Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (S: Stamp, Weaving, Pearce, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (S: Stamp, Weaving, Pearce, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When drag queen Anthony (Hugo Weaving) agrees to take his act on the road, he invites fellow cross-dresser Adam (Guy Pearce) and transsexual Bernadette (Terence Stamp) to come along. In their colorful bus, named Priscilla, the three performers travel across the Australian desert performing for enthusiastic crowds and homophobic locals. But when the other two performers learn the truth about why Anthony took the job, it threatens their act and their friendship.
<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QgFDIinCeYI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
------------

Horrible trailer but... holy fuck does Guy Pearce "queer it up" as they say...

Anyone seen this?

Was randomly on youtube and was just seeing some stuff Weaving did before The Matrix. And found out he did this movie. I think I heard of him playing this role but didn't really know much about it. Apparently... Terence Stamp and Guy Pearce were also in it. Stamp doesn't make a good looking woman at all. oddly enough... I remember the bit were the Drew Carey used the musical as their little thing vs. Rocky Horror Picture Show. Never even knew wtf that was really about till now....

Anyway... this was the clip I saw of the film. I actually want to see the film now cuz.... I like those 3 guys...and this looks crazy enough for me to want to see.
<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gAshNAfOHTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (S: Stamp, Weaving, Pearce, etc)

It's a fun film.
Old 12-09-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (S: Stamp, Weaving, Pearce, etc)

Pearce steals the show. Fanatstic film.

"How do you want your boys, girls?"
Old 12-09-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, I've seen it. Fun flick. A bit over the top here and there. All three male leads turn in great performances. Stamp though in the stand out. He was nominated for Best Actor at the Golden Globes and BAFTA's. As you mentioned, he is not an attractive woman at all. But he's hilarious in it.
Old 12-09-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

It's a fun movie. Check it out.
Old 12-09-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Great flick!
Old 12-09-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I saw it a lot of times in the 90s. I need to revisit it.
Old 12-10-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the Texas Chain Saw Mascara?

Great movie and it looks even better on Blu-ray.
Old 12-10-15, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, really fun film. Better than "To Wong Foo..." I adore Hugo Weaving, but in this, he looks like he is a character in a Guillermo del Toro film. Terence Stamp has the best lines, he does snarky so damned well. And Guy Pearce, oh boy!
Old 12-10-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Saw this in theaters, back in the day. At the time I thought it was very enjoyable but also a bit over-praised. I haven't seen it since.

Funny how Pearce and Weaving really took off afterward; Stamp was already well-established, of course.
Old 12-10-15, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just laugh so much seeing Pearce go all out in his personality JUST in the bits I've seen. He's almost edging out going full flamboyant gay. Damn near annoying but he's such a fucking good actor.
Old 12-10-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Trickshot
Really, really fun film. Better than "To Wong Foo..." I adore Hugo Weaving, but in this, he looks like he is a character in a Guillermo del Toro film. Terence Stamp has the best lines, he does snarky so damned well. And Guy Pearce, oh boy!
"To Wong Foo", woof! Horrible film. A failed attempt to cash in on the success of "Priscilla".
Old 12-11-15, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Remember buying this, Mrs. Doubtfire and Tootsie on laserdisc all on the same day after hearing about an unannounced 'sale' at Camelot Music- by sheer coincidence I got 3 movies about men in drag (and all shot in 2.35!) (I don't have To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, just running that on 35mm was enough for me.)

I still randomly say "I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times, no fucking ABBA" just to see who gets it.
Old 12-11-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I remember seeing The Matrix in the theater in 1999. It had been bugging me the whole movie where I knew Agent Smith from. Near the end I had a "That's Mitzi!" realization.
Old 12-11-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was in college (North Texas), I had a few gay friends and assorted female friends that ridiculously (along with Rocky Horror Picture Show) quoted them backwards to forwards and loved it to the point where I avoided both pictures for a number of years. Somewhere in my late 20's, I watched both by myself and absolutely adored them to the point where I have watched them multiple times and can quote a good chunk of them.

Speaking solely about Priscilla, it's delightfully funny and tells a wonderful (and sentimental) story. Not to toot my own horn, but I actually reviewed both the DVD and Blu-ray on the site I used to write for if you need a detailed review. (I would link them, but I don't want DVDTalk to get after me. But if you go to Upcomingdiscs.com, it's easy enough to find).
Old 12-13-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"To Wong Foo", woof! Horrible film. A failed attempt to cash in on the success of "Priscilla".
I used to think so too, but not according to Wikipedia. The makers of Priscilla saw the script of Wong Foo while they were still shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ad...act_and_legacy