Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2016 Blu-ray (and UHD?) releases

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

2016 Blu-ray releases for the Walt Disney Animated Classics line:

February 2
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Signature Collection

June 7
Zootopia 3D

September 20
Beauty & the Beast: 25th Anniversary Edition: The Signature Collection

Unreleased and unscheduled (5 titles)
6. Saludos Amigos (1943)
7. The Three Caballeros (1945)
8. Make Mine Music (1946)
10. Melody Time (1948)
25. The Black Cauldron (1985)

Nowhere in sight
Frozen 3D
Big Hero 6 3D

Last edited by TheBang; 06-24-16 at 09:42 PM. Reason: BatB
Old 11-30-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2016 Blu-ray (and UHD?) releases

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48332557

Not many details available about it yet. I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any UHD yet. Why create a new line and then not include UHD when UHD is imminent?

Last edited by TheBang; 12-01-15 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'll pick up Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs as I never bought the first release. There's a bunch of Disney Classics I should pick up before they get vaulted. Is the Signature Collection replacing the Diamond Collection?
Old 11-30-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently, since it's taking the normal Diamond release slot (in Feb). No announced details yet, just the somewhat premature listing on Walmart.
Old 12-01-15, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Nowhere in sight
Frozen 3D
Big Hero 6 3D
They're in sight on my shelf, but Frozen came from Italy and Big Hero 6 came from the UK. Stupid Disney.
Old 12-01-15, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They're in sight on my shelf, but Frozen came from Italy and Big Hero 6 came from the UK. Stupid Disney.
Both of mine are from the UK including Beauty and the Beast and the live action Maleficent.
Old 12-01-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a warning to those looking to dump their current releases thinking these will be better. Disney has often screwed up new transfers and/or dumped high quality extras when supposedly putting out new and improved releases.

The previous Snow White BD release was very solid in every way. I doubt they could add anything that would make me think I needed to upgrade. Then again, maybe it will be the same release with just the digital code added. But I doubt all the extras will make it over.

Pinocchio on the other hand definitely needs to be reworked. Hopefully that is in their plans for Fall 2016.
Old 12-01-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talking about domestic releases, of course. I also gave in, and purchased both from Amazon UK during the recent 3D sale.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The previous Snow White BD release was very solid in every way. I doubt they could add anything that would make me think I needed to upgrade.
Actually, there were a number of extras that were left off of the Snow White Diamond Edition that were on the Platinum Edition, which is why I kept my Platinum Edition Disc 2 and put it in the Diamond Edition case.
Old 12-01-15, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think so far every Diamond Edition is a watered down version of the Platinum editions, where applicable. I don't know of any Diamond Edition that has more extras than the Platinum.
Old 12-01-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Actually, there were a number of extras that were left off of the Snow White Diamond Edition that were on the Platinum Edition, which is why I kept my Platinum Edition Disc 2 and put it in the Diamond Edition case.
I know. That's why I am warning about "upgrading" to these "signature" releases.
Old 12-01-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I think so far every Diamond Edition is a watered down version of the Platinum editions, where applicable. I don't know of any Diamond Edition that has more extras than the Platinum.
If you ignore things like silly games I think few got really close to porting over everything and adding some new material. IIRC correctly, Cinderella was a good example of this.

But sadly many others dropped some pretty significant material or only made the material available using that online option they created.
Old 12-01-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, I think the majority ported over all the significant extras (minus mostly inconsequential stuff like games and art galleries), and some even added some new features.

It was mostly the early Diamond Editions that were missing material. IIRC, Diamonds that were missing significant bonus material:

Snow White
Beauty & the Beast
The Lion King
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia set (I know, it's not a Diamond or Platinum)

Diamonds that maintained all the significant bonus material:

Bambi
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella
Peter Pan
The Little Mermaid
The Jungle Book
101 Dalmatians
Aladdin
Old 12-01-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, more details have been released about Snow White today. First of all, a release trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qx0uk2Q6XZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://movies.disney.com/snow-white-...e-seven-dwarfs
http://m.disneystore.com/snow-white-...92203/1000319/

Secondly, the bonus features have been announced.

