Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Homeland (S5E10) -- "New Normal" -- 12/6/15

A new threat emerges.

Episode 10 of 12
Old 12-06-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Homeland (S5E10) -- "New Normal" -- 12/6/15

Lol. Arrest Alison as a spy, but there is a crisis, so we will let you go.

At least they didn't kill Quinn, no matter how ridiculous him living is.
Old 12-06-15, 10:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

They have an algorithm that can find a site where they are making sarin gas by the design of floor tile, but can't see through Allison's bullshit story.

I hope Laura gets gassed at some point this season.
Old 12-07-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrX
They have an algorithm that can find a site where they are making sarin gas by the design of floor tile, but can't see through Allison's bullshit story.
LOL yeah!

I also LOL'ed at the previews for the next episodes.
Old 12-07-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

The Alison thing... ugh.

Tracing it back to the tiles? More ugh.

Of course of the 39 sites to check, Carrie manages to go to the right one. It couldn't be another group that finds it - has to be Carrie.

And let's fake the audience into thinking Quinn is dead because he isn't moving at all, and then we'll have him move just after we get one last grieving scene from Carrie. She couldn't have noticed right away that he was still alive - nope... gotta go for that extra little bit of drama.

Can't wait for the next episode of Contrivedland.
Old 12-07-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
The Alison thing... ugh.

Tracing it back to the tiles? More ugh.

Of course of the 39 sites to check, Carrie manages to go to the right one. It couldn't be another group that finds it - has to be Carrie.

And let's fake the audience into thinking Quinn is dead because he isn't moving at all, and then we'll have him move just after we get one last grieving scene from Carrie. She couldn't have noticed right away that he was still alive - nope... gotta go for that extra little bit of drama.

Can't wait for the next episode of Contrivedland.
I am SOOO tired of the quivering lip. She overacts everything.

39 places in Berlin (must be a few hundred police officers, SWAT, and hundreds of Bundeswehr all available so they can send an appropriate FORCE to each location, yet Carrie and semi-hot German spy chick go alone to a potential terrorist CELL location with sarin gas attack a real possibility with 2 handguns and no gas mask. Seriously? Even Jack Bauer would have brought some backup. But Alison (the obvious mole) can help...it's HER station.

The "he's already in his tomb" line was like straight out of Adam West batman or a bad James Bond clone. Not that that particular plot line makes ANY sense on any level. Especially since he was actually following terrorists and could have found them through that instead of good Samaritan terrorist that nurses you bacl to health.

God, this show was super super dumb this episode. Also, somehow Saul is all good now, let's ignore stealing government secrets, giving them to a former CIA operative working for wiki-leaks, and planning your escape from arrest with the help of a Mossad strike force.
Old 12-07-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
God, this show was super super dumb this episode. Also, somehow Saul is all good now, let's ignore stealing government secrets, giving them to a former CIA operative working for wiki-leaks, and planning your escape from arrest with the help of a Mossad strike force.
I think that's what we learn from this show - the CIA is the most trusting and forgiving organization in the world. From those things you've mentioned, plus Alison still being able to run things, how they kept Brody on a very long leash (despite looking like he turned into a terrorist), the IT guy still having a job, etc.
Old 12-08-15, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Good lord people the show isn't THAT bad! Of course its not as great as the first season, but for anyone to get annoyed at Carrie's quiverring lips when she cries or outrageous plot holes, have you been watching the show for the past 5 seasons cause you should have quit then.

For anyone who is annoyed with Allison getting free reign in the CIA after being arrested for treason, you may have forgotten that Carrie has been let back in the CIA numerous times after she has gone certifiably crazy in front of her superiors and you know that one plot point where she was dating a known terrorist named Brody.

I was going to comment on this week's episode, but its not worth it as this has turned into 'Homeland Bitchfest Thread,' yet you guys keep watching it every week???
Old 12-08-15, 07:47 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Good lord people the show isn't THAT bad! Of course its not as great as the first season, but for anyone to get annoyed at Carrie's quiverring lips when she cries or outrageous plot holes, have you been watching the show for the past 5 seasons cause you should have quit then.

For anyone who is annoyed with Allison getting free reign in the CIA after being arrested for treason, you may have forgotten that Carrie has been let back in the CIA numerous times after she has gone certifiably crazy in front of her superiors and you know that one plot point where she was dating a known terrorist named Brody.

