Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Lawrence, 2015) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Lawrence, 2015)
5.56%
0%
27.78%
22.22%
11.11%
11.11%
11.11%
5.56%
5.56%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 03:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

to be completed...
Old 11-19-15, 06:21 PM

Re: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Lawrence, 2015) -- The Reviews Thread

actually, could someone pick this one up for me? i'm sick as a dog now and out tomorrow for bday so earliest won't be till Saturday...
Old 11-21-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm not going to vote, because I have not seen the second film or part 1 of Mockingjay, which would be unfair. I saw this with the GF, so that's my excuse.

I'm not really a fan of the visual aesthetic or cinematography. It's very flat and very soft. It's blah.

I did like the design for the Mutts, which reminded me of Isz's from Sam Keith's "The Maxx" comic book series.
Old 11-21-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm not going to vote, because I have not seen the second film or part 1 of Mockingjay, which would be unfair. I saw this with the GF, so that's my excuse.
I know a straight guy or two who likes this franchise independent of having a girlfriend to drag him to it. Attractive lead, some violence, it has enough stuff to keep the boys interested, and more than just a love triangle .
Old 11-22-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been more positive than negative about the HG movies before this, but I did not think this one worked. It was sluggish, sort of dreary and intensely predictable. It just lacked energy and momentum and in the end almost everything that was shown was irrelevant except for the de-programming of Peta as the war was essentially fought off screen. The twist was maybe the most predictable one ever. Crowd I saw it with liked it though.
Old 11-22-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it yesterday.

1) It was faithful to the book to a fault. I was actually hoping some creative licensing would be utilized for this installment, but it wasn't. Makes for a pretty downbeat movie. However, the cast
does raise the level of these movies a bit above the average YA adaptation.

2) This could have easily been one movie.

3) Glad this series is over so we can see Jennifer Lawrence play more interesting roles.

Finally,
Spoiler:
in the book it's pretty clear after Katniss and Peeta declare their love for another, they are about to have sex. The way they did this scene made it look very matter of fact. They should have at least shown them kiss and such. This couple has been through a lot to get to this point, we need some form of climax.
Old 11-22-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
to be completed...
actually, could someone pick this one up for me? i'm sick as a dog now and out tomorrow for bday so earliest won't be till Saturday...
Why start a thread when you can't even complete the original post? Based on the lack of responses I don't think anyone was dying for a Hunger Games review thread.

Anyway, just saw this and unlike most I thought the last two films were pretty solid. The mutt/zombie scene in this one was pretty friggin intense.
Old 11-22-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Anyway, just saw this and unlike most I thought the last two films were pretty solid. The mutt/zombie scene in this one was pretty friggin intense.
That was a great scene & was intense as hell. I jumped out of my seat when they first showed up.

I went with four stars. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it, and it was a good ending to the series. President Snow was something else in this movie. His facial expressions were on point.

I can't say the twist was predictable or not because we read the book & knew it was coming, but it sure felt good to watch it play out.

Although the last 2 movies really could've been one, I am going to miss this series. It was no Harry Potter, but enjoyable nonetheless with a good cast.
Old 11-22-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mockingjay Part 2 was also too long and plodding for a lot of its running time. Has the pacing of a money grab, unfortunately.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 11-23-15, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too sick to type some shit on a forum while sitting down drugged up? Must be the life.
Old 11-23-15, 09:22 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

to be completed...
Originally Posted by auto
Why start a thread when you can't even complete the original post? Based on the lack of responses I don't think anyone was dying for a Hunger Games review thread.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Too sick to type some shit on a forum while sitting down drugged up? Must be the life.
History repeats itself: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ws-thread.html
Old 11-23-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I skipped this because I didn't want to wait in lines.

