Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Central Intelligence (2016) -- S: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QrgXU1zHfFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Central Intelligence" follows a one-time bullied geek who grew up to be a lethal CIA agent (Dwayne Johnson), coming home for his high school reunion. Claiming to be on a top-secret case, he enlists the help of the former “big man on campus” (Kevin Hart), now an accountant who misses his glory days. But before the staid numbers-cruncher realizes what he’s getting into it’s too late to get out, as his increasingly unpredictable new friend drags him through a world of shoot-outs, double-crosses and espionage that could get them both killed in more ways than he can count.

Comes out June 17, 2016

Didn't see a thread for this. Saw the trailer last night when I saw Creed. Looks like it could be funny. The last scene of the trailer I found hilarious.

So The Rock goes from big budget action disaster film to a buddy slapstick comedy for his big summer movies.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-27-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Central Intelligence (2016) -- S: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart

I saw this too before Creed. I wouldn't care for this usually but The Rock sells the shit out of his personalities.
Old 03-16-16, 11:19 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 03-16-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

doesn't look terrible, i guess
Old 03-16-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Love The Rock. This feels like it'll be like The Rundown which I enjoyed way more than I should have.
Old 03-20-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Dwayne makes every movie better just by being in it.
Old 03-21-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Pass can't stand that little troll Hart.
Old 05-19-16, 07:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

looks like shit, but the tagline is pure genius.

Old 05-20-16, 06:56 AM

I agree about the tagline. Thought that since I saw the trailer months ago.
Old 06-01-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Never realized what a little squirt Hart is until I saw him and Dwayne together.
Old 06-08-16, 03:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the opportunity to see this at a sneak preview on Saturday. Will post my thoughts afterward.
Old 06-08-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the tag line for this too, it's funny to see it on billboards all around here. I don't really care for Hart though.
Old 06-08-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

If Johnson maintains that dorky, gleeful attitude throughout the whole movie that they've portrayed in the tv ads, this could be a really fun movie.
Old 06-08-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^He does pretty much - saw a screening tonight - it is goofy fun, with good chemistry between Johnson and Hart... Sitcom level plot and only a few action sequences (which are short and nothing special). If you're looking for a good buddy comedy, this one does have a lot of laughs (if you hate Hart's manic brand though, you may be more annoyed than anything). If you're looking for an ACTION comedy, I think you'll be disappointed a bit...if you're looking for a spy movie, steer clear Paint by numbers plot but the likeable cast goes a long way - not high art but I laughed throughout and had fun with it.
Old 06-11-16, 09:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review at Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies. I just saw Central Intelligence today.

Central Intelligence (PG-13) - Surprisingly good chemistry is at the heart of this fun buddy flick

I know, straight-out comedies are not my usual shtick. Unless it’s sci-fi, action, comic book or animation oriented, or something aimed at families, I tend to wait for comedies and dramas to hit the Redbox. However, I had the opportunity to catch a sneak preview of “Central Intelligence”, starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Kevin Hart.

As seen in the trailers and commercials, “Central Intelligence” opens in 1996, when we meet a bullied, over-weight free spirit who is removed from the locker room showers and thrown, naked, into the gym during a senior pep rally. The only one to come to his rescue is the school’s golden boy, a top athlete and honor student, who’s just been recognized for all of his achievements.

Flash-forward to the present. It’s the eve of the 20th anniversary reunion, and golden boy has moved on from past high school glory, having gone to college, marrying the homecoming queen, and becoming an skilled accountant. He wants nothing to do with the reunion, and feels unfulfilled in his current job. Things begin to change when he gets a Facebook friend request from the boy he rescued two decades earlier, who has transformed himself into an hunky Adonis with his own particular set of skills. However, the former outcast is still haunted by his high school years, and idolizes the only person who ever showed him kindness. He reveals himself to be a CIA agent, and the movie really takes off.

