "real" regions a Blu-ray is coded for (since the packaging may be incorrect) are:

Blu-Ray Region Code Info
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Also, Blu-ray.com will list region codes users have tested a disc on. See the region coding tab on the disc details, like this one for Season 1 of Rick and Morty:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rick-a.../#RegionCoding