TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Columbo appreciation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Columbo appreciation

I can't stop watching this show on Netflix. Things I love about Columbo:

1. Falk's portrayal of Columbo is rightfully iconic. His overly polite, bumbling manner is constantly being mistaken for incompetence. He's often being truly patronizing and the murderers mistake it for stupidity. His instantly memorable character tics (being "surprised" how much luxury things cost, "forgetting" to eat, his invisible wife, his sqeamishness around guns etc) are all endearing and a joy to spot. When he drops the mask, gets serious and shrewdly lays out his case the transformation is always startling.

2. The scripts are excellent top to bottom. The plots are often ingenious and remarkably watertight for a TV show. Great clues, good schemes, nice "gotcha" moments. Also, the series was constantly self-referential with many episodes pointing subtly back to the show's history. The show is essentially about the downfall of arrogance and knows that there's nothing more entertaining than watching a rich, vain heel get what they deserve.

3. Each episode is very rewatchable. The "reverse detective" structure is extremely effective in developing dramatic tension in a unique manner. Also, each episode was shot as a stand alone film with uneven episode lengths and unique filming styles employed from one episode to the next. No network would tolerate a non-serial, 90+ minute show with no theme tune, adult plotting and subtle writing these days. However, as a result the show is never cliched even 40+ years later.

4. The show's production always involved excellent talent. The guest stars were mostly A-listers in their time, the writers were all well known Hollywood talent, the directors were the best on TV (Spielberg directed the first true episode).

5. The frequent location shoots and top-drawer production values added immeasurably to the quality of the show. The network spent a lot of money producing this show, as a result the show holds up visually to this day.

6. For its time and with a few notable exceptions, the show is remarkably non-judgmental in its treatment of (what could have been) divisive topics like questionable morality, feminism, non-Americans, politics, drugs, sexuality, minorities etc. There are remarkably few cringe-worthy moments in the show, especially when compared to any other contemporaneous show.

Top five episodes:
1. Murder by the Book
2. Any Old Port in the Storm
3. By Dawn's Early Light
4. Try and Catch Me
5. Troubled Waters

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-30-15 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Columbo appreciation

On a related note, the complete series is $42.50 on Amazon today.
Old 11-30-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I can't stop watching this show on Netflix. Things I love about Columbo:

1. Falk's portrayal of Columbo is rightfully iconic. His overly polite, bumbling manner is constantly being mistaken for incompetence. He's often being truly patronizing and the murderers mistake it for stupidity. His instantly memorable character tics (being "surprised" how much luxury things cost, "forgetting" to eat, his invisible wife, his sqeamishness around guns etc) are all endearing and a joy to spot.

2. The scripts are excellent top to bottom. The plots are often ingenious and remarkable watertight for a TV show. Great clues, good schemes, nice "gotcha" moments. Also, the series was constantly self-referential with many episodes pointing subtly back to the show's history. The show is essentially about the downfall of arrogance and knows that there's nothing more entertaining than watching a rich, vain heel get what's they deserve.

3. Each episode is very rewatchable. The "reverse detective" structure is extremely effective in developing dramatic tension in a unique manner. Also, each episode was shot as a stand alone film with uneven episode lengths and unique filming styles employed from one episode to the next. No network would tolerate a non-serial, 90+ minute show with no theme tune, adult plotting and subtle writing these days. However, as a result the show is never cliched even 40+ years later.

4. The show's production always involved excellent talent. The guest stars were mostly A-listers in their time, the writers were all well known Hollywood talent, the directors were the best on TV (Spielberg directed the first true episode).

5. The frequent location shoots and top-drawer production values added immeasurably to the quality of the show. The network spent a lot of money producing this show, as a result the show holds up visually to this day.

6. For its time and with a few notable exceptions, the show is remarkably non-judgmental in its treatment of (what could have been) divisive topics like questionable morality, feminism, non-Americans, politics, drugs, sexuality, minorities etc. There are remarkably few cringe-worthy moments in the show, especially when compared to any other contemporaneous show.

Top five episodes:
1. Murder by the Book
2. Any Old Port in the Storm
3. By Dawn's Early Light
4. Try and Catch Me
5. Troubled Waters
I couldn't agree more.

I never paid attention to this show growing up, and probably wouldn't have appreciated it that way I do today when I watch.

Like you I thought the same thing this summer, and I binged in the summer for a couple of seasons, but have this show in my hip pocket for further binging.