All-new bonus features:
  • In Walt's Words: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Iconography@Disneyanimation: Designing Disney's First Princess
  • The Fairest Facts of Them All: 7 Things You May Not Know About Snow White
  • Snow White in Seventy Seconds
  • Alternate Sequence: The Prince Meets Snow White]

Classic Bonus Features:
  • Disney's First Feature: The Making of Snow White
  • Bringing Snow White to Life
  • Hyperion Studios Tour
  • Decoding the Exposure Sheet
  • Snow White Returns
  • Story Meetings
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Animation Voice Talent
  • Audio Commentary
  • Disneyview

This news item has some details, such as, the alternate sequence is "a never-before-seen alternate sequence of the Prince meeting Snow White"

"The release also marks the debut of The Walt Disney Signature Collection, denoting feature films created or inspired by the late animation mastermind."

The main thrust of this release seems to be "first time on digital". It will be released two weeks earlier on Jan 19 on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere. And based on the above description of the "Signature Collection" it sounds like the line will not be a direct replacement for the Diamond Editions, since several of those have no direct connection to Walt Disney. Although maybe "inspired by" could be inclusive enough to cover things like The Lion King, et al.

Also, ABC will be airing a one hour special called Behind the Magic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

BEHIND THE MAGIC: SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS

An All-New Special and Unprecedented Look at Walt Disney’s Journey to Create the Historic First Full-Length Animated Feature Film, Airing Sunday, December 13 at 8 pm on ABC

Spoiler:
Narrated by Ginnifer Goodwin (Actress, ABC’s “Once Upon a Time,” Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Zootopia”) and Featuring John Lasseter (Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney & Pixar Animation Studios), Disney Legend/Songwriter Richard Sherman (Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book), and Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck (Directors, Frozen)

In 1934, the up-and-coming filmmaker Walt Disney decided to take a big creative, financial and personal risk: he put his small animation studio – until now dedicated to turning out comedy shorts – to work adapting a fairy tale into a full-color, full-length animated feature film. No one ever made a full-color feature length cartoon before, and it seemed far-fetched. Who would want to watch a cartoon for 90 minutes? Most people, including the two most important in Walt’s life, his wife and brother, believed it would be his undoing. And they were almost right. From the seemingly insurmountable creative challenges, to an expanding budget and looming deadlines, to an exhausted and all-consumed Walt Disney, the production of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” became a harrowing journey, one that almost destroyed the man who conceived it. “Behind the Magic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” airs Sunday, December 13, (8:00 pm ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Behind the Magic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” explores the moment where folklore met filmmaking. With dynamic visuals including clips from the 1937 movie, film and audio recordings, and snapshots from Disney’s own personal archive, the special creatively showcases how the team at Disney stayed true to the message of the original story while tackling the creative and technical challenges of putting this humble fairy tale on the silver screen, creating history.

The special also features live action moments based on the original tale, shot with dramatic special effects treatments, as well as some cut scenes and characters from the animated film, uniquely transporting viewers to the making of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The hour also explores how Walt Disney was possessed with making the film – leveraging everything, including his relationships and reputation, as well as mortgaging his home, smack dab in the middle of the Great Depression.

“Behind the Magic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” is narrated by Ginnifer Goodwin (Actress, ABC’s “Once Upon A Time,” Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Zootopia”) and features extensive interviews with John Lasseter (Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney & Pixar Animation Studios), Frozen directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, Byron Howard (Director, the upcoming Zootopia and Tangled), Alan Menken, Richard Sherman, and Disney supervising animators Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn, as well as some of the original talent from the 1937 film, and historians/experts from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library, Walt Disney Archives, and beyond.

An XCON Production for Lincoln Square Productions, “Behind the Magic:Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” is executive produced by Christine Connor. Jeremiah Crowell is the director.
Overall, this is pretty disappointing to me. I was hoping for an UHD commitment from them. If they had just waited until the fall (Oct.) release to launch the new line, they could have made a strong commitment to UHD Blu-ray and UHD streaming, which would all be more well-established by then, especially going into the holiday season. Now I'm concerned about whether they have any imminent UHD plans at all.

Last edited by TheBang; 12-06-15 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a region free BR player? I ask because I've thought about getting both those titles and Ratatoullie from Amazon UK, but only Frozen was listed as region A while BH6 and Rat are region B, so I held off.

However, I got lucky a few weeks ago and found a copy of Frozen 3D on Amazon U.S. It was $18.00 through an Amazon affiliate (or whatever they're called) who had some region A UK editions.
Old 12-01-15, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

In the UK, Frozen and BH6 are both region free (or more precisely Region A/B/C), Ratatouille is Region B. I have the German edition of Ratatouille and it looks magnificent.
Old 12-11-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

No Pinnochio?

