Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

is there a "worth the upgrade" site?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am slowly 'upgrading' my DVDs to BDs. As you know, not all BDs are created equal. However, the BD review sites typically compare the PQ to what BD can deliver and not compared to the DVD version. Only rarely do I see this in a review.

That criteria really doesn't help me. A lousy BD PQ might still be heads and shoulders better than the DVD, and a good BD might only be marginally better than a perfectly mastered DVD.

I have a 120" front projection system, so what may be marginally better on a 50" TV can be substantial on a 120" screen. Yet, I don't want to waste $ if the BD isn't going to buy me much over the DVD version and I won't see it even on my system.

Plus some BDs can be even worse than the DVD, due to EE, DNR,etc.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Is there a site that has these kinds of comparisons/reviews to the DVD counterpart?
Old 12-10-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: is there a "worth the upgrade" site?

It's possible some early Blu-ray reviews may have compared the presentation to its former DVD releases but that time is long past.

I think the best you can do it just read reviews and judge it on a case by case basis.

That said, I've upgraded every DVD I can to Blu-ray even if I have to import to do it. Unless a Blu-ray is literally an upscale job from 480p, it's also going to be better - just a question of degree.

This is coming from someone with a 65" display. At almost double that, I would think you'd want to have 1080p available to you no matter what.
Old 12-10-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Haven't been in a while but this may be what you're looking for. It doesn't appear to compare from BD to DVD but it has information on releases from all regions.

http://dvdcompare.net
Old 12-10-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Unless the BD is an unmitigated disaster, you are going to see a substantial upgrade over any dvd on a 120" projection system.
Old 12-10-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

There are only a few examples where the upgrade from DVD to BD might be questionable, and those are mostly from very early BD releases (2006-2007) that completely botched the transfer.
Old 12-10-15, 02:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

There are a couple of not very updated threads here in the forum that do things like this. One in my sig; then another for just BDs iirc.

Edit: Nevermind. The threads here are mainly about extras.
Old 12-10-15, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
There are only a few examples where the upgrade from DVD to BD might be questionable, and those are mostly from very early BD releases (2006-2007) that completely botched the transfer.
THanks... Will stop worrying and upgrade as budget permits..
Old 12-10-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

www.yes.com
Old 12-10-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.caps-a-holic.com
Old 12-11-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Unless the BD is an unmitigated disaster, you are going to see a substantial upgrade over any dvd on a 120" projection system.
I was thinking the same thing. There are so few instances where the Blu-ray isn't a step up over the DVD, that creating a website like this wouldn't make much sense, since 95 percent of the reviews would say "worth the upgrade." Unless we're talking bonus materials, but I assume the OP was referring to video and audio quality.
Old 12-11-15, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was thinking the same thing. There are so few instances where the Blu-ray isn't a step up over the DVD, that creating a website like this wouldn't make much sense, since 95 percent of the reviews would say "worth the upgrade." Unless we're talking bonus materials, but I assume the OP was referring to video and audio quality.
Yes, only care about PQ actually.

Not sure how many more I will be upgrading, but buying new ones is a no brainer...

Thanks to everyone for pitching in..
Old 12-11-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

www.dvdbeaver.com
Old 12-11-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Taxi Driver is DEFINITELY worth an upgrade.
source - davidlynchfan reviews.
Old 12-11-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a better way to handle what the OP is looking for, is not as much as a comparison site, but more along the lines of what BD's should be avoided because of issues with the video or audio. The focus could be things like bad encodes, or dropouts, or even drastic changes made like on the Terminator or original French Connection BD's. Because I think most people would agree that most discs improve on the DVD quality at least in some way. Even that teal Terminator BD.
Old 12-11-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Other considerations.
There are a lot of titles where the BD is the first time title is available in 16x9, the DVD counterpart is 4x3 letterbox, or even fullscreen.
Public domain titles may be full HD but the print is not as good as a SD version available.
With international releases, check to see the BD has the cut you want.
There may not be an audio issue, but the audio choices may be different.
Old 12-11-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