This show was split into two as well, it came back in the late 80's and those can be found on Hallmark and or METV I don't know if Netflix has those. I watched a bunch of those as well, and they are terrific.

Peter Falk was great in this, and I agree it holds up incredibly well. A great Netflix watch at any time.

The older A list starts are a real treat to watch, almost every ep has some start power.

The writing talent was great as well, Steven Bocho cut his teeth on this show he is all over the early eps and Ep #3 was directed by a gent known by the name of Steven Spielberg!

Good stuff!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pisodes#Pilots
The NBC years (1968–1978)
The ABC years (1989–2003)
Old 11-30-15, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I'm tempted, but this is not in BluRay, the Netflix and hallmark recordings all look pretty sharp, I wonder if it will be released in bluray?
Old 11-30-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I don't recall watching the show much, but I really like Rockford and Magnum. Would I like this as well?
Old 11-30-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
I don't recall watching the show much, but I really like Rockford and Magnum. Would I like this as well?
Unequivocally yes. I also like Rockford but Columbo's in another league. Watch "Murder by the Book" (the first non-pilot episode) and see if you like it.
Old 11-30-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the show, but one thing that bothered me was that nearly every episode was about someone rich or famous.

And regarding the talent, I also found it amusing that Robert Culp was the guest star/killer three times in as many years. It just shows how much they viewed these more as made for TV movies than a traditional TV series.
Old 11-30-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
I also found it amusing that Robert Culp was the guest star/killer three times in as many years.
Jack Cassidy was the murderer three times, Patrick McGoohan was the killer four times.
Old 11-30-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Jack Cassidy was the murderer three times, Patrick McGoohan was the killer four times.
Sorta related, I watched Silver Streak after many years and Patrick McGoohan was the bad guy -- his voice did sound familiar at least.
Old 11-30-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I haven't watched the show since I was a child, when my mother was watching it, but I liked it a lot back then. It seemed to stand out from the rest of her detective/court shows.
Old 11-30-15, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Stephen J Cannell wrote an ep or two of Columbo, so yes defintely!
Old 11-30-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Good show. Much better than something like "Murder She Wrote", which, while it had its charms (primarily Lansbury), was largely soap opera hokum.
Old 11-30-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

The one with Leonard Nimoy was pretty good, too; it was one of very few times there was a scene in which Columbo loses his cool.
Old 11-30-15, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go through the set every 10 years or so. One of the best, big three network shows, of all time.

Last edited by Astrofan; 12-01-15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 12:17 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Columbo is my favorite TV show of all time. As much as I love GOT and Breaking Bad, there is just nothing like Columbo. "Any Port in a Storm" is my favorite episode I think.
Old 12-01-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought all the DVD box sets when they came out. The show was far better in its early years, but even the 90s episodes had some gems. I agree with everything you said. Storylines were always great and riveting. Acting was also fantastic.

My personal favorites (apologies for lack of titles off hand...i am a fan..but not an expert).

Any Port in a Storm - As you mentioned this is a great episode with Donald Pleasance.

Great Santini - One of the Jack Cassidy episodes where he is a magician.

An episode where there is a developer building a new city center and he kills the texan financer.

The episode with the writer who provides arms to the IRA.

The episode with the Chess Grandmaster who is deaf.

John Cassavettes as the music conductor.

Nicol Williamson as the killer who programs his dogs to kill when they hear the words Rose Bud.

As much as i love McGoohan, his accent always distracts me when he is trying to play an American. The episode with him as the Army Colonel is still very good.
Old 12-01-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

As someone mentioned, i forgot Robert Culp was in this so often. Between him, Cassidy and McGoohan you had practically every killer on the show. The episode with Culp as the PI who accidentally kills the wife of a client is a great one. He always plays such a smarmy son of a bitch.

Another great episode that came to mind was the one where the Police Chief does the criss cross murder with his friend. Episodes like this are great because of the the way Columbo nails them in the end.

So of the weakest episodes i find are the one with the twins played by Martin Landau (who is usually great), the episode with the woman who killed but is experiencing early signs of dementia. Most of the later episodes as i said, especially the one where the guy runs like a Playboy Magazine and pretends to be killed.
Old 12-01-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vipper II
The one with Leonard Nimoy was pretty good, too; it was one of very few times there was a scene in which Columbo loses his cool.
A Stitch in Crime, excellent episode. That scene is great: Columbo loses his patience, slams down the water pitcher and directly threatens the murderer. He's through fucking around. As you said, this display of genuine anger never happens anywhere else in the entire run of the series and it's shocking.
Old 12-01-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by james2025a
Great Santini - One of the Jack Cassidy episodes where he is a magician.
Any time Cassidy is the killer, you know it's going to be a great episode. It's called "Now You See Him" and I really like to story in this one.