Soon they are entangled in an action spy plot that involves satellite codes, double- and triple-crosses, and selling to the highest bidder, but Johnson and Hart lay on the laughs and the heart with ease. It is obvious that both of them, especially Johnson, are having a great time with their characters. Johnson’s Bob Stone may not be who he seems to be, but then again, maybe he is exactly as he seems. That’s part of the fun of his character, unicorn t-shirt and fanny pack included.

“Central Intelligence” also contains one of the funniest marriage therapy sessions ever committed to film. The audience I saw it with was roaring with laughter through the whole scene. There’s also a great deal of humor based on the difference in the physical stature of the two leads.

Now this movie IS rated PG-13, and it is reflected mostly in brief bits of dialogue, some which centers around slang for the male anatomy. There is one “f” bomb, and quite a few s**ts and other milder profanities peppered into the proceedings. Hart’s character has a male co-worker who is basically a sleaze, and his mouth gets him exactly what he deserves. There is brief male rear nudity, confined to the first 5 minutes of the film, and a flash towards the end of the movie. There’s a bit of gun play, and a some slap-stick humor incorporated into a few of the action bits.

Overall, I enjoyed “Central Intelligence”, it was extremely funny through most of the film, and think it really worked mostly because of the all-in performance of Johnson, one of the most entertaining folks working in film today. I’ve seen fewer films with Hart, but he does have the exasperated, what-have-I-gotten-myself-into type of character down to a science, and the two of them just clicked. I am giving “Central Intelligence” 3 and a half out of 5.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 06-16-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 06:58 AM

Currently 67% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/central_intelligence/
Old 06-17-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I didn't know this was directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber. I've enjoyed his other two major comedies (We're the Millers, Dodgeball) so I'll give this a shot.
Old 06-17-16, 10:42 AM

^^^ That's the main reason I am considering checking this out in the theatre.
Old 06-23-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised with this one. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan, so The Rock was my reason for checking this out (this and a friend dragging me along to see it). I thought The Rock and Kevin Hart had great chemistry here ad there were several moments when I laughed out loud (as did the audience).

The Rock's character was sympathetic yet badass, although some of the stuff he did was over-the-top and awkward.

Hart was decent and did what he usually does. I did enjoy this a lot more than I thought I would.
Old 06-26-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it was a fun movie.

It's a perfect movie to rent for a boring weekend, it will make it better.
Old 06-26-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Pretty good movie. More comedy, than action. It's a nice summer flick that's worth a watch. Not a must-see in theaters, but if you eventually rent/stream it, you'll most likely enjoy it.

I actually think this was Dwayne Johnson's best acting performance. He really sold that half dorky, half kick ass persona.
Old 06-26-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my doubts about this movie but it's pushing $70 million. Dwayne Johnson can do no wrong it seems. Well, there was Hercules, but we can blame Rattner.
Old 06-28-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had fun at this. Great chemistry. Like others have said, if Hart's manic comedy is not your cup of tea then you probably won't enjoy this. Johnson acting like a 14 year old girl through this was funny. A cool nod to 16 candles in aa couple spots. A couple nice cameos as well.
Old 06-28-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just got back from seeing a matinee. A lot of fun. Johnson and Hart were very funny and had great chemistry. I laughed out loud quite a few times. It was definitely more of a buddy comedy, but there was some fun action scenes. I enjoyed seeing Johnson play a pretty dorky character in the body of a badass. Good change of pace for him since he played an action hero last summer in San Andreas.

I think the trailers kind of ruined the opening scene with Johnson (Bob) as a fatty doing the En Vogue dance naked in the shower. They should have kept that as a surprise.

Hart is very manic, but you know what you either like him or you don't. I did think he was likable here.

The cameo at the end was a nice surprise.

Not sure if I would watch this again, but it's definitely worth seeing at least once if you're a fan of either Johnson or Hart.

I'd give this a solid B+. The 2 hour running time goes by pretty fast.
Old 06-28-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminded me a little bit of Knight and Day. This was funnier but the plot has all been done before. I rarely figure out the twist but I did on this one. Still agree it's a solid B+

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.