Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E04) -- "How Does She Do It?" -- 11/23/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S1E04) -- "How Does She Do It?" -- 11/23/15

KARA IS PULLED IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS WHEN SHE BABYSITs CAT'S SON WHILE TRYING TO STOP A SERIES OF BOMBINGS, ON "SUPERGIRL," MONDAY, NOV. 23

Editor's note: The air date for this episode has changed.

Levi Miller Guest Stars as Carter Grant, Cat's Son, and Jenna Dewan-Tatum Guest Stars as Lucy Lane

"How Does She Do It?" - Kara's two identities are stretched thin when Supergirl must protect National City from a series of bombings and Kara is tasked with babysitting Cat's son, Carter. Also, James is conflicted when his ex-girlfriend Lucy Lane seeks to rekindle their relationship, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Nov. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Levi Miller guest stars as Carter Grant, Cat's son, and Jenna Dewan-Tatum guest stars as Lucy Lane.

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow "Winn" Schott)
RECURRING CAST:

Peter Facinelli (Maxwell Lord)
Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Lucy Lane)
Briana Venskus (Agent Vasquez)
Rich Ceraulo (Agent Hartmann)
GUEST CAST:

Levi Miller (Carter Grant)
Scott Michael Campbell (Ethan Knox)
Tristin Mays (Paulina)
Carly Nykanen (Editor)
Jay Jackson (Male Newscaster)
Stephanie Czajkowski (Security Guard)
Renee Pezzotta (Teacher)

WRITTEN BY: Yahlin Chang and Ted Sullivan

BASED ON: The Characters Appearing in the DC Comics

DIRECTED BY: Thor Freudenthal

Note: This is indeed episode 4. It was originally scheduled to air last week, but was postponed.
Old 11-23-15, 07:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S1E04) -- "How Does She Do It?" -- 11/23/15

Anyone see and find it a little odd that Netflix was promoting Marvels Jessica Jones during a commercial break?
Old 11-23-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I should have known better, but my DVR did not pick this one up. Caught it at about the fifteen minute mark.
Old 11-23-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone see and find it a little odd that Netflix was promoting Marvels Jessica Jones during a commercial break?
Funny that these are the two shows I'm currently watching. Talk about total different ends of the spectrum

That being said, this is a fun light show. Bit too much with the relationship stuff, but always enjoyable.
Old 11-23-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"What makes her a hero?"
"Her legs!"
Old 11-23-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I was surprised they didn't play up that kid's crush on Supergirl. This was a good episode for the most part and the FX continue to impress. It really does make the Flash and Arrow much cheaper looking shows by comparison. I like the way they are slowly developing Maxwell Lord. What I would give for a L-Ron reference or cameo.

Anyone else think that Jimmy and Lucy have far more chemistry together than Kara and Jimmy? Jimmy and Lucy actually look like a couple.

I do wish they would include more fan nods but the comic book audience doesn't seem to be much of a priority on this series. This is all about girl power.
Old 11-24-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow, James & Lucy? Not in the slightest. I thought they had zero chemistry. Every scene they were in together was cringe-worthy. I think there is a tiny spark there between James and Kara though.

Cat Grant: "Get me a salad. Any kind...as long as there is a cheeseburger on top."

I'm willing to suspend disbelief with a flying alien from another planet that shoots lasers out her eyeballs but believing a cheeseburger has ever crossed Callista Flockart's lips? Come on, way to pull me right out of an episode, writers.
Old 11-24-15, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Appears Maxwell Lord will be Supergirls Lex Luther.

They do downplay Kryptonians abilities compared to the comics.

It is an entertaining series so far.
Old 11-24-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears the writers watched a lot of Superman: The Animated Series with Superman's diminished power levels. I don't foresee this Supergirl flying through the heart of the sun anytime soon.

It wasn't focused on in the shot but Kara apparently picked up how to handle her freezing breath power. They briefly showed her using it putting out the fire at the building.
Old 11-24-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I should have known better, but my DVR did not pick this one up. Caught it at about the fifteen minute mark.
Mine didn't either. My DVR is Win 7 based... maybe it is time to think about alternatives.
Old 11-24-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

After watching this last night, I really don't think it needed to be postponed. CBS was obviously being reactive, but there was nothing theme-wise and content wise that would have been too dark or offensive IMO. It was very much in the tone of the previous episodes.

Interesting that they made Cat Grant a single mother. I remember in Lois and Clark when Tracy Scoggins played her she was single and kind of a flirt.