An episode where there is a developer building a new city center and he kills the texan financer.
Blueprint for Murder, Patrick O'Neal as the murderer. Good choice.

The episode with the Chess Grandmaster who is deaf.
Most Dangerous Match, featuring a particularly gruesome way to (try) to kill someone.

John Cassavettes as the music conductor.
Etude in Black, a classic among Columbo fans.

The episode with him as the Army Colonel is still very good.
By Dawn's Early Light, already mentioned above.

This is all from memory, maybe I need to watch less Columbo...

Others worth mentioning:
Identity Crisis: McGoohan as a murdering spy, Columbo tangles with the CIA.

Negative Reaction: Dick Van Dyke as a particularly despicable murderer: a photographer who offs his wife and then frames an ex-con. The gotcha is especially satisfying with this low life.

Swan Song: Johnny Cash essentially playing himself (except as a murderer) who kills his wife and girlfriend in a particularly inventive way. Great last second gotcha at the very end.

Candidate for Crime: Jackie Cooper delivers a great performance as a true asshole: a completely amoral murdering congressman who will do anything.

Forgotten Lady: a faded film star murders her husband. The motive and resolution are truly heartbreaking in this case. A unique episode in many ways.

Murder under Glass: Louis Jourdan as a slimy restaurant critic kills a restaurant owner who he's extorting. In a rare situation, Jourdan actually tries to kill Columbo. Columbo seems to particularly relish catching him.

Most Crucial Game: Culp as a NFL team manager who offs the playboy team owner in a Swiss watch of a plan. The victim is played by an almost unrecognizable Dean Stockwell, who was also in Troubled Waters.
Old 12-01-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I'm tempted, but this is not in BluRay, the Netflix and hallmark recordings all look pretty sharp, I wonder if it will be released in bluray?
I would guess that they would think the demographic wasn't a match. MOD would be your best bet, but who knows how long that format will last either.
Old 12-01-15, 03:58 PM

I always loved the one with the Mensa group, and the Faye Dunaway episode of the new ones is great as well.
Old 12-01-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

No network would tolerate a non-serial, 90+ minute show with no theme tune, adult plotting and subtle writing these days.
Excepting for the theme tune, PBS's Masterpiece Mystery tends to follow this. It's interesting to note that Columbo was part of a "Mystery Movie" series for most of its run, where it traded off airings with other mystery series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_NBC_Mystery_Movie

In this was it's pretty close to how Masterpiece Mystery works, although Masterpiece Mystery tends to all of the season's episodes for one series before moving to the next:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myster..._on_Mystery.21

It's also interesting to note that there was an 11-year gap between seasons 7 and 8 of Columbo, meaning it's a show that was effectively relaunched.

CBS also recently had the Tom Selleck starring Jesse Stone series of TV movies, although those were limited to one a year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_...r)#Filmography
Old 12-01-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
As someone mentioned, i forgot Robert Culp was in this so often. Between him, Cassidy and McGoohan you had practically every killer on the show. The episode with Culp as the PI who accidentally kills the wife of a client is a great one.
Just the other day was watching a Law & Order rerun. Detectives Bratt and Orbach are sent to LA in connection with a case. They run into Robert Culp(playing himself) on the beach.
Old 12-01-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is an episode where Culp plays a researcher in advertising and subliminal messages. The episode is mostly set at his company building which includes a theater for test screening. Since the murder took place during a screening Columbo spends a lot of time looking into the procedures of showing a film, where everyone one was, etc.

The episode is memorable to me because it was the first time I saw film reel cigarette burns explained. They are the kind of thing that you never fully notice until they are pointed out and then you can never unsee them.
Old 12-02-15, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
There is an episode where Culp plays a researcher in advertising and subliminal messages. The episode is mostly set at his company building which includes a theater for test screening. Since the murder took place during a screening Columbo spends a lot of time looking into the procedures of showing a film, where everyone one was, etc.

The episode is memorable to me because it was the first time I saw film reel cigarette burns explained. They are the kind of thing that you never fully notice until they are pointed out and then you can never unsee them.
I honestly do not remember that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.