There's been a number of DVDs I haven't "upgraded", including The Terminator, because they don't include the original sound mixes. The Terminator on Blu-Ray only has the new 5.1 mix- when that movie was released it cost a bit more to produce a movie in stereo and so it was released in mono, which is how it should be heard. The DVD includes both the original mono and the new 5.1 mix, the Blu-Ray doesn't. With Warner titles, I also don't buy any that I know have had the original studio intros replaced with their newer CG one- usually you can check those on Vudu with the 2-minute preview feature there.
Old 12-16-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that waiting for a rerelease of T1 with the original mono is a fool's errand.
Old 12-17-15, 10:17 AM

quick follow up:
What do you do with your DVD versions of the film.

a) keep them
b) sell them
c) give 'em away

Just curious.. as I now have a huge stack of DVDs for each movie that I upgraded to BD.
Old 12-17-15, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Went from blank VHS tapes of movies on cable (when cable first started) to LDs. From LDs to DVDs and now BDs. I very rarely double dip unless the BD is released in it's OAR.

If you have a good setup, which I think I have, some DVDs upscaled look great and I'll stick with them. I have over 2000 DVDs and BDs and am running out of storage space.
Old 12-17-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
quick follow up:

a) keep them
b) sell them
c) give 'em away

Just curious.. as I now have a huge stack of DVDs for each movie that I upgraded to BD.
Back when I only had one blu-ray player in the house, I'd keep the dvds and put them in a multi-disc blu-ray case and make my own combo packs. That's not really a concern anymore, but I'll still do it if there's a an extras disc or something not on the blu-ray. I've also given some away to friends and I used to bring a lot of them to Best Buy when they still did upgrade and save. I do still have a stack just sitting on the shelf which I'll probably just donate or even throw them away if no one will take them.
Old 12-17-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

quick follow up:

a) keep them
b) sell them
c) give 'em away

Back in the first few years of Blu-ray you could recoup some of what you spent on the Blu by selling the DVD. Now it's pretty rough out there for used DVD's.

Personally I see no point in keeping them. I've taken them in bunches to a place like 2nd and Charles which will give you cash or store credit. Whatever they reject I usually give to Goodwill or in some cases after seeing the value on Amazon at 0.01, I just chuck 'em.
Old 12-17-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

a) keep them
b) sell them
c) give 'em away
a Never get rid of ANYTHING!
Old 12-17-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that waiting for a rerelease of T1 with the original mono is a fool's errand.
Can't you just feed an audio receiver the 5.1 stereo mix and have it output 2 channel mono?

I guess it won't be "original" mono but it will give you the same effect.
Old 12-17-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

quick follow up:

a) keep them
b) sell them
c) give 'em away

I have a guy who gives me $2 a piece for my dvds. I only have BD in the home theater so I keep old movies like Universal Monsters, etc. in case I want to watch on living room tv while kicked back on couch.
I've gotten as much as $15 for used Criterion dvds on Amazon. If the dvd is OOP and the BD release has no new DVD counterpart, you can still get OOP prices for the dvd sometimes. People still want it on dvd.
Old 12-17-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Can't you just feed an audio receiver the 5.1 stereo mix and have it output 2 channel mono?

I guess it won't be "original" mono but it will give you the same effect.
The 5.1 mix of Terminator is a completely new mix with added sound effects, etc. This is a very common occurrence because unless a studio has access to the original sound effect and music elements, there's no good way to expand a mono track to 5.1. Instead they just throw a lot of extra crap in there so that there's something to spread across the various channels. I think in the case of Terminator there was also some revisionism at hand with Cameron not being happy with the quality of the original track, although I could be wrong about that.

In the case of The Terminator, the original PCM mono track from the laserdisc is pretty easy to find online synced to the current BD. I know hanshotfirst doesn't like to go that route, but it really is pretty awesome and probably of a higher quality than any studio release would be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.