I was going to comment on this week's episode, but its not worth it as this has turned into 'Homeland Bitchfest Thread,' yet you guys keep watching it every week???
Didn't say that overall I was upset I watch. But there is much much larger plot holes and more quivering lips and a super sketchy plot that in previous seasons.
Old 12-08-15, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Didn't say that overall I was upset I watch. But there is much much larger plot holes and more quivering lips and a super sketchy plot that in previous seasons.
You may have forgot about Brody killing the VP in Season 2 and was able to get into his office by asking to use the bathroom. I guess that was when the plots weren't as sketchy.....
Old 12-08-15, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the show isn't that bad it's just infuriating to see that the writing is that bad. It's like it was written by some 16 year old. It's insulting to the audience.
Old 12-08-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Did anyone else notice the line "we don't want another Paris on our hands"? I'm assuming this episode didn't wrap until after the Paris attacks and they wrote it into the show.
Old 12-08-15, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Luds
No the show isn't that bad it's just infuriating to see that the writing is that bad. It's like it was written by some 16 year old. It's insulting to the audience.
There hasn't been one positive observation in this thread before I posted this morning so obviously you guys think its THAT bad.

I have stated before that I think the only thing that has changed (gotten worse) about this show is its lost its focus on the characters and relies solely on the plot like network TV does. They did a great job in the early seasons of fleshing out the characters (heck even Brody's family too) and it gave the show some depth.

The plots and writing has always been a reach, as its one of those shows you have to take 'with a grain of salt' to enjoy. That is why it's annoying to hear someone complain about Carries crying expressions when she's done that since the first episode so it is what it is at this point.
Old 12-08-15, 12:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Did anyone else notice the line "we don't want another Paris on our hands"? I'm assuming this episode didn't wrap until after the Paris attacks and they wrote it into the show.
My wife and I noticed that too. Nice, late insertion?
Old 12-08-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Doesn't the whole series of Homeland take place somewhat into our future though? Otherwise Brody killed Joe Biden.
Old 12-08-15, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There hasn't been one positive observation in this thread before I posted this morning so obviously you guys think its THAT bad.

I have stated before that I think the only thing that has changed (gotten worse) about this show is its lost its focus on the characters and relies solely on the plot like network TV does. They did a great job in the early seasons of fleshing out the characters (heck even Brody's family too) and it gave the show some depth.

The plots and writing has always been a reach, as its one of those shows you have to take 'with a grain of salt' to enjoy. That is why it's annoying to hear someone complain about Carries crying expressions when she's done that since the first episode so it is what it is at this point.
I like this series and I even like this season to an extent. I fully agree with you about the character development gone and conversion of this show into 24.

But for this to work it takes a good writing and storyline. Something believable, no plot holes. These people are top CIA operatives and directors. So just off the top of my head...

1) There would be no leak from some hacker caused by some failure to upgrade some servers!
2) Catching a spy fleeing to the enemy, thus proving she's a double agent and then just letting her off the hook? No!
3) Sending Carrie and the other german officer when you have tons of military/special ops or other people that are much better trained for it to check the buildings.

This is jsut basic. Don't do dumb stuff. Any decent writer could have...

1) Have someone from the inside flip and take off with those files and sell them to the journalist.
2) Not frikking let her off the hook, instead torture her for intel, or torture the russian, or interrogate, or simply dump her in jail and get intel from the arrested Syrian instead.
3) Send troups assisted by Carrie and once cleared and body found have Carrie come-in.
Old 12-08-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I thought they might be referring to the Charlie Hedbo attacks
Old 12-08-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
I thought they might be referring to the Charlie Hedbo attacks
yeah, that was what i assumed when they said it. pretty sure the season has wrapped. when claire danes was on stern more than a month ago, she said they were on hiatus and only have a few episodes left to film.
Old 12-08-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Good lord people the show isn't THAT bad!
I completely agree. Except for Carrie. She is worse.
Old 12-08-15, 04:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm still not sure why Carrie can be in conversations with Saul/Astrid/Allison. WTF is her role? She has no clearance to be in rooms with any of these people.

Also how does she as a normal citizen (Visitor even) in Germany, have a gun?
Old 12-08-15, 05:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Didn't realize the WSJ had these - An intelligence expert breaks down each episode - based on how realistic or unrealistic it is.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...ert-weighs-in/
Old 12-09-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Renewed for a 6th season: http://deadline.com/2015/12/homeland...-3-1201662994/

The Affair also renewed.
Old 12-10-15, 09:37 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Renewed for a 6th season: http://deadline.com/2015/12/homeland...-3-1201662994/

The Affair also renewed.
Awesome. The Affair has surpassed Homeland for me but I like both.