Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Actually prefer DVD to some of these BDs w/ booming audio...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 09:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

With my setup, the audio is actually manageable with the DVD version of a movie vs. the BD version. With the BD version, the speakers in my TV (which are normally fine with DVD) can't handle the "remastered" audio on the BD version (sounds like it wants to blow the speakers out) so I have to decrease the volume to the point where I can't hear the dialogue. Audio's a little better through the towers but the booming sound effects overpower them as well so I have to find a balance between the booming sound effects and the dialogue which means on some movies I have to hang on to the remote and juggle volumes all through the movie. With the DVD version of that same movie, my system is able to handle it just fine (in most cases) and I can easily find a balance between the sound effects and dialogue. So even though I usually opt for the BD+DVD+DHD package deal (when I can pick it up for a decent price), lately I've just been watching the DVD copy of the movie.

I bought into this blu-ray thing because the video was supposed to be so much better than DVD (even though the BD player upconverts the DVDs just fine), but the audio they've been putting in alot of these blu-rays are too much for my setup. Hell, the towers will handle 200W apiece, but the booming sound effects just overpower them. My wife hates that shit, me not so much, but a happy wife is a happy household.

I wish they wouldn't make the audio on alot of these blu-rays so overpowering. Do they think everyone has state-of-the-art sound systems to watch them with? My setup is all I can afford right now (which is more than alot of people have I'm guessing).

Thanks for "listening". Rant over...
Old 12-19-15, 10:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Actually prefer DVD to some of these BDs w/ booming audio...

I don't get it - so are you ranting about the TV speakers being overpowered? Or you have a dedicated sound system? At any rate, blu ray audio is hands down better than any DVD. And you don't need a state of the art sound system to notice the difference. It's not overpowering, it's just mixed at a higher rate. Anything less is DVD non-HD quality.
Old 12-20-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Typically DVD mixes are identical to the audio mixes found on Blu-ray.

Many enthusiasts are upset that studios have watered down Blu-ray audio (filtering low-end bass, lowering dynamic range, etc) to appease people with lower end systems.

Most receivers have a "night time" listening mode that addresses the issues raised in the first post.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-20-15 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think I know what you are describing.

When I first bought a Blu-ray player I noticed the explosions and sound effects sounded correct but the dialogue was too low. When I raised the volume to hear the dialogue the explosions just about annihilated my speakers.

This was not the effect from DVD, only Blu-ray.

If you are just playing your Blu-ray player through the TV speakers or a 2.1 soundbar set-up try setting your Blu-ray player as follows:

This is an example of a Sony machine but I'm sure other players have similar options.

Audio Output Priority > HDMI
Audio (HDMI) > 2ch PCM
BD Audio Setting > Mix
Audio ATT > Off
Dolby Digital > Downmix PCM
DTS > Downmix PCM
48kHz/96kHz PCM > 48kHz/16bit
Audio DRC > TV Mode
Downmix > Normal

If you use settings that "downmix" the audio you will probably find a much more evenly balanced audio from your Blu-rays.
Old 12-20-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

What I don't like is after watching a Blu-ray movie and then trying too listen to the special features because there is such a drop in the audio. Most times I shut the stereo receiver off and listen thru the tv speakers.
Old 12-20-15, 09:00 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'll have to check out those settings orangerunner. I'll also have to look into this "night time" listening mode PhantomStranger, although I've never seen it before in my setup options. Thanks.

For information regarding my setup: Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" 1080i HD/WS Rear-Projection Television, no HDMI capabilities. Sony BDP S570 BD player, Onkyo TX-8555 2-channel 100W/channel stereo receiver, 2 Sony 200W towers. Since I have no HDMI in the TV, I bought a HDMI to Component converter, running TV through the converter to the BD player, audio through the receiver. Everything sounds great, it's just that many of my blu-ray's audio are too much for my setup, can't hear the dialogue properly if the volume's too low, but sound effects on many BDs sound like they're going to blow up my speakers if I turn the volume up to hear the dialogue. The volume levels on their DVD counterparts seem to be more manageable with my setup.
Old 12-20-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Ahh, a stereo receiver. That might explain some of your problems. Manufacturers tend to keep options like night-time listening mode on the bigger surround receivers. I would assume your Blu-ray player is folding down the surround tracks into stereo sound and possibly causing problems. Someone with more experience with that Sony BD player would know more.
Old 12-20-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I'll have to check out those settings orangerunner. I'll also have to look into this "night time" listening mode PhantomStranger, although I've never seen it before in my setup options. Thanks.

For information regarding my setup: Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" 1080i HD/WS Rear-Projection Television, no HDMI capabilities. Sony BDP S570 BD player, Onkyo TX-8555 2-channel 100W/channel stereo receiver, 2 Sony 200W towers. Since I have no HDMI in the TV, I bought a HDMI to Component converter, running TV through the converter to the BD player, audio through the receiver. Everything sounds great, it's just that many of my blu-ray's audio are too much for my setup, can't hear the dialogue properly if the volume's too low, but sound effects on many BDs sound like they're going to blow up my speakers if I turn the volume up to hear the dialogue. The volume levels on their DVD counterparts seem to be more manageable with my setup.
Since your Blu-ray player is a Sony, the settings should be virtually identical
with the exception of the HDMI. Just change them according to you audio outputs, whether you're using either RCA or TOSLink (optical cable).
Old 12-20-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ahh, a stereo receiver. That might explain some of your problems. Manufacturers tend to keep options like night-time listening mode on the bigger surround receivers. I would assume your Blu-ray player is folding down the surround tracks into stereo sound and possibly causing problems. Someone with more experience with that Sony BD player would know more.
I think what is happening is when the Blu-ray player is exporting 5.1 Dolby into a proper 5.1 surround sound system, the explosions and whatnot tend to dominate the left and right speakers and the dialogue tends to dominate the centre speaker.

When sending the same 5.1 surround signal into a 2.0 receiver with only a left and right speaker and no centre speaker, the dialogue is very low coming through the left and right speakers.

By downmixing, the Blu-ray player is mixing all 5.1 channels into 2 channels and then exporting the mix into your 2.0 receiver, giving you a more equally balanced sound.