The Pinocchio Blu-ray (2009) is older than the Snow White set released in 2010.
Old 12-18-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the UK, Frozen and BH6 are both region free (or more precisely Region A/B/C), Ratatouille is Region B. I have the German edition of Ratatouille and it looks magnificent.
You're right, but I would swear that BH6 was listed as region B when I first checked Amazon UK. I'll have to order BH6 ASAP.

I have two questions, if you don't mind. 1) Is Ratatouille 3D an all region disk? 2) Who did you get it from? Thanks.

I am beyond disappointed that Disney has not released these in the U.S. Somewhere last year or the year before, I read an interview with Brad Bird where he stated that 3D work on The Incredibles had been completed. When I think about it, it just infuriates me no end that The Incredibles will probably get the same non-U.S. release treatment.

My only consolation is that it appears it will cost me less for these titles than buying U.S. versions.
Old 12-18-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No Pinnochio?

The Pinocchio Blu-ray (2009) is older than the Snow White set released in 2010.
It's possible that with this new Signature line that the movies that Walt directly had a hand in will be released in the order they were completed.
Old 12-18-15, 11:30 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jon2
I have two questions, if you don't mind. 1) Is Ratatouille 3D an all region disk? 2) Who did you get it from? Thanks.
No, it's Region B. I picked it up from the Exchange forum. Giles was selling it. It's actually my favorite Pixar so far, and the 3D is really great.
Old 12-19-15, 08:23 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jon2
You're right, but I would swear that BH6 was listed as region B when I first checked Amazon UK. I'll have to order BH6 ASAP.
BTW, don't trust the Amazon listings that show what region the disc is. They're hardly ever right. Go check other sites like blu-ray.com or zavvi or something to confirm if it's an issue for you.
Old 12-20-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the Alladin sequels (Return of Jafar and King of Thieves) coming to BD or not?

Heard it'd be out Jan 5 but I don't see it up for pre-order yet.
Old 12-21-15, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jan 5 is the release date for their exclusivity at Disney Movie Club. They should be widely available at all retailers a few months after that.
Old 01-07-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Following the other Target Disney exclusives, Snow White will have the storybook. Also, a $5 gift card if you preorder.

Old 01-22-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow White review:

Disney representatives have confirmed that this release features the same audio and video presentations found on the film's previous Diamond Edition release. Several new supplements have been added, several carry over, and two are altered from that first release, but the Diamond Edition is still the more feature-packed of the two.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Snow-W...144704/#Review

NEW! In Walt's Words: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1080p, 4:22): Archival audio footage from an interview with Walt Disney in 1956, set to pictures. Disney discusses seeing, and finding inspiration in, the original live action feature and continues to discuss the process of constructing the animated film. Included are discussions of referencing real-life actors in the animation process, the movie's premiere and release, what the film's success meant to the studio, and the movie's legacy.

NEW! Iconography (1080p, 7:16): This piece begins with individuals reflecting on their history with the film and continues on to discuss the title character's iconic, long-standing popularity. It also examines the iconic objects, elements, and dialogue in the film; the picture's legacy; and people's work that has been inspired from Snow White.

NEW! @DisneyAnimation: Designing Disney's First Princess (1080p, 5:16): Animator Mark Henn, Art Director Michael Giaimo, Art Director Bill Schwab, and Art Director Lorelay Bové discuss the film's character design history, inspirations, and the artists who designed Disney's first princess and the film's supporting characters.

NEW! The Fairest Facts of Them All: 7 Things You May Not Know About Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1080p, 4:37): Sofia Carson from Disney's Descendants shares some interesting facts about conspiracy theories surrounding the film's release, voice acting, Dwarf names, Snow White's original hair color, the princess' rosy cheeks, animator bonuses, and Dopey's unique history in the movie.

NEW! Snow White In Seventy Seconds (1080p, 1:12): A rapid-fire Hip-Hop retelling of the story.

NEW! Alternate Sequence: The Prince Meets Snow White (1080p, 3:39): A never-before-seen sequence featuring Snow White meeting the Prince for the forest time. It features voice recreation inspired by early story discussion transcripts and story sketches from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library.

NEW! (sort of) Disney's First Feature: The Making of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1080p, 33:15): A lengthier version of the supplement entitled The One that Started It All found on the Diamond Edition release, Disc 2.
Old 01-31-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Any word on what's being released in the fall?

Snow White coming this Tues... still $22.99 everywhere. Not going to drop to $19.99?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.