I just read that it opened to 101 million, below expectations. I watch a lot of TV and didn't really feel the advertising push on this one. Other than that awkward Dodge product placement commercial. Maybe they felt the money was in the bag and didn't need to push it on TV so much. I think it'll have serious legs and end right alongside the other ones.
Old 11-23-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ It really doesn't matter at this point. By splitting the movie in two they made money back with the first one. This one is just extra money and the end of the series. Nothing really at stake anymore. Glad that this means Lawrence is free to do other stuff.
Old 11-23-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I figured that the lack of marketing was because the base is already built-in. Kind of like how Star Wars could stop marketing today, and still make a BILLION dollars (or whatever). Or by the time you get to Return of the King, you know people are going to flock to see it.
Old 11-23-15, 04:48 PM

shit guys...you do them all. i'm out.

i really only do them for the movies i intend to see and are interested in. that is the reason i make any thread actually. i thought people liked the polls with the stars so i did some other movies that i wasn't so interested in see: Hunger Games. frankly, it takes some time i don't enjoy it as much as i used to, but if i'm gonna get criticized, i'm happy to let it go and stick to my other inane hobbies...
Old 11-23-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Whoa!!!! That's pretty surreal. I bitch about it in that thread too. No recollection of that post but obviously it still pisses me off.
Old 11-24-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it yesterday.

1) It was faithful to the book to a fault. I was actually hoping some creative licensing would be utilized for this installment, but it wasn't. Makes for a pretty downbeat movie. However, the cast
does raise the level of these movies a bit above the average YA adaptation.
It's been awhile but from what i remember I thought they changed Snow's mansion scene at the end?
Spoiler:
Snow had a human barricade of children surrounding the mansion with bombs strapped to them.
Old 11-26-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to watch the first movie. 20 minutes in I bailed.
Watched this one with some friends who were into the the first movies.
We all agreed that this one was terrible.
Bad acting, bad dialogue, characters I didn't care for doing dumb things. It just went on and on. Just when you thought it was going to end.. another scene.
The set design was pretty much the only redeeming feature for me.
Spoiler:
and what's with the Oriental baby at the end?

my friends and I walked out when we saw that. We'd had enough, and all wished we had walked out much sooner.
1 star
Old 11-26-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

^ As far as your spoiler goes - Jennifer Lawrence has a slight
Spoiler:
Asian eye fold to her eyes.
I'm guessing that's why.
Old 11-26-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
^ As far as your spoiler goes - Jennifer Lawrence has a slight
Spoiler:
Asian eye fold to her eyes.
I'm guessing that's why.
That's the only conclusion I could come to as well, but it's a far stretch. It's very obvious, and the entire theatre went silent when that scene came up *teen girls awwing and wooo-ing just beforehand*
Old 11-28-15, 11:02 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This was so slow and plodding. Are young people today entertained by this? I read and enjoyed the first book and film. Everything just got progressively worse from there. Mockingjay 1 at least set me up for something great to happen, but nothing happened.
Old 11-28-15, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This was so slow and plodding. Are young people today entertained by this? I read and enjoyed the first book and film. Everything just got progressively worse from there. Mockingjay 1 at least set me up for something great to happen, but nothing happened.
Not just young people. A lot of you old fucks dug it too.
Old 11-28-15, 12:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't know snake. 21 reviews here and none positive.
Old 12-07-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Yay, its finally over. I thought the first was OK, loved Catching Fire, and thought MJ 1 and 2 should've been just 1 movie. You could just see in the film they were slowing things down to pad time. And every time Peeta had a monologue it brought the film to a halt. When there was action, it was great. With some cuts 1 and 2 wouldve been great as 1 film.
Old 01-16-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Finally caught this last night. Overall I've enjoyed the series but this one was not good. I really dug Mockingjay 1 as it had a decent plot and setup a lot for the final film. Unfortunately after 3 films worth of buildup the payoff was a snoozer.

The first three films aspired to be greater than they were. This one just reinforced that we were all hoodwinked into a teen love triangle the entire time. Sure the beats were there in the previous movies, but it never felt like it was the A plot. The ending to this one was just as lame as the Padme/Anakin scenes in Attack of the Clones.

I also agree with others, the film was sluggish and the twist was too predictable (I have not read the novel). I also felt that the march to Snow's mansion wasn't near as bad as the orange dots on their map made it seem. I was expecting a HG or CF level sequences where every street corner brought a new challenge. But no, we get once challenge and oh, the sewers are clear! Then the mutt scene (which was cool) and that's about it.

So the film was a letdown, but not only that it failed at closing out a series in a satisfactory way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.