Henshaw's red eyes and powers are what I'm curious about. Is he supposed to be alien?
Old 11-24-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It appears the writers watched a lot of Superman: The Animated Series with Superman's diminished power levels. I don't foresee this Supergirl flying through the heart of the sun anytime soon.
That was one part about the animated series that bugged the hell out of me. He was too weak to do almost anything along with being too slow.

She can get stronger. They also likely don't want to over power her for a weekly show. Just not used to bombs knocking out Kryptonians.

Like when her aunt said they have no wepons that can hurt her.....well......
Old 11-24-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Was I the only one yelling at the TV when Supergirl started flying horizontally out of the city with that bomb? Fortunately, this was just so Hank could yell at her and tell her to head UP. I guess that's part of her learning curve on the show, but you'd think anyone would know to do that.
Old 11-24-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2015/11/24/supergi...ode-13-kal-el/

A young Kal-El will appear in episode 13 that will air early next year. They are still casting the part.
Old 11-25-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would guess he appears in a flashback, which I guess is better than nothing.
Old 11-25-15, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hank is showing more of those cyborg superman powers, is all I'm sayin'
Old 11-25-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
After watching this last night, I really don't think it needed to be postponed. CBS was obviously being reactive, but there was nothing theme-wise and content wise that would have been too dark or offensive IMO.
I think they just ran a mile from anything involving bombs after the Paris tragedy.

Henshaw's red eyes and powers are what I'm curious about. Is he supposed to be alien?
In the comics:

Spoiler:
Henshaw is a cyborg who's a villain.
Old 11-25-15, 09:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this show even air in France?
Old 11-26-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/...des-per-seaso/

Rumor: Supergirl and The Flash will have a 2 part crossover in May. That's if Supergirl gets a back 9.
Old 11-26-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Cross channel cross-over? That's pretty huge. How is Supergirl faring DJariya?
Old 11-26-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The debut ratings were massive but have since steadily fallen. Supergirl was a bold gamble by CBS to go younger and reach demographics that skip their channel, it is almost certain to get picked up for a full season. If the ratings level off, CBS should keep Supergirl around for the long haul. They can't sustain it if the ratings took another big hit.
Old 11-26-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
That was one part about the animated series that bugged the hell out of me. He was too weak to do almost anything along with being too slow.
The creators freely admitted that they fudged that wildly though. Sometimes he's struggling to lift a plane or catch a missile, others he's going toe-toe with Darkseid and racing the Flash. It basically depended on the episode. And the kept powering him up more as Justice League went along. I always rather liked that approach, even as a kid, it actually meant that once in a while, you could feel a little sense of suspense. Superman is so ridiculously powerful in the comics that he must be insanely hard to write for, by scaling him way back meant that they could actually come up with a credible threat every week without Kryptonite. But then, I'm biased. With failed Superman projects piling up around DC's ankles, I think that The Animated Series looks better and better with every passing year.
Old 11-26-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

In the comics:

Spoiler:
Henshaw is a cyborg who's a villain.
I had forgotten that, I was trhinking he might be J'onn J'onzz
Old 11-26-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

The creators freely admitted that they fudged that wildly though. Sometimes he's struggling to lift a plane or catch a missile, others he's going toe-toe with Darkseid and racing the Flash. It basically depended on the episode. And the kept powering him up more as Justice League went along. I always rather liked that approach, even as a kid, it actually meant that once in a while, you could feel a little sense of suspense. Superman is so ridiculously powerful in the comics that he must be insanely hard to write for, by scaling him way back meant that they could actually come up with a credible threat every week without Kryptonite. But then, I'm biased. With failed Superman projects piling up around DC's ankles, I think that The Animated Series looks better and better with every passing year.
They did correct that in an episode near the end of JLU were he goes up against Darkseid. Superman explains that he walks on egg shelf literally all the time but against Darkseid he can finally go full force.
Old 11-27-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The best Superman stories are constructed around his highly developed moral code. But action sells better to the masses than depicting Superman suffering a crisis of conscience when a moral quandary puts lives at stake.

This episode actually took the easy way out for Kara. The DEO was available to confront the bomb at the airport while she doubled back to stop the bomb on the train. The narrative would have been far more memorable if Kara had been forced in a choice between stopping two bombs in different locations. I suspect Supergirl's production staff doesn't get why Donner's Superman was so beloved by a generation